Red Wings 2024 October Game Thread

I think this team is similar to last year prior to the Larkin injury and makes the playoffs as a wild card.  

The top unit excels and they get better play from their 2nd and 3rd line Centers.   One of the goalies steps up and plays better than he should.  There will be a similar stretch like last season where everything clicks and they are the best team in the league for 2 and a half weeks.   The PP will be very strong and rank top 7 in the league.  They also get a big surprise from one of the kids that comes up from GR and never goes back.  Not sure which one at the moment.  

97 points

46 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think this team is similar to last year prior to the Larkin injury and makes the playoffs as a wild card.  

The top unit excels and they get better play from their 2nd and 3rd line Centers.   One of the goalies steps up and plays better than he should.  There will be a similar stretch like last season where everything clicks and they are the best team in the league for 2 and a half weeks.   The PP will be very strong and rank top 7 in the league.  They also get a big surprise from one of the kids that comes up from GR and never goes back.  Not sure which one at the moment.  

97 points

I'm very curious to see Edvinsson's impact. Not so much the physicality, though his ability to rub out rushing wingers is going to be at least 2nd best on the team, but for his ability to control the puck, another skill the Wings need more of.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is it with Red Wings goalies the last few years.   For a half a season they look incredible and then they look like they don't belong in the NHL after that.  

When has Husso ever looked incredible? The guy is always hurt. When he has played for us he's still giving up a 3.55 GAA. This season he's got a 9.42 GAA so far haha. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When has Husso ever looked incredible? The guy is always hurt. When he has played for us he's still giving up a 3.55 GAA. This season he's got a 9.42 GAA so far haha. 

he had a good stretch when he first got here, but that was it.  he's been hurt and bad ever since.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Petry and Kane on the ice at the same time makes for one terrible defensive team.

Petry on the ice at any given time at this point in his career is a defensive liability. For a team that preaches two-way, defensively smart hockey for it's young players, it sure doesn't hold the same standard for its veterans. If it did, Petry would have never been brought in to begin with and would not be on this roster now.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Petry on the ice at any given time at this point in his career is a defensive liability. For a team that preaches two-way, defensively smart hockey for it's young players, it sure doesn't hold the same standard for its veterans. If it did, Petry would have never been brought in to begin with and would not be on this roster now.

it's like he has pics on the coaching staff or something. He's had a good run but he's cooked at this point - hang 'em up and stop embarrassing yourself. I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear "Petry fails to clear"

I would rather see what Johansson could do personally.  Holl played hard in preseason I'll give him that....

The play where Petry got hurt was straight comedy.  He runs into a dude off the faceoff trying to get into position, looked like a shoulder or arm injury.  He drops his stick, which somehow deflects the puck straight into the slot onto a Penguins' player's stick for an easy goal.  Really was the story of the game with how ugly it was for the Wings.