American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

10 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Dickerson was talking about this on the radio. 

so maybe Hinch should have sat Brieske and Holton and used Mize and Foley because the G's hadn't seen them recently? As good a theory as any. 

I certainly believe it. If you look at Brieske or Holton, neither has the kind of top shelf stuff that would make you think on first sight that they could sustain the success they have been having unless they continued to get better themselves, exactly because once hitters see more of them, they are going to have to show better stuff to keep getting them out. OTOH, at the top tier, you do have the guys whose stuff is so good that the familiarity effect is going to be much smaller - Clase being the prime example, or maybe Aroldis Chapman in his heyday as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe to improve the team? And Riley actually just had a mostly injury free season. Trading him now would be selling high. I don't thing Harris will, and I don't like the idea of it, but I just wouldn't be surprised. We have way too many LH bats. Not only that, but we have some young guys who are highly thought of who have to find a spot on the team. (Hello, Max Clark, another LH bat)

Clark is at least one and half years away, wouldn't worry about making room for him. And you don't get better by trading your best player.

Selling high on Riley, would hope to net you another Riley. We already have him and he's cost controlled. Goal now is to win not take a step back. 

Mize didn't have any important innings in the ALDS did he?  He is still recovering from surgery.  Got to give that process time. 

Wondering what rocket ship they use to send Matt Manning into the sun.  What is the story there?

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Clark is at least one and half years away, wouldn't worry about making room for him. And you don't get better by trading your best player.

Selling high on Riley, would hope to net you another Riley. We already have him and he's cost controlled. Goal now is to win not take a step back. 

You have to trade quality to get quality. If I could get a quality SP and a quality RH 1st base or 3rd base bat, I may do it. Would Harris? I don't think so, he hasn't made any big deals. But like I said, I wouldn't be surprised, not that I would like it.

One team wins. One team loses.  That’s the way it has to be. The Tigers beat a division winner twice on the road.  They beat their own division winner twice.  If you team loses so you want them to get blown out or lose a close game?   The Tigers lost twice this postseason in close games. That’s a positive. They also won 4 games when the score was close.  That’s playoff baseball. It’s what we asked for in mid September. 

46 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Mize didn't have any important innings in the ALDS did he?  He is still recovering from surgery.  Got to give that process time. 

Wondering what rocket ship they use to send Matt Manning into the sun.  What is the story there?

Manning finished with a couple of decent starts at Toledo. I'm guessing at this point they have reservations about temperament with both Mize and Manning - I sure do.

I once did a ranking of the top 20 most memorable Tigers seasons.  I wasn't around for all of them, but I tried to imagine what it would have been like to be there.  I think this season falls in the top 10.  I can't find the list I made, but the top four were obvious:

1968  1984   1935  1945

More recently, 2006 has to be in there.  2011-2013 were great seasons, but there wasn't really one season in that span that stood out as memorable. There weren't any big surpises or drama.  It was just stars doing what stars do.   

I think this season is up there with 06 and 87.  It's kind of a mix between the surprise of 2006 and the end of season drama of 1987.

• Like 2

This season was more than I possibly could have asked for.  Fantastic entertaining baseball into October.  Back in April, who would have ever thought?

The question is, can we catch lightning in a bottle and do it again next year?  Or was this year a fluke?

I don’t know what’s going to happen with the rest of the postseason teams this year, but I can tell you that it’s now my fondest hope that when Cleveland comes into Comerica for the first time next season the stands will be ringing with “1948” chants.

I’m rooting for the drought is what I mean, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think this season is up there with 06 and 87.  It's kind of a mix between the surprise of 2006 and the end of season drama of 1987.

This is the thing.  The suspense at the end and the multiple celebrations with the feeling that we will have a group of guys around we will be pulling for a while.   The 2009 return from the bad 2008 season sort of felt that way but game 163 was such a heartbreaker.   Brandon Inge was that year's "face guy" for the downriver girls.  

