Red Wings 2024 October Game Thread

Nice bounce back win.  Great to see that Cam Talbot will be amazing for half a season and then fall apart, then it will be Cossa's turn for a brilliant half-season?  

Wings save the sports day after Michigan doesn't win today and the Tigers lose.    Michigan was just a total no-show today. 

Now, Oregon..............make everyone in Michigan happy and crush OSU's dreams. 

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Also good to see Joe Veleno hasn't lost his knack for shooting the puck right into the center of the goalie's chest.

I didn't see the game, but Veleno's stat line looked decent for how little ice time he got. 4 SOG, 3 blocked shots and 4-of-5 on faceoff wins ain't too shabby in just over 13 minutes. 3 giveaways is not great, though. Only he and Larkin were above 50% on faceoffs.

veleno is a very replaceable 4th lone center.  that's fine.  he's an nhl player for sure, but he's nothing more than a younger luke glendinning.  on his best day.  kind of a come down from his juniors career and his draft slot.

i'd rather the wings had let him test the market and called up kasper instead.  but that would mean kasper would have gone into training camp already having made the team and FAR BE IT for the red wings to let a prospect make the team rather than let him waste another year in the AHL.

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

veleno is a very replaceable 4th lone center.  that's fine.  he's an nhl player for sure, but he's nothing more than a younger luke glendinning

It says a lot that my first reaction here is that Veleno wishes he was a young Glendening and I don’t think much of Glendening lol.

We may see Kasper (or someone else) soon enough since it seemed like Fischer left with a serious injury.  All the fan punching bags are going down early, Chiarot better watch his back. 

I thought Johansson looked pretty solid.  Made some nice exit passes and played transition defense pretty well. I thought Holl even looked decent. Motte seemed to have a tough game. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

veleno is a very replaceable 4th lone center.  that's fine.  he's an nhl player for sure, but he's nothing more than a younger luke glendinning.  on his best day.  kind of a come down from his juniors career and his draft slot.

i'd rather the wings had let him test the market and called up kasper instead.  but that would mean kasper would have gone into training camp already having made the team and FAR BE IT for the red wings to let a prospect make the team rather than let him waste another year in the AHL.

I'll echo SFK's wish that he were as good as Glendening at his age. Luke had more useful speed and was a better forechecker. I will admit Veleno's game does improve - but it's been at a glacial pace.

And despite a pretty depressing level of ineptitude getting the Preds out of their zone in the 3rd,  I will note without further comment that they turned in a shut out on a night when Petry did not play.

Edited by gehringer_2

Holl looked good...Johansson was solid.  Edvinsson is going to be good..seems to have better offensive instincts than MO.  They're going to be a a really good top pair.

Top line should be Tarasenko..Larkin and Raymond.  Cat...Compher and Kane on the second line until Danielson and Kasper get here.

• Like 1

I still like the Husso acquisition, the contract was very bad in hindsight though.  It was worth a try when the Wings didn’t have a NHL level goaltending for the foreseeable future. It sucks he kept getting hurt and never found consistency.

I guess the Fischer injury is pretty serious and they need some roster flexibility?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I still like the Husso acquisition, the contract was very bad in hindsight though.  It was worth a try when the Wings didn’t have a NHL level goaltending for the foreseeable future. It sucks he kept getting hurt and never found consistency.

I guess the Fischer injury is pretty serious and they need some roster flexibility?

call up kasper and mazur and roll with two goalies.