Week Seven: Detroit Lions (4-1) @ Minnesota Vikings (5-0)

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Watching NFL Network and I get a kick out of them critiquing Campbell for taking the kneel downs and trusting his kicker instead of trying to gain more yards. Not that I necessarily disagree with that assessment in a vacuum just that it's funny how when he goes for it instead of kicking a FG people just automatically assume the kick was going to be good and he should've "taken the points" or "trusted his kicker" but when he shows complete faith in him instead of risking a turnover or sack they question that too. 

There is some argument that running two plays up the middle would have used up a few more seconds than the two kneeldowns, especially the second one which was immediate. But whether to gain a few more yards or to burn a few more seconds, the risk of running plays are a) punch out; and b) holding penalty that would push the ball back 10 yards and stop the clock. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Watching NFL Network and I get a kick out of them critiquing Campbell for taking the kneel downs and trusting his kicker instead of trying to gain more yards. Not that I necessarily disagree with that assessment in a vacuum just that it's funny how when he goes for it instead of kicking a FG people just automatically assume the kick was going to be good and he should've "taken the points" or "trusted his kicker" but when he shows complete faith in him instead of risking a turnover or sack they question that too. 

I critiqued him at the time too not necessarily because they put the trust in Bates but also because they left the Vikings some time. If they ran it twice, that's probably 5-6 seconds minimum that you bleed off the clock and there's always the chance of breaking one. I didn't like that clock management at all tbh.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I critiqued him at the time too not necessarily because they put the trust in Bates but also because they left the Vikings some time. If they ran it twice, that's probably 5-6 seconds minimum that you bleed off the clock and there's always the chance of breaking one. I didn't like that clock management at all tbh.

Goff did take a few seconds on the first kneel down so that did function like a run play. 

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The extra time wasn't important to me since Minnesota had no timeouts, not worth the risk of a penalty or God forbid fumble but I didn't like it cause I don't like putting my faith in a kicker(unless its a Jason Hanson type proven commodity), I'd much prefer for teams to go for the TD instead of assuming the kick is going to be made. I just get a kick out of the fact that people pick and choose when the FG is "automatic points" and when its not. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff did take a few seconds on the first kneel down so that did function like a run play. 

A few but run plays are almost always more than a few seconds especially with how hard the Lions RBs are to bring down. The second kneel was instant, I didn't understand why they didn't have Goff burn a few seconds there too. You have Justin Jefferson and a kicker with a huge leg over there, 15 seconds was too much to leave to chance IMO.

Just now, NYLion said:

A few but run plays are almost always more than a few seconds especially with how hard the Lions RBs are to bring down. The second kneel was instant, I didn't understand why they didn't have Goff burn a few seconds there too. You have Justin Jefferson and a kicker with a huge leg over there, 15 seconds was too much to leave to chance IMO.

And then the kickoff through the end zone. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like to read what the few Rams fans left say when Goff has a good game. It usually goes something like this:

Rams fan: Stafford is still better. Goff is only good because of the OL and receivers.

Also Rams fan: Stafford isn't good right now because the OL sucks and the receivers are injured. 

But Stafford still has that ace up his sleeve....a Super Bowl Championship.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The extra time wasn't important to me since Minnesota had no timeouts, not worth the risk of a penalty or God forbid fumble but I didn't like it cause I don't like putting my faith in a kicker(unless its a Jason Hanson type proven commodity), I'd much prefer for teams to go for the TD instead of assuming the kick is going to be made. I just get a kick out of the fact that people pick and choose when the FG is "automatic points" and when its not. 

I think a 45 yard or under FG is pretty much automatic for any NFL kicker. It's probably more risky to go for a TD and risk an incomplete pass leaving too much time on the clock. Three runs, not one run and two kneel downs, would have been the right call IMO.

Edited by NYLion