American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

When’s the Game 6 thread going up?  

Came up a few plays short but what a great run by the boys.  This September and October won’t be forgotten for a long time.   Hopefully it becomes the catalyst for a new run of Tiger playoff teams.  

35 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

would not be shocking at all if this Winter they moved on from their 1st round picks from 2016 (Manning) 2017 (Faedo) 2018 (Mize) and 2020 (Tork). Could throw in 2022 maybe as well (Jung).

Was reading another thread and it got me thinking.  Would you trade all of these players to the Dodgers for Shohei Ohtani, Mookie Betts, and Yoshi Yamamoto?   

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Twins are in disarray, with talks of a sale, so I wouldn’t expect a full court press by them to win the Central or else next year.

I think we will see more of the same in the offseason: continue to improve with tactical free agent signings, minor league free agents and waiver wire pickups, and trades.

One big thing I think has a good chance of happening is Tork getting traded.

I think the Bally sports mess , which will leave almost the entire division looking for new avenues for TV coverage, will be the most impactful variable on the AL Central's off-season. That would also indicate that I would not be surprised if much of the division is very parsimonious this off season .

BTW, I would trade Tork in a heartbeat.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I once did a ranking of the top 20 most memorable Tigers seasons.  I wasn't around for all of them, but I tried to imagine what it would have been like to be there.  I think this season falls in the top 10.  I can't find the list I made, but the top four were obvious:

1968  1984   1935  1945

More recently, 2006 has to be in there.  2011-2013 were great seasons, but there wasn't really one season in that span that stood out as memorable. There weren't any big surpises or drama.  It was just stars doing what stars do.   

I think this season is up there with 06 and 87.  It's kind of a mix between the surprise of 2006 and the end of season drama of 1987.

1972. The last run for the 1968 Champions with Billy Martin at the helm has to be top 10.

12 hours ago, Zakk_Wylde said:

This season was more than I possibly could have asked for.  Fantastic entertaining baseball into October.  Back in April, who would have ever thought?

The question is, can we catch lightning in a bottle and do it again next year?  Or was this year a fluke?

Not a fluke but greatly aided by playing 13 games against the woeful White Sox ( same for KC) that Seattle and Boston didn't have.

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

1972. The last run for the 1968 Champions with Billy Martin at the helm has to be top 10.

Probably true, but the strike that year turned me off.  As a nine-year old who thought baseball was the most important thing in life, I couldn't understand why players would go on strike.  On the other hand, baseball's first strike does make the season memorable.  

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

Not a fluke but greatly aided by playing 13 games against the woeful White Sox ( same for KC) that Seattle and Boston didn't have.

I think it was kind of a fluke that everything came together at the same time.  That doesn't take away from how fun and memorable it was, but I don't think they can come close to repeating it without some substantial moves this off-season.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Probably true, but the strike that year turned me off.  As a nine-year old who thought baseball was the most important thing in life, I couldn't understand why players would go on strike.  On the other hand, baseball's first strike does make the season memorable.  

Wow I totally forgot about the strike.Agree it does add to the season. I was 15 and skipping school to watch Campenerias  throw his bat at Legrow. The 2-1 game was heartbreaking. Wish we had replay of Hendricks nubber to Aurelio at third, It was bang bang and decided the game and series IIRC. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

The 1981 strike season was memorable for me. I was 14 and really looking forward to baseball every day. I was too young to remember 1972 so couldn't believe they would go on strike. Blew a hole in my summer. But when they came back it was a rush to finish, with 8 teams making the playoffs that year, which was a lot at the time. Gibby's walkoff homer in August was as excited as I've ever heard George & Al (Gibby's at bat starts at the 2:20 mark of the "moments to remember" clip below). The race with the Brewers to win the AL East 2nd Half was my experience with the Tigers being in contention of any kind. It came down to the final weekend and I still remember the Brewers' wild celebration when they eliminated the Tigers.

24 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wow I totally forgot about the strike.Agree it does add to the season. I was 15 and skipping school to watch Campenerias  throw his bat at Legrow. The 2-1 game was heartbreaking. Wish we had replay of Hendricks nubber to Aurelio at third, It was bang bang and decided the game and series IIRC. 

The throw from McCauliffe clearly beat Hendricks to the bag by a step, but the announcer thinks the ump was right to say Cash was off the bag. Doesn't look like it here. 1:30-1:55 mark. On the radio, you can hear Ray Lane's call of that play at 1:00:20 of the bottom clip.

image.png.d6e7460fbd94b2cef3bf12b0006ce6dc.png

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

That was one hell of a run. 

