Trading For a Defensive End/Edge Rusher

Mr.TaterSalad

Trading for a Defensive End/Edge Rusher  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Lions will trade for a DE/Edge Rusher on or before the trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If the Lions trade for a DE/Edge Rusher, who do you want?

• Maxx Crosby/Raiders
    • Trey Hendrickson/Bengals
    • Haason Reddick/Jets
    • Josh Allen/Jaguars
    • Za'Darius Smith/Browns
    • Emmanuel Ogbah/Dolphins
    • Deatrich Wise Jr./Patriots
    • Other

With Aiden Hutchinson potentially gone until the Super Bowl and missing the rest of the regular season, the Lions are in need of another pass rusher somewhere on this defense. Do you think the Lions will trade for someone on or before the trade deadline? If so, who do you want that player to be?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

The second part is a little hard to pick... I mean if you just said who do you want I'd say Crosby because I think he fits the Lions mentality the best. But the cost involved is obviously going to be a huge factor. If Crosby's gonna cost 3 firsts, well... I think I'd be more willing to go for someone with a cheaper price tag even if I like the guy a little less.

I think the Lions need to make a move, but I don't think it needs to be an elite guy. I think Harold Landry makes a lot of sense. The Titans have a whole new front office and are going nowhere fast and could be looking to deal. Landry has had double digit sacks the past two seasons he's been healthy and four in four games this year. He's under contract beyond this year and would be a solid number two behind Hutchinson when he returns. The Lions could also get out of the contract if they wanted to. The Lions defensive line coach was the defensive line coach of the Titans the past few seasons. There is a familiarity and connection there. The Lions don't have a ton of draft picks to trade. I don't want them to make a panic move. They're not going to replace Hutchinson, but Landry could give them a respectable pass rusher. 

We have the Vikings, Titans, and Packers before the trade deadline. Something tells me Brad and Dan will wait to see how the pass rush holds up against MIN and GB before making a trade. 

This could also be a chance for them to showcase Houston as a trade chip. He won’t be a blockbuster but he could be part of a package for a player to fill in for Hutch/ Davenport. 

45 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

We have the Vikings, Titans, and Packers before the trade deadline. Something tells me Brad and Dan will wait to see how the pass rush holds up against MIN and GB before making a trade. 

This could also be a chance for them to showcase Houston as a trade chip. He won’t be a blockbuster but he could be part of a package for a player to fill in for Hutch/ Davenport. 

If Houston performs well wouldn't they want to keep him in the rotation?

I’m normally the guy to poo poo big name trade talk, because it’s never been Holmes’ MO. I do think Hutchinson’s injury puts him into an unprecedented spot though for this regime.

I don’t think it’s crazy to offer two 1sts and then some to the Raiders for Crosby. He’s young, phenomenal, a perfect locker room fit, and is not a stop gap. You need an edge across from Hutch next year anyway, assuming Davenport is not re-signed.

Holmes is very anti-“window”, believing it’s a bad mentality to think you have only a couple years in which to win the Super Bowl. And I agree with him. So it won’t be a desperate move, but a calculated one. That said though, there is still support for making this move under that mentality.

If you assume every 1st round pick works out, which is fair for Holmes, you still can’t pay them all. If in the next two years they re-sign a majority of Hutch, Jamo, Paschal, Kerby, Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, and Branch…. How do you keep doing this with high picks? I’m okay shedding two for one known commodity under contract.

Lions trade 2025 1st, 2026 1st, 2025 5th, 2026 3rd, and James Houston

Raiders trade Maxx Crosby and 2026 5th

On the topic of not being able to re-sign everyone, is there any possibility that Alim McNeill is included in a blockbuster trade package?

It seems crazy to trade your arm for a (non-broken) leg, but if you trust guys like Levi, Reader, and Wingo up the middle, and if you’re not going to be able to re-sign Alim, you have to consider it.

Hendon Hooker is another. I’m not someone who is infatuated with the backup QB like some are, but it’s quite possible that the Raiders see a potential starter in Hooker. Likely Gardner Minshew would come the other way, and there are worse options as a backup QB.

Za'Darius Smith or Cam Jordan is my guess. I see Brad looking at buy low options, vets that can not only set the edge but also create some pass rush. It won't be a big name IMO.

