American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Yeah, that was a weak take on Skubal. We’d never be here without him.

He had ONE bad inning in the postseason.     Okay, he's no Kenny Rogers, but come on, what do you want from a guy. 

Their bullpen ace had a bad inning too.    Maybe, just maybe consider that the team they played today is a really good team and they gotcha for an inning.    I'm sure Skubal doesn't need any advice right.  He's not gonna sleep well for a few days and this will eat him up until next season and then it will motivate him to correct it, even though there isn't much to correct............one bad inning.      

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Yeah, that was a weak take on Skubal. We’d never be here without him.

Both things can be true. He helped carry us to this point. But today he fell all part and put up a five spot by loading the bases, hitting a guy then giving up a grand slam on the next pitch. They aren't mutually exclusive ideas

28 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, take this for what it’s worth.  Of the several Cleveland fans that I encountered around these last few days, none of them wanted to face the Tigers.

I'm pulling for the Gribe to take it all. From here on out, they'll get the exact same treatment from the sports media that the Tigers would've, and I want them to shove it in all of their faces.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thanks for the ride, Tigers !    That was a lot of fun.   Can we do this most years?    

What a great season.  No complaints from me.    Cleveland is a better team.  They are where we want to be in a year or two. 

I hope Cleveland beats the Yankees, but they will have the full weight of MLB against them.   

Don't have to go nuts and spend a fortune, but there are players they can get.   

Priorities

1 - Sign Skubal.  Just do it.  He's your Verlander.   

2 - Don't let Fetter get away.  Make him the highest-paid pitching coach in history if they have to)

3 - Acquire another bat  (Third Base?)

4 - Acquire another starting pitcher  (Skubal-Olson-Mize-maybe Jobe).   

5 - Just cut Javy loose.  It didn't work.  

6 - Get a platoon partner for Sweeney

6 - Find a decent backup Catcher.   Don't think Dingler is quite there yet.  

They are going to need at least one more starting pitcher because MLB will stop allowing teams to use openers.  Maybe they'll let it slide once every five days and if you think teams will get out of it by saying "pitcher's arm is tired after 2 innings", then they'll pass a rule that the pitcher has to go on the injured list

The starting pitching criteria will be   1 - Must pitch at least 4 innings or Must throw 80 pitches or Must face opposing lineup at lest twice.  

How about moving Keith to 1st base where his lack of range won't hurt us and find a power RH bat for 2nd base?  It really wouldn't surprise me if they traded Riley. I prolly wouldn't like it, depending on the return, but it wouldn't surprise me.

How can anyone be disappointed with this season?

They exceeded expectations,  and the are pieces on the big club and the farm that bode well for long term.

I think we are short a starter, and infielder, ( 1st or 3rd), and a right handed outfielder short. It will be fun to watch what Harris and Co. come up with

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

They exceeded expectations,  and the are pieces on the big club and the farm that bode well for long term.

I think we are short a starter, and infielder, ( 1st or 3rd), and a right handed outfielder short. It will be fun to watch what Harris and Co. come up with

We can be happy with the season but disappointed with today's game. And yes, our needs are apparent;

Next season starting pitchers;

Skubal, Olson, Jobe, Montero, Maeda.

We need another quality SP. And we need a closer and a RH power bat. And no bargain bin players, we need quality.

27 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I'm pulling for the Gribe to take it all. From here on out, they'll get the exact same treatment from the sports media that the Tigers would've, and I want them to shove it in all of their faces.

I don't care about other teams and I won't follow the rest of the playoffs but I would be happy with that. Cleveland is a very similar team to the Tigers this year but with more established players. If they beat the big market teams, then the Tigers can do it next year.

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

How about moving Keith to 1st base where his lack of range won't hurt us and find a power RH bat for 2nd base?  It really wouldn't surprise me if they traded Riley. I prolly wouldn't like it, depending on the return, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Isn't there like 2 rh power bats at 2nd in whole league? And why would they trade their best position player?

When was the last time a team made the ALCS without a player with at least 25 home runs? And only one player with 20+? 3 players with 15+? Some of this great run was indeed magical. Out of 15 AL teams Det was 10th in BA, 9th in HR, 14th in OBP and somehow got to 9th in Runs. Much of this run was the bullpen and Skubal, which should remain a strength for a few years. 

Please sign Skubal. And bring in a couple bats. Without that it will be difficult to replicate '24 or improve. 