As soon as Skubal gave up the grand slam, it was over. The run was based on him dominating in every start, and on Hinch and Fetter pushing the right buttons with everyone else. There were only so many buttons to push with that roster, though.

Basically every hitter other than Carpenter and Meadows disappointed. People are down on Torkelson, and rightly so, but he outhit Greene in the post-season. Had they gotten anything out of either of them they might have squeaked through.

But it was all on the left arm of Skubal. He was a little less than perfect in the 5th (after Greene GIDP in the 4th, and botched a line drive in the 3rd) and that was it. Disappointing end to a historic run. 

Stinky McStinkface was also very good, as was JHM, but they did not get many at bats. Jake was also pretty solid, more than he is normally. And, of course, Parker. Almost makes up for the horrific trade for his brother.

The one guy with the playoff experience, Vierling? Huge disappointment. Couldn't stop striking out. Also, all the other rookies hit like rookies. Just about everyone else was within margin of error for average.

All in all, a mixed bag offensively.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it was kind of a fluke that everything came together at the same time.  That doesn't take away from how fun and memorable it was, but I don't think they can come close to repeating it without some substantial moves this off-season.  

If the Twins hadn't collapsed, we wouldn't have been in there.

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

That was one hell of a run. 

As soon as Skubal gave up the grand slam, it was over. The run was based on him dominating in every start, and on Hinch and Fetter pushing the right buttons with everyone else. There were only so many buttons to push with that roster, though.

Basically every hitter other than Carpenter and Meadows disappointed. People are down on Torkelson, and rightly so, but he outhit Greene in the post-season. Had they gotten anything out of either of them they might have squeaked through.

But it was all on the left arm of Skubal. He was a little less than perfect in the 5th (after Greene GIDP in the 4th, and botched a line drive in the 3rd) and that was it. Disappointing end to a historic run. 

people have to remember we were facing the best pitching staff in the AL. You weren't going to see too many guys put up good averages in the series. We scored about as many runs as I expected, but we gave up too many in two of the games. A lot of randomizing drivers in baseball. Tigers hit several off the wallers that easily could have been dingers. That kind of stuff can always go either way which is why short series are always random outcomes.

47 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

True, but OTOH, everyone has to play the whole schedule. If we had played those 'easy' games earlier in the schedule it might have been the Twins chasing us.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

The throw from McCauliffe clearly beat Hendricks to the bag by a step, but the announcer thinks the ump was right to say Cash was off the bag. Doesn't look like it here. 1:30-1:55 mark. On the radio, you can hear Ray Lane's call of that play at 1:00:20 of the bottom clip.

image.png.d6e7460fbd94b2cef3bf12b0006ce6dc.png

Wow thats greta stuff. I remembered it as Aurilio Rodriguez not McAullife ! I forget the strike also ! I must be old 😉

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

True, but OTOH, everyone has to play the whole schedule. If we had played those 'easy' games earlier in the schedule it might have been the Twins chasing us.

Very true but without so many White Sux games maybe its Seattle and Boston as wild card teams rather than Detroit and KC ?

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

people have to remember we were facing the best pitching staff in the AL. You weren't going to see too many guys put up good averages in the series. We scored about as many runs as I expected, but we gave up too many in two of the games. A lot of randomizing drivers in baseball. Tigers hit several off the wallers that easily could have been dingers. That kind of stuff can always go either way which is why short series are always random outcomes.

All true. Exactly why it was going to come down to Skubal throwing 15 scoreless innings of 45 and Hinch/Fetter managing chaos. It’s remarkable they lasted as long as they did!

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

How are we both baseball nuts when baseball decided to go on strike during our Age 9 Seasons?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

This year would you rather play 39 games against the Rangers, Angels and A's or 39 against the White Sox, Twins, or Royals? Maybe a slight preference for the latter but it's pretty close. Boston was certainly at a disadvantage, but they have more resources than any club in Central so no tears for them. 

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I will get pedantic and say it was 6 games against the White Sox that Boston didn't have. The above implies Boston didn't get to play them at all, when they got them 7 times.

On 10/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, Edman85 said:

How are we both baseball nuts when baseball decided to go on strike during our Age 9 Seasons?

They went on strike during my age 10 season, but hey, at least I got division title out of it.