No way is he trading multiple 1sts for Crosby and nor do I think Crosby is even on the trade market.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think the Lions need to make a move, but I don't think it needs to be an elite guy. I think Harold Landry makes a lot of sense. The Titans have a whole new front office and are going nowhere fast and could be looking to deal. Landry has had double digit sacks the past two seasons he's been healthy and four in four games this year. He's under contract beyond this year and would be a solid number two behind Hutchinson when he returns. The Lions could also get out of the contract if they wanted to. The Lions defensive line coach was the defensive line coach of the Titans the past few seasons. There is a familiarity and connection there. The Lions don't have a ton of draft picks to trade. I don't want them to make a panic move. They're not going to replace Hutchinson, but Landry could give them a respectable pass rusher. 

The problem with Landry is that he's a SAM, he doesn't really fit the conventional DE role that Hutch and Davenport for that matter played and the Lions love their DEs to be versatile against run and pass whereas Landry is more of a pure pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Houston performs well wouldn't they want to keep him in the rotation?

They have clearly indicated that he doesn’t fit their mold as edge setter/rusher. Having lost both of their starters at this position, they may need to adapt temporarily to the players they have available. This is not going to change their philosophy on defense, and it seems unlikely that Houston is going to transform himself over the next three weeks into Davenport, Hutch, or even Barnes. But Houston may fit better into other rosters or defensive philosophies. 

44 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Za'Darius Smith or Cam Jordan is my guess. I see Brad looking at buy low options, vets that can not only set the edge but also create some pass rush. It won't be a big name IMO.

No way is he trading multiple 1sts for Crosby and nor do I think Crosby is even on the trade market.

I think Cam Jordan is done. I have seen Carl Granderson's name mentioned. Nothing special, but he was with the Saints when Campbell and Glenn were there. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There is also, dare I say, Chase Young. 

I was all about it last season and would still have no problem bringing Young in as a cheap acquisition. I don't know if he fits their cultural mold that they've built around work ethic, so they may pass on him. But Young is a talented player, who may have underwhelmed based on where he was drafted and what the original expectations were.

comparable trades to crosby-ish defensive ends:

bears trade a high second for montez sweat

bears trade two firsts, a third and a sixth for for khalil mack, a second, and a fifth

raiders trade a future first for richard seymour

vikings trade a first, two thirds, and a swap of 6th round picks for jared allen

mack and allen trades seem the most similar.  i would argue the bears overpaid for mack (and sweat), but unfortunately they mucked up the market for everyone else.

crosby is in his prime but he's also REALLY expensive.  a first and a fourth, plus a future third (or two) with the raiders throwing in a future fifth or something should be enough.  if the lions want to go that route.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m normally the guy to poo poo big name trade talk, because it’s never been Holmes’ MO. I do think Hutchinson’s injury puts him into an unprecedented spot though for this regime.

I don’t think it’s crazy to offer two 1sts and then some to the Raiders for Crosby. He’s young, phenomenal, a perfect locker room fit, and is not a stop gap. You need an edge across from Hutch next year anyway, assuming Davenport is not re-signed.

Holmes is very anti-“window”, believing it’s a bad mentality to think you have only a couple years in which to win the Super Bowl. And I agree with him. So it won’t be a desperate move, but a calculated one. That said though, there is still support for making this move under that mentality.

If you assume every 1st round pick works out, which is fair for Holmes, you still can’t pay them all. If in the next two years they re-sign a majority of Hutch, Jamo, Paschal, Kerby, Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, and Branch…. How do you keep doing this with high picks? I’m okay shedding two for one known commodity under contract.

Lions trade 2025 1st, 2026 1st, 2025 5th, 2026 3rd, and James Houston

Raiders trade Maxx Crosby and 2026 5th

This makes the most sense. Trading draft picks isn't something Holmes has done, other than during the draft. But this team has talent all over the field that is under contract for a few years and is going to be here for the forseeable future. Holmes has already built a Super Bowl contender, now use draft stock to get us over the top. Personally, I don't see him doing it, it's just a pipe dream but I wouldn't be against it. I wanna win and I wanna win this season...

36 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This makes the most sense. Trading draft picks isn't something Holmes has done, other than during the draft. But this team has talent all over the field that is under contract for a few years and is going to be here for the forseeable future. Holmes has already built a Super Bowl contender, now use draft stock to get us over the top. Personally, I don't see him doing it, it's just a pipe dream but I wouldn't be against it. I wanna win and I wanna win this season...

I think it’s more likely the Raiders aren’t interested than the Lions. It’s hard to sell to a perpetually pissed off fanbase that you should trade the heart and soul of your team.

Though if they like Hooker maybe their attitude changes?

Less than 10% chance it happens but I’m all for it.