American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

Thanks for the ride, Tigers !    That was a lot of fun.   Can we do this most years?    

What a great season.  No complaints from me.    Cleveland is a better team.  They are where we want to be in a year or two. 

I hope Cleveland beats the Yankees, but they will have the full weight of MLB against them.   

Don't have to go nuts and spend a fortune, but there are players they can get.   

Priorities

1 - Sign Skubal.  Just do it.  He's your Verlander.   

2 - Don't let Fetter get away.  Make him the highest-paid pitching coach in history if they have to)

3 - Acquire another bat  (Third Base?)

4 - Acquire another starting pitcher  (Skubal-Olson-Mize-maybe Jobe).   

5 - Just cut Javy loose.  It didn't work.  

6 - Get a platoon partner for Sweeney

6 - Find a decent backup Catcher.   Don't think Dingler is quite there yet.  

They are going to need at least one more starting pitcher because MLB will stop allowing teams to use openers.  Maybe they'll let it slide once every five days and if you think teams will get out of it by saying "pitcher's arm is tired after 2 innings", then they'll pass a rule that the pitcher has to go on the injured list

The starting pitching criteria will be   1 - Must pitch at least 4 innings or Must throw 80 pitches or Must face opposing lineup at lest twice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Guardians’ radio announcer says “eliminating the Tigers was an arduous journey just because of how well and how relentless the Tigers have been”. 

Well, take this for what it’s worth.  Of the several Cleveland fans that I encountered around these last few days, none of them wanted to face the Tigers.

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

Tough to take but solace in knowing we have a good base of players and management in place that can draft and develop pointing to more good seasons ahead.

This feels like when the Lions beat the Packers the last game.  They seemed to clear a hurdle there and are moving on to better things.     A more even year next year.  No June Swoon, please.       

We're set in the Outfield with Carpenter-Meadows-Greene and then Vierling and Perez as backups.   

Should not have gotten this far. The bullpen pissed away last game.  Our ace completely fell apart when we needed him the most.

My worst fear is that management will do nothing to improve the team because of the run we had. This team needs a couple bats and a starter. 

1 minute ago, Adullin said:

Should not have gotten this far. The bullpen pissed away last game.  Our ace completely fell apart when we needed him the most.

My worst fear is that management will do nothing to improve the team because of the run we had. This team needs a couple bats and a starter. 

If you add 50-70 million to the payroll, which would put you in the middle of the pack, you might increase attendance by a million. That assumes you spend wisely, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money. 

I’m being a grown-up about this as much as the eight-year-old mentality that inhabits my body is able to.

I never expected a run of this magnitude or to get this far in the postseason, or to even get into the postseason at all.

This team is sort of the assemblage of a very smart doctor Frankenstein who used new body parts instead of old ones, a handsome assemblage which walked around and didn’t throw any children in the water. No reason for torches and pitchforks. I look forward to next year. 

GO TIGERS!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Adullin said:

A couple of quality starting pitchers, a closer and a 1st base bat. Tork hitting a home run every 3 weeks isn't good enough.

Disappointed but not crushed. Thursday morning I felt the Tigers had a great chance of winning this series and then giving the Yankees a scare. But since then has had the feeling of the bubble finally bursting. Even with a win today, Yankees likely would have handled them comfortably. But picked off one target at a time - finished over .500, made the playoffs, won a playoff round, hosted playoff games, got a home win for the fans after a decade away. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Adullin said:

Fell Apart?  

Oh, you mean he wasn't perfect.   Well Damn Him, then.         One of the dumbest takes ever. 

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A couple of quality starting pitchers, a closer and a 1st base bat. Tork hitting a home run every 3 weeks isn't good enough.

I’ll bet they target a RH hitting power hitter although not necessarily at 1B. Sandanter is intriguing. SH who’s strong from both sides of the plate. 40 HRs this year.  Maybe sell him on learning 1B if Tork doesn’t breakout. 

Maybe by not winning this series, ownership will be encouraged to do more than just rest on its laurels and will see the need for adding new faces, bats, arms, whatever it takes. Other teams in this division, especially the Royals and the Twins, are certainly not going to rest on their laurels in the off-season and it’s a solid business decision to do something instead of just hope for the best next year. 

Before you get too torn up, and most of us aren't today.     This team is EXTREMELY flawed and look how far they went !   This bodes well.  Those young guys learned a lot about composure this year.  They have now come into a winning culture and that feeds itself.   It's going to be very hard to get back there.   Can't rest on ****.   Changes must be made to be better.   If you don't best the previous season then it's a disappointment.  So next year it's ALCS or bust, right?    Aim high.   No more accepting mediocrity.   Hopefully it's the start of a semi-long run.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Maybe by not winning this series, ownership will be encouraged to do more than just rest on its laurels and will see the need for adding new faces, bats, arms, whatever it takes. Other teams in this division, especially the Royals and the Twins, are certainly not going to rest on their laurels in the off-season and it’s a solid business decision to do something instead of just hope for the best next year. 

I would imagine they are going to do more than Mark Canha this year.

They don't need anyone for the outfield. 

They're not replacing Tork, not yet.  And they shouldn't.   It can be fixed - it's mental

The one thing that might prevent them from increasing payroll too much is having to pay Javy, what $70 million to go away?  

Just tell Tiger fans their pizzas will cost 25 cents more.    Not too great a sacrifice  

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Before you get too torn up, and most of us aren't today.     This team is EXTREMELY flawed and look how far they went !   This bodes well.  Those young guys learned a lot about composure this year.  They have now come into a winning culture and that feeds itself.   It's going to be very hard to get back there.   Can't rest on ****.   Changes must be made to be better.   If you don't best the previous season then it's a disappointment.  So next year it's ALCS or bust, right?    Aim high.   No more accepting mediocrity.   Hopefully it's the start of a semi-long run.  

Extremely flawed is a good way of putting it. They got an awful lot of mileage out of this team which was unexpected. Making the team better and not just expecting it to mature is really important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Disappointed but not crushed. Thursday morning I felt the Tigers had a great chance of winning this series and then giving the Yankees a scare. But since then has had the feeling of the bubble finally bursting. Even with a win today, Yankees likely would have handled them comfortably. But picked off one target at a time - finished over .500, made the playoffs, won a playoff round, hosted playoff games, got a home win for the fans after a decade away. 

Well put !

Credit to the Tigers team, A.J., Fetters, the developmental staff, the fans, etc.

Funny, BAnderson said after the game, paraphrasing 'Many people questioned if Cleveland did enough at the deadline (Boyd, Cobb, Thomas)'

Well, look at what we did at the deadline. Baseball can be a funny game.

A.J. said it at the presser, we ARE a winning team now. We need to have a good off season, spring and go into next year.

Then again they could add to the team, look better on paper and not even get this far next year. Good old luck is always a part of it.

I am personally not big on long term deals to FAs. Yet, we will have to spend some funds - to trade for or sign the right guy or two.

They had a roster this postseaon of what 26Mil? (off course that is NOT counting Javy, Maeda, Miggy and the players they dealt). SHarris and Greenberg have to see their IS a partial 'core' there now and younger players on the way (Clark, McGonigle, Lazardo, Jobe, etc.). With ownership hopefully they will have a plan to 'add' to what has now been put together. They could even put a trade package together if they 'think' a particular player or two could be acquired to help 'this team' quite a bit.

Go Tigs !

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Fell Apart?  

Oh, you mean he wasn't perfect.   Well Damn Him, then.         One of the dumbest takes ever. 

Yeah, that was a weak take on Skubal. We’d never be here without him.