That said, I am very excited for this team. What a fun 2 months!! Meadows could be emerging as a star. If Carp and Greene stay healthy for a full year those team stats will improve. I think Tork will be on a shorter leash. You can't have negative production from 1B. I actually have an odd hunch he will have a nice year next year.

Enjoying a stogie right now. Thankful for the system that Harris seems to be building. Positive years are upon us

6 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

When was the last time a team made the ALCS without a player with at least 25 home runs? And only one player with 20+? 3 players with 15+? Some of this great run was indeed magical. Out of 15 AL teams Det was 10th in BA, 9th in HR, 14th in OBP and somehow got to 9th in Runs. Much of this run was the bullpen and Skubal, which should remain a strength for a few years. 

Please sign Skubal. And bring in a couple bats. Without that it will be difficult to replicate '24 or improve. 

That said, I am very excited for this team. What a fun 2 months!! Meadows could be emerging as a star. If Carp and Greene stay healthy for a full year those team stats will improve. I think Tork will be on a shorter leash. You can't have negative production from 1B. I actually have an odd hunch he will have a nice year next year.

Enjoying a stogie right now. Thankful for the system that Harris seems to be building. Positive years are upon us

Gonna go on a limb and say 2020, haha.

Congrats fellas on your daily diligence and mostly unwavering support.  It’s pretty cool to come here and learn things and make this a shared experience.  Couldn’t be happier for all of us to be rewarded with the last two months.

Here’s to the offseason and 2025!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Isn't there like 2 rh power bats at 2nd in whole league? And why would they trade their best position player?

Maybe to improve the team? And Riley actually just had a mostly injury free season. Trading him now would be selling high. I don't thing Harris will, and I don't like the idea of it, but I just wouldn't be surprised. We have way too many LH bats. Not only that, but we have some young guys who are highly thought of who have to find a spot on the team. (Hello, Max Clark, another LH bat)

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

I’ll bet they target a RH hitting power hitter although not necessarily at 1B. Sandanter is intriguing. SH who’s strong from both sides of the plate. 40 HRs this year.  Maybe sell him on learning 1B if Tork doesn’t breakout. 

Might as well sign Burnes too. 🤣          I can't even imagine the money these guys will be asking. I just don't see the Tigers spending money for either player....

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

It's like with the Lions being up 17 points at halftime in the NFC Championship game and what seemed like in impossible dream is one half away.

It's not that the Tigers season as a whole is a disappointment. Not at all.  But up 2-1, game 4 at home to close it out, getting the go ahead run and 7 outs a way?  Yeah, it stings.  So many teams, in every sport look like they have bright futures and never get close again.  

59 minutes ago, Kacie said:

It's like with the Lions being up 17 points at halftime in the NFC Championship game and what seemed like in impossible dream is one half away.

It's not that the Tigers season as a whole is a disappointment. Not at all.  But up 2-1, game 4 at home to close it out, getting the go ahead run and 7 outs a way?  Yeah, it stings.  So many teams, in every sport look like they have bright futures and never get close again.  

This is not a popuar opinion in sports circles, but if they won it all this year and then never came close again, I'd be very dissapointed in this organization.   

Gonna leave this here. I was tracking this over the course of the series, and didn't know until tonight that the Guardians actually hired the guy who found this effect. In game 4, I flagged Holton vs. Ramirez and Brieske vs. Fry. If guys like Holton, Brieske, and Vest started leaking oil toward the end of the series, it may be this effect.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2023/10/27/23935127/world-series-preview-texas-rangers-arizona-diamondbacks-bullpens-repeat-reliever-effect

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

This is not a popuar opinion in sports circles, but if they won it all this year and then never came close again, I'd be very dissapointed in this organization.   

yes - a good org should be able to sustain for a while, but the exception would be around pitching injuries. Even a good FO isn't going to be able to overcome that kind of multiple pitcher losses that are not uncommon for teams to face.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yes - a good org should be able to sustain for a while, but the exception would be around pitching injuries. Even a good FO isn't going to be able to overcome that kind of multiple pitcher losses that are not uncommon for teams to face.

Except the Dodgers

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Gonna leave this here. I was tracking this over the course of the series, and didn't know until tonight that the Guardians actually hired the guy who found this effect. In game 4, I flagged Holton vs. Ramirez and Brieske vs. Fry. If guys like Holton, Brieske, and Vest started leaking oil toward the end of the series, it may be this effect.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2023/10/27/23935127/world-series-preview-texas-rangers-arizona-diamondbacks-bullpens-repeat-reliever-effect

Dickerson was talking about this on the radio. 

• Like 1