American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

My buddy and I are going to a play tomorrow at 200pm, something we booked in August. I was thrilled when the game was announced for 708pm Central. Now, this, because of course this. 😩

So I will miss the end of the game. Here’s hoping we’re blowing them off the field by the time 200pm rolls around.

Going to a play instead of a series deciding playoff game?  If you were single and there was a hot chick involved, I could maybe OK it.  But this is messed up.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I’d lead Ibanez off to try to draw some instant pressure.  Plus, once Boyd is out (which might be quick), Ibanez’ mastery of LHP is kind of useless after that.  The Guardians have Herrin in the pen, but I think he’s been shaky enough to not worry about so much.

Follow Ibanez up with Malloy who seems to enjoy playoff offense.  I’d be comfortable with him staying in the game vs RHPs.

Greene?  Sure.  Or Vierling.  But I think Greene because I expect Malloy/Greene/Vierling to play the entire game.  Go LRLR at the top 4 once Boyd leaves and Ibanez is replaced.

Perez at 5? Is he playing the whole game?

Rogers or Torkleson at 6 with the other 8th?  It seems foolish to think Madris might flex in as a PH for one of these two spots given his time off, but it just might happen.  Maybe McKinstry replaces Torkelson (McKinstry to 3B, Vierling to 1B) sometime after a RHP shows up?

Carpenter 7th and Sweeney 9th?  I’d imagine these guys play the whole game, too.

You gonna dress Carp up like Dingler? I mean nobody has seen him, might work.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Going to a play instead of a series deciding playoff game?  If you were single and there was a hot chick involved, I could maybe OK it.  But this is messed up.  

Even then….if she doesn’t understand the gravity of you needing to watch the Tigers…then cut your losses cause she ain’t the one.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

He already has a lot on his plate because the Tigers retained his services to procure the champagne and cigars for series-clinching celebrations. 

Does he have to get the skiiing goggles, too?

One thing I don't hear mentioned is how many Americans the Tigers have. On Thursday, all 9 hitters in the starting lineup, plus all 6 pitchers used, were U.S.-born. 2 of the 3 pinch hitters - Ibanez and Perez - are not from the States, and Montero has pitched a couple of times this series, but that's it. A win for the Tigers today would be a win for America.

Edited by lordstanley

My prediction. A solid game from Skubal with one mistake.  A 2-0 game, Cleveland adds another against our bullpen, the Tigers rally in the 9th but come up short 3-1 with tying runs on base.  

I am at peace with what might end up being the most enjoyable season I’ve experienced.  1984 was better and I was around for it but let’s be honest… we follow the games differently today.  I was 10. I went to maybe 4 games that year, not every game was on TV, and I was outside playing a lot.  It wasn’t a day to day thing like now. 
Even when this team was at its low points the games were still competitive.  I said that repeatedly this year. What it tells me is what the org is doing is working.  It’s the players as much as the system. They finally figured out how to identify and grow just league average players which is what good teams need.   This organization has turned the corner. It’s not a Lions situation where there’s a core that is going to grow.  The Tigers will remain competitive by plugging in guys year to year that can compete for the playoffs and enter the crapshoot and hopefully fall into a title at some point. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

The Tigers will remain competitive by plugging in guys year to year that can compete for the playoffs and enter the crapshoot and hopefully fall into a title at some point. 

This is probably true.  I just hope they are able to retain their top players through their prims.  I don't want another Tampa Rays situations where they have to trade anybody who is too good.  It has worked OK for them, but the lack of continuity would not be so fun.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

This is probably true.  I just hope they are able to retain their top players through their prims.  I don't want another Tampa Rays situations where they have to trade anybody who is too good.  It has worked OK for them, but the lack of continuity would not be so fun.  

I think they will for certain players but it won’t be automatic. For comparison sake someone like VMart wouldn’t be extended.  I think if looking at Chris Ilitch for guidance the Red Wings signed Seider and Raymond long term and that team is on a hard cap.  They will try harder with Skubal than they did with Scherzer.   The Keith signing too can be an indication.  A cheap org could have just been “whatever” but they took on a but of a risk with that. 

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

My prediction. A solid game from Skubal with one mistake.  A 2-0 game, Cleveland adds another against our bullpen, the Tigers rally in the 9th but come up short 3-1 with tying runs on base.  

I am at peace with what might end up being the most enjoyable season I’ve experienced.  1984 was better and I was around for it but let’s be honest… we follow the games differently today.  I was 10. I went to maybe 4 games that year, not every game was on TV, and I was outside playing a lot.  It wasn’t a day to day thing like now. 
Even when this team was at its low points the games were still competitive.  I said that repeatedly this year. What it tells me is what the org is doing is working.  It’s the players as much as the system. They finally figured out how to identify and grow just league average players which is what good teams need.   This organization has turned the corner. It’s not a Lions situation where there’s a core that is going to grow.  The Tigers will remain competitive by plugging in guys year to year that can compete for the playoffs and enter the crapshoot and hopefully fall into a title at some point. 

I agree that we should be happy, very happy, with how this season turned out. But in 1984, I was 24 years old. And most games were on TV, I had PASS, an early form of Fox Sports Detroit, or Bally's Sports. And we also had Ernie...1984 was my favorite Tigers season of all time.

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree that we should be happy, very happy, with how this season turned out. But in 1984, I was 24 years old. And most games were on TV, I had PASS, an early form of Fox Sports Detroit, or Bally's Sports. And we also had Ernie...1984 was my favorite Tigers season of all time.

I have a box of cassette tapes containing audio bits from just about every game from the ‘84 season. I recorded them at the time - play by play calls of Ernie, Paul Carey’s 1-minute game recap he would record for WJR, conversations between JP McCarthy and Sparky Anderson, and morning game recaps by Eli Zaret to the WRIF morning crew. I really need to digitize this because I guarantee for 90% of this material I know none of us have heard it in 40 years. Maybe this offseason. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, oblong said:

This feels about right.  It’s way too much to expect from Skubal to carry this team.  I’m not anticipating a Tigers win, but would love to be wrong.  Regardless of the outcome, it was a magical two months and probably changes how the front office might be thinking about accelerating this team’s window in the offseason.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I know this is a pet peeve that annoys an audience of one, BUT....

They weren't foul tips. A "foul tip" is defined in the rule book as "a batted ball that goes sharply and directly to the catcher's hand or glove and is legally caught."

Every time an announcer says "that foul tip got him", where him is the catcher or umpire, they are referring to a foul ball. Because foul tips don't hurt.

/soap box

• Haha 1