Week Seven: Detroit Lions (4-1) @ Minnesota Vikings (5-0)

to me, they look like the STL Rams with Kurt Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf

if the offense is healthy, it is going to put points (multiple TDs) on the board vs any team

and if a team falls behind, they become one dimensional trying to keep up

would they lose a playoff game at Ford Field?

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I try to always start the game about 1 hr late, then I fast forward through commercials and half time... I usually finish the game right about the time it finishes in real time.

This is the most unhinged thing I’ve ever heard.  Game happening in real time and you’re just kicking rocks waiting to fast forward?  I thought I was nuts!

7 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

This is the most unhinged thing I’ve ever heard.  Game happening in real time and you’re just kicking rocks waiting to fast forward?  I thought I was nuts!

Unhinged? No my friend... DVR is the best thing to happen to football since the forward pass. I get an hour of my day back and I don't have to watch ads? Sign me up.

Also after the other team gets a lucky play in and goes for a TD...? You know that part where the announcers gush over how wonderful the play was and how they schooled the Lions and replay it 3 or 4 times? Yeah, I get to fast forward over that too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Unhinged? No my friend... DVR is the best thing to happen to football since the forward pass. I get an hour of my day back and I don't have to watch ads? Sign me up.

Absolutely. For football, pick up your in-progress recording at about half-time and finish the game just about at the real time point. For baseball somewhere around the 3rd inning.  The programmers will eventually fight back with more live game insertion ads, but by then maybe we'll have AI video processing to chop them back out.

You might be surprised to learn this, but my game day experience is highly dependent on watching everything in real time.

The best part of football games are the game threads and the texting with my buddies (we have a group chat of 8 of us). Michigan and Lions games is like 70% of our yearly traffic.

Without this message board or my buddies and messaging in real time I’m not sure how I could even watch the game.  It’s the interaction with others that is enjoyable during the games.  The games themselves are miserable experiences filled with anxiety and high blood pressure.  The chatting is awesome and then a win means you get to consume hours of postgame content about your team winning. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Absolutely. For football, pick up your in-progress recording at about half-time and finish the game just about at the real time point. For baseball somewhere around the 3rd inning.  The programmers will eventually fight back with more live game insertion ads, but by then maybe we'll have AI video processing to chop them back out.

I honestly don't mind the in-game insertion ads when they are done right. Like during a TO in football or an injury or there's a meeting on the mound in baseball or new batter is coming up... these are "dead" times anyway where there's no action on the field so throw an ad up... pay the bills, just as long as you get back to the game as soon as the action starts.

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Without this message board or my buddies and messaging in real time I’m not sure how I could even watch the game.  It’s the interaction with others that is enjoyable during the games.  The games themselves are miserable experiences filled with anxiety and high blood pressure.  The chatting is awesome and then a win means you get to consume hours of postgame content about your team winning. 

I 100% get that. If I had that with a bunch of other people I'd be far more interested in watching it live, so I totally understand.

Watching the highlights on Youtube... and I'm reminded of just how much I HATE that Viking horn whenever the Vikings have a good play. And I think the reason I hate it so much is that I think I'd love it that much if I was a Vikings fan. It's a cool sound effect that fits with their team so yeah... I'd love it if I was a Vikings fan... hate it as a Lions fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

The ref has to set the ball though, right? Would the ref set the ball before the teams were both reasonably at the line?

Regardless I think it should be changed in the off-season because you know teams will try to exploit this.

The rules always seem to screw the Lions. I'll never forget the play where the Lions got a game winning TD pass with 7 seconds left that was reviewed by the refs and was ruled down at the one yard line. Since we had no timeouts left, there was a 10 second runoff that ended the game. Oh well, we probably got a higher draft pick...🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The rules always seem to screw the Lions. I'll never forget the play where the Lions got a game winning TD pass with 7 seconds left that was reviewed by the refs and was ruled down at the one yard line. Since we had no timeouts left, there was a 10 second runoff that ended the game. Oh well, we probably got a higher draft pick...🤣🤣

Yep and missed the playoffs cause of that loss. Fired Caldwell and Hired Tubby McGoo

It's amazing the weird calls that have gone against the Lions. Aside from yesterday and the aforementioned game where they had that 10 second runoff, there was the Seattle game where they intentionally batted the ball for a safety which is against the rules but nobody on the field apparently was aware of that. 

The Thanksgiving game against the Texans where the runner was down and the Lions threw the flag but since it was a scoring play and going to be reviewed anyway it negated the challenge and didn't get reviewed. Again never seen before.

The "facemask" on a game ending sack, which is never called gets called against them.

The flag pickup after it was announced a penalty, something I still don't think I have ever seen before or since. 

The not declaring the right guy eligible on a likely game winning conversion.

Then of course the Calvin Johnson catch and completing the process.

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

You might be surprised to learn this, but my game day experience is highly dependent on watching everything in real time.

The best part of football games are the game threads and the texting with my buddies (we have a group chat of 8 of us). Michigan and Lions games is like 70% of our yearly traffic.

Glad somone enjoys your interactions during the game.

54 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The flag pickup after it was announced a penalty, something I still don't think I have ever seen before or since. 

This just happened in Georgia-Texas this weekend, but was even worse because they picked up the flag after like a five minute delay because Texas fans were throwing bottles on the field.

Talk about positive reinforcement!

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Also after the other team gets a lucky play in and goes for a TD...? You know that part where the announcers gush over how wonderful the play was and how they schooled the Lions and replay it 3 or 4 times? Yeah, I get to fast forward over that too.

Hey Red...you are in good company if I say so myself. I too carry the unhinged label courtesy of TP. 👍

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This just happened in Georgia-Texas this weekend, but was even worse because they picked up the flag after like a five minute delay because Texas fans were throwing bottles on the field.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I heard there was some controversy with the Texas crowd but I didn't bother to see the details of it.  Just to add one to my previous list that actually benefited us how about the infamous coin toss game against the Steelers which changed how coin tosses were done? Just weird to me that for a team that relatively speaking hasn't played a ton of high profile games have had so many almost unheard of calls happen in big moments in mostly high profile games. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The "facemask" on a game ending sack, which is never called gets called against them.

Don't think I didn't think of that once I saw that Darnold was contained. Don't give them any excuse to call a facemask, don't give them any excuse to call a facemask.

11 hours ago, RedRamage said:

This has certainly seemed to be an issue with the defense. They get so aggressive going for the QB that sometimes huge running lanes open up for the QB.

Week 1: Stafford for 0 yards
Week 2: Mayfield for 34 yards
Week 3: Murray for 45 yards
Week 4: Smith 38 yards
Week 6: Prescott for 1 yard
Week 7: Darnold for 39 yards

Other than week 1 against Stafford (quite immobile) and week 6 against Prescott (Blow out) the opposing QBs have gotten some nice chucks with running the ball.

They mention this on every broadcast. They say playing so much man coverage means the defenders are not looking at the backfield but are tracking their guy. They say with zone most of the coverage is looking at the QB and can react sooner.

11 hours ago, RedRamage said:

The ref has to set the ball though, right? Would the ref set the ball before the teams were both reasonably at the line?

Regardless I think it should be changed in the off-season because you know teams will try to exploit this.

I don’t see any reason that they would wait. Usually it’s just the team running up. The Vicki g got the spike within about 7 seconds. And they waitress to line up.