The Insane Weather Thread

What’s going on in Florida after we just got done with the destruction in North Carolina is insane. The videos of tornadoes coming to Florida before the hurricane, and seeing the destruction there is leaving me numb. I hope the casualty numbers are low. Nature is really taunting us these past couple is weeks. 

I get sad in particular with what happens in Florida because we vacation on the gulf side a lot and this is all very familiar looking when I see the buildings and destruction.  I think about all of the people we encountered who lived there and worry that they and their families are ok.  I talked last time to a 32 year old from Ann Arbor who just picked up and left and moved to the Tampa Region to open an ice cream joint on John's Pass.  

The tornados aren't a surprise, or they shouldn't be. That is always the fear on the front right side of a hurricane and it is one of the four threats the NHC monitors. Central and South Florida were lit up on the warning maps all week.

The NHC does great work preparing people for these storms. That Project 2025 plans to strip it down to the studs is something that needs to be amplified.

These storms remind me a bit of some of the bigger storms of the 60s and early 70s. Especially Helene was reminiscent of Agnes, lots of rain and flooding of SW and South Central Virginia. The intensity seems worth, more storms reaching CAT 4 and 5.
Tornadoes have been an outgrowth of the Tropical storms for as long as I remember. Throw in the fact that many of the areas that were mostly rural 30, 40, 50 years ago have seen large population growth and the water has no where to go.

We’re at Oak Island for a week or so. Having reserved a condo months in advance, we consider ourselves fortunate to have avoided all the bad weather. We’re in a stretch of gorgeous weather here with temperatures in the mid 70’s. 

CMRivdogs,

Does Hurricane Hazel of 1955 ring a bell for you? I was newly born at the time it landed at Oak Island. It pretty much destroyed everything here when it hit. There is a historical marker as you cross the bridge coming in noting the historical storm’s presence here nearly 70 years ago. I heard about all my younger years growing up in the piedmont area of N.C. Hazel moved through our hometown in 1955 after landing here.

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

We’re at Oak Island for a week or so. Having reserved a condo months in advance, we consider ourselves fortunate to have avoided all the bad weather. We’re in a stretch of gorgeous weather here with temperatures in the mid 70’s. 

CMRivdogs,

Does Hurricane Hazel of 1955 ring a bell for you? I was newly born at the time it landed at Oak Island. It pretty much destroyed everything here when it hit. There is a historical marker as you cross the bridge coming in noting the historical storm’s presence here nearly 70 years ago. I heard about all my younger years growing up in the piedmont area of N.C. Hazel moved through our hometown in 1955 after landing here.

The name rings a bell from watching the big storms. I was2 in 1954 and living in Western Pennsylvania. 
The ones I remember living in SW Virginia (around Roanoke) were Camille in 1969 and Agnes in 1972. Both caused extensive flooding of the James River. Camille was responsible for pretty much wiping out Scottsville south of Charlottesville and flooding in what's know of the Shokoe Bottom in Richmond. Agnes's was another big one with lots of rain when it came thru, once again major flooding in Richmond. 

Those were the two largest in my memory that was close (kinda) to where we lived. 
My only close encounter was with Gloria in 1985 that skirted the Virginia Beach coast and Pat Robertson took credit for praying it off shore. It was a category 3. I was doing mornings at a radio station in Suffolk Va, about 25-30 miles inland. A little past 5 that morning the tower behind the station fell. Fortunately it only caught a small corner of the building and doubled back before hitting the highway in front embedding about 4 feet of the tower into the driveway. The major casualty was one of my employee's car (a rebuilt Maverick) that was destroyed by the debris

The damn station owner wouldn't reimburse the guy, and insurance didn't cover it. I still feel bad for him. 

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The name rings a bell from watching the big storms. I was2 in 1954 and living in Western Pennsylvania. 
The ones I remember living in SW Virginia (around Roanoke) were Camille in 1969 and Agnes in 1972. Both caused extensive flooding of the James River. Camille was responsible for pretty much wiping out Scottsville south of Charlottesville and flooding in what's know of the Shokoe Bottom in Richmond. Agnes's was another big one with lots of rain when it came thru, once again major flooding in Richmond. 

Those were the two largest in my memory that was close (kinda) to where we lived. 
My only close encounter was with Gloria in 1985 that skirted the Virginia Beach coast and Pat Robertson took credit for praying it off shore. It was a category 3. I was doing mornings at a radio station in Suffolk Va, about 25-30 miles inland. A little past 5 that morning the tower behind the station fell. Fortunately it only caught a small corner of the building and doubled back before hitting the highway in front embedding about 4 feet of the tower into the driveway. The major casualty was one of my employee's car (a rebuilt Maverick) that was destroyed by the debris

The damn station owner wouldn't reimburse the guy, and insurance didn't cover it. I still feel bad for him. 

IMG_0370.jpeg

16 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I remember Hurricanes Camille and Agnus. I was surprised at how many years ago they were! 
The Ford Maverick, that’s a true flashback. Way back in the day I almost bought a Pinto. I settled on a second hand Vega. The picture above tells a story for sure. I never knew the guy that owned the Maverick but I even feel sorry for him looking at that picture. Brutal! 

On 10/10/2024 at 8:17 AM, Edman85 said:

The tornados aren't a surprise, or they shouldn't be. That is always the fear on the front right side of a hurricane and it is one of the four threats the NHC monitors. Central and South Florida were lit up on the warning maps all week.

The NHC does great work preparing people for these storms. That Project 2025 plans to strip it down to the studs is something that needs to be amplified.

I like this idea. The only problem is that this would be only a drop of water in the firehose of horrors.