Also, Ohio State losing a football game is a decent consolation prize for heart-breaking losses. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so maybe Hinch should have sat Brieske and Holton and used Mize and Foley because the G's hadn't seen them recently? As good a theory as any. 

I certainly believe it. If you look at Brieske or Holton, neither has the kind of top shelf stuff that would make you think on first sight that they could sustain the success they have been having unless they continued to get better themselves, exactly because once hitters see more of them, they are going to have to show better stuff to keep getting them out. OTOH, at the top tier, you do have the guys whose stuff is so good that the familiarity effect is going to be much smaller - Clase being the prime example, or maybe Aroldis Chapman in his heyday as well.

It might be more than that. Stuff. What's stuff? Stuff can be very important, depending on how you define it. Not only familiarity to a particular pitcher (in a short period of time no less) but how does pitch counts in time periods change the pitchers stuff? It does. Easy example, a guy going a day early that is used to 4 days rest. He won't have the snappy stuff he might on day 5, even though they have daily routines. How guys handle that differs. Maybe the difference between a pitcher and a thrower. The coaches know this.

Speaking of throwers. After not watching the game for quite a few years, it sure seems like it changed. Observation. The strike zone looks like it moved higher. Not up on the new rules so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It seems to me they call more high strikes than they used to.

A small sample size since I only watched the last 7 Tiger games, but it seems like you want guys who can go out there with upper 90 stuff and get the batter to chase the high hard one. Here it is, hit it. Looks great, hard to catch up to. A grapefruit turns into a BB. Sure isn't like watching Kenny Rogers (I loved him).

Just one thing on the 5 run debacle. What a position to be in having to pitch to Ramirez (spit). To defend Skubal, in that situation, you have to do what you have to do. I "think" he wanted to remind the gentlemen at the plate he is in charge of the strike zone, so busting him inside is the way to do so. Don't get comfy dude. He just missed by that much. He sure didn't want to hit him, and you don't pitch being afraid of hitting someone. It was a ballsy and right thing to do. It didn't work, unfortunately.

Then, like game 4, toss one in the wheelhouse. You can't do that. By that I mean, too many pitches down the center of the plate. in the games they lost.

That said, what an incredible year. So great for the team, the city, and the fans. What a story. I will have to pay attention next year. This team rescued me from the baseball ledge.

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I once did a ranking of the top 20 most memorable Tigers seasons.  I wasn't around for all of them, but I tried to imagine what it would have been like to be there.  I think this season falls in the top 10.  I can't find the list I made, but the top four were obvious:

1968  1984   1935  1945

More recently, 2006 has to be in there.  2011-2013 were great seasons, but there wasn't really one season in that span that stood out as memorable. There weren't any big surpises or drama.  It was just stars doing what stars do.   

Yup.  2006 is what I think of when watching this playoff run.  Just the context that 2006 happened in.   

In 2003 we were the laughing stock of sports.  In 2004, we signed Pudge. Guys like Dmitri Young, Carlos Guillen, and Pudge made 2004 fun to watch but clearly we didn't have the pieces to make a winning team.  In 2005, we got Ordonez and had a promising start to the season, but there was a lot of clubhouse drama and in general, was a less fun year than 2004, and a step backwards.

In 2006, Kenny Rogers was our big free agent signing and nobody had any expectations.  But Chris Shelton came out of the gate like the second coming of Babe Ruth, Bonderman, Maroth and Robertson were pitching WAY over their heads.   Rogers was a fantastic mentor.   Verlander starting to come into his own.   Nobody expected anything, and suddenly we were tearing the league up.   Coming out of nowhere and beating the Yankees in the ALDS was something I don't think any Tigers fan will ever forget, especially when the team came out and partied with the fans.  Seemed like such a down to earth team, relatable to the fans and nobody in their wildest dreams expected it.  Anyway that's precisely what the 2024 tigers reminded me of. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Chasfh likely walked into the theatre during a scoreless tie, and at some point soon will be walking out into the glare of daylight where the 7-3 reality will hit him in the face. 

