American League Division Series Game #5 (2-2) 1:08PM 10/12/24

Tigeraholic1

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This feels about right.  It’s way too much to expect from Skubal to carry this team.  I’m not anticipating a Tigers win, but would love to be wrong.  Regardless of the outcome, it was a magical two months and probably changes how the front office might be thinking about accelerating this team’s window in the offseason.

I didn't want to be negative in my predictions but I agree that it's asking too much for Skubal to throw more scoreless innings. And Cleveland has seen our best BP arms. I'm at peace with the season ending....but I'll still be rooting them on.

34 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I have a box of cassette tapes containing audio bits from just about every game from the ‘84 season. I recorded them at the time - play by play calls of Ernie, Paul Carey’s 1-minute game recap he would record for WJR, conversations between JP McCarthy and Sparky Anderson, and morning game recaps by Eli Zaret to the WRIF morning crew. I really need to digitize this because I guarantee for 90% of this material I know none of us have heard it in 40 years. Maybe this offseason. 

Yeah, the tapes degrade. I was bummed out when I went to convert my Morris no-hitter. The tape had the first 3 innings unwatchable. The rest of it was better but the quality on the YouTube version is better.

Edited by Sports_Freak

I saw on ESPN that Hinch says that he's hopeful that Carpenter will atleast be available off the bench today. I'm doubtful of that but I like the fact that he atleast puts that thought in Vogt's head instead of just outright ruling him out for the game. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My prediction. A solid game from Skubal with one mistake.  A 2-0 game, Cleveland adds another against our bullpen, the Tigers rally in the 9th but come up short 3-1 with tying runs on base.  

I am at peace with what might end up being the most enjoyable season I’ve experienced.  1984 was better and I was around for it but let’s be honest… we follow the games differently today.  I was 10. I went to maybe 4 games that year, not every game was on TV, and I was outside playing a lot.  It wasn’t a day to day thing like now. 
Even when this team was at its low points the games were still competitive.  I said that repeatedly this year. What it tells me is what the org is doing is working.  It’s the players as much as the system. They finally figured out how to identify and grow just league average players which is what good teams need.   This organization has turned the corner. It’s not a Lions situation where there’s a core that is going to grow.  The Tigers will remain competitive by plugging in guys year to year that can compete for the playoffs and enter the crapshoot and hopefully fall into a title at some point. 

I think this is right. They've been punching above their weight class for a while, and it feels like their opportunity to win this series was on Thursday when they were up a run, seven outs away, with no one on. The offense is just missing one or two bats that can consistently turn the lineup over and manufacture one or two more runs in a game.

To add something of a pessimistic take though, while the run has been fun (and I'm kicking myself for not paying more attention sooner), I do worry this is just going to ultimately justify the cheapskate tendencies of Chris Illitch that drove me away from being a consistent follower in the first place.

Yes, they've had a magical two months with the 5th lowest payroll in baseball, thanks to a stellar manager who is playing chess to his opponents' checkers and a group of young guys and misfit toys getting hot at the right time...... But looking around the league, the Mets, Yankees, and Dodgers have the 1st, 2nd, and 5th highest payrolls in baseball. And while I don't think it's realistic to (ever?) expect Chris to spend how Mike did, I do think the Tigers will struggle to have sustained success so long as they are relying on assembling teams and winning games how they did this 2024 squad. Of course, when you do spend money it also has to be on guys that perform better than Javy Baez, but that's a given.

I hope they show me wrong and make this sustainable though. Or Chris shows me wrong and opens the checkbook in the right situations.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw on ESPN that Hinch says that he's hopeful that Carpenter will atleast be available off the bench today. I'm doubtful of that but I like the fact that he atleast puts that thought in Vogt's head instead of just outright ruling him out for the game. 

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday. Leave 'em guessing 

I won't be disappointed in this team no matter what happens today.    I'll be sad, of course, but how could any of us be disappointed in this? 

The winner of today's game is the team I will be pulling for to take it all.     

But I know the winner of today's game will not get any favors or calls from the umps in the next series.   MLB wants LA vs. NY, they want Ohtani vs. Judge.      They'll begrudgingly accept NY vs NY, but I don't think there is any way they're letting Cleveland or Detroit into the party. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I won't be disappointed in this team no matter what happens today.    I'll be sad, of course, but how could any of us be disappointed in this? 

The winner of today's game is the team I will be pulling for to take it all.     

But I know the winner of today's game will not get any favors or calls from the umps in the next series.   MLB wants LA vs. NY, they want Ohtani vs. Judge.      They'll begrudgingly accept NY vs NY, but I don't think there is any way they're letting Cleveland or Detroit into the party. 

Well we are winning today and playing the Dodgers in the series and one old bald blind short overweight good looking guy will be there to watch them live. GO TIGERS 🐅 

Just now, IdahoBert said:

I’m predicting Skubal with a 93-pitch perfect game which is 0–0 until the top of the ninth when the Tigers score 6 runs and after he gets the last out roses fall from the sky and cover the field 1 foot deep. 

Every rose has its thorn which would cut all the players but that would be GRITTY!

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Who are the Yankees rooting for?

Thursday it was probably a push. Today, Detroit. With Skubal pitching today, he would be in line for Games 3 and 7 in the ALCS; if the Tigers had won Thursday, there's a world in which he could have pitched in Games 1, 4, and 7.

• Like 1