Close: just as I got off the train at Clark and Lake, Skubal plunked Ramirez. Before I got out of the building, Skubal had grooved one to Lane Thomas. It was already 5-1 by the time I got to the Goodman, and it actually relaxed me a little since I figured it was a long shot to get back out of the hole. But I was able to sneak a peak at the phone between set changes.

15 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Maybe by not winning this series, ownership will be encouraged to do more than just rest on its laurels and will see the need for adding new faces, bats, arms, whatever it takes. Other teams in this division, especially the Royals and the Twins, are certainly not going to rest on their laurels in the off-season and it’s a solid business decision to do something instead of just hope for the best next year. 

The Twins are in disarray, with talks of a sale, so I wouldn’t expect a full court press by them to win the Central or else next year.

I think we will see more of the same in the offseason: continue to improve with tactical free agent signings, minor league free agents and waiver wire pickups, and trades.

One big thing I think has a good chance of happening is Tork getting traded.

Let’s not forget that this game was NOT over after the GS. I assumed it would be when it happened.  But the Tigers continued to threaten.  That changeup to Tork up in the zone with runners on… Jesus.  I really thought he was going to do something there. He looked confident.  But that pitch.    Several times during the rest of the game I thought they’d come back to tie it.   That’s why this team and year was special.  They didn’t give up.  The score didn’t tell the story.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Let’s not forget that this game was NOT over after the GS. I assumed it would be when it happened.  But the Tigers continued to threaten.  That changeup to Tork up in the zone with runners on… Jesus.  I really thought he was going to do something there. He looked confident.  But that pitch.    Several times during the rest of the game I thought they’d come back to tie it.   That’s why this team and year was special.  They didn’t give up.  The score didn’t tell the story.  

After the GS I thought that the team would relax a bit as a result of being assumed out of it at that point. Most all of these guys were under more pressure than they had probably ever experienced in professional baseball. They did continue to battle but the pitching finally gave out of gas. 
I’m looking forward to see what the direction of the front office will be.

That was one hell of a run. 

As soon as Skubal gave up the grand slam, it was over. The run was based on him dominating in every start, and on Hinch and Fetter pushing the right buttons with everyone else. There were only so many buttons to push with that roster, though.

Basically every hitter other than Carpenter and Meadows disappointed. People are down on Torkelson, and rightly so, but he outhit Greene in the post-season. Had they gotten anything out of either of them they might have squeaked through.

But it was all on the left arm of Skubal. He was a little less than perfect in the 5th (after Greene GIDP in the 4th, and botched a line drive in the 3rd) and that was it. Disappointing end to a historic run. 

43 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yup.  I thought Skubal's next inning, 3 outs in 5 pitches, was a turning point.  The Tigers in the next half inning had Gaddis on the ropes.  He wiggles out of it, barely has time to sit and catch his breath, and then he's back on the mound.  I thought was where the Cleveland bullpen usage was going to crack.

Oh, man, what a final 2-3 months.  I'm just not ready for it to end.  But it has.  They probably haven't gone 2-3 in a 5 game stretch since, what, without looking it up, around Labor Day and maybe including the 1-2 San Diego series?

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

Matt Manning?  Names sounds familiar, but I can't place it.  Is that a guy from that Monday Night Football show?

16 hours ago, holygoat said:

I'm pulling for the Gribe to take it all. From here on out, they'll get the exact same treatment from the sports media that the Tigers would've, and I want them to shove it in all of their faces.

As much as I disdain the Yankees and don't want to listen to the national slobbering over a Dodgers vs Yankees series, and as much as I know that baseball is not quite as mano a mano as this scenario would be force fed upon us, seeing Ohtani and Judge in the World Series does pique my interest.  Aside from that, I'm not really sure I care for who makes it.

How many days until pitchers and catchers report?