Trading For a Defensive End/Edge Rusher

Mr.TaterSalad

Trading for a Defensive End/Edge Rusher  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Lions will trade for a DE/Edge Rusher on or before the trade deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If the Lions trade for a DE/Edge Rusher, who do you want?

• Maxx Crosby/Raiders
    • Trey Hendrickson/Bengals
    • Haason Reddick/Jets
    • Josh Allen/Jaguars
    • Za'Darius Smith/Browns
    • Emmanuel Ogbah/Dolphins
    • Deatrich Wise Jr./Patriots
    • Other

17 hours ago, buddha said:

comparable trades to crosby-ish defensive ends:

bears trade a high second for montez sweat

bears trade two firsts, a third and a sixth for for khalil mack, a second, and a fifth

raiders trade a future first for richard seymour

vikings trade a first, two thirds, and a swap of 6th round picks for jared allen

mack and allen trades seem the most similar.  i would argue the bears overpaid for mack (and sweat), but unfortunately they mucked up the market for everyone else.

crosby is in his prime but he's also REALLY expensive.  a first and a fourth, plus a future third (or two) with the raiders throwing in a future fifth or something should be enough.  if the lions want to go that route.

The Mack trade seems like the most realistic cost and that didn't really work out too well for the Chargers although they weren't nearly as good as the Lions are.

In any event, I don't think it's even worth talking about Crosby anymore because it's so unrealistic. I even think Hendrickson is completely unrealistic and Reddick simply because of culture/scheme fit. As I've said earlier, I'd put my money on somebody like Za'Darius Smith or Cam Jordan being brought in, I'd prefer Smith or those two options seems like he has some gas left in the tank.

Edited by NYLion

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yep. Garrett seems like the exact opposite of a cultural fit for the Lions. Same thing with Reddick. On top of that, I believe the cost to get Garrett would be as high as the cost to acquire Crosby.

is Garrett a known bad guy/loafer?

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, he used his helmet as a weapon and swung it at Steelers QB Mason Rudolph's head. He was suspended by the NFL indefinitely for his actions.

No. This is not what they mean about culture or bad guy.   This was an on-field incident 5 years ago that was caused by over-aggression.   He was chosen as Walter Payton Man of the Year candidate by his teammates the next season.    He is a hard worker that is loved by his teammates and puts winning first.   He’s a leader on his defense and someone that would be a huge fit.   Unfortunately he’s got $50m in dead cap or trade by the Browns and I don’t see them taking that on now.  

A bad guy is someone that focuses on individual accomplishments and money more than team success.  Someone that doesn’t put in the time effort or focus to constantly work or get better.  Someone that lacks the maturity to stay out of trouble off the field.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have to imagine the first call was to the Lions. 

I doubt Holmes is interested at all tbh. Reddick doesn't fit the prototype the Lions like on edge and he's not giving Reddick the multi-year contract he desires, plus he's a turd.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have to imagine the first call was to the Lions. 

The first thing the Lions will be looking for is a de who can set the edge and maintain gap integrity as well as rush, and secondly, maybe someone who can rush from the Sam position, but he also needs to drop and cover. Reddick isn’t stout on the edge, and he’s not really a cover backer.

47 minutes ago, Longgone said:

The first thing the Lions will be looking for is a de who can set the edge and maintain gap integrity as well as rush, and secondly, maybe someone who can rush from the Sam position, but he also needs to drop and cover. Reddick isn’t stout on the edge, and he’s not really a cover backer.

The first thing the Lions will be looking for is someone that fits the culture.  

35 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Adams was a hired gun that didn’t work out.  Maxx is the homegrown face of their franchise.   I can’t see them parting ways unless he makes it very clear that he wants out.  

I admit it's probably blinded by hope, but while everything you say is true, the problem is the raiders roster is awful. They have like two useful pieces out of 22. They don't have enough a qb, eb, wr, standout defender (outside crosby) or much on the line.

Right now they are among 13 teams with two loses or fewer and 10 of em need qbs. Someone is gonna be left out.

So by keeping crosby they are hoping to be one of the three teams to get high enough to get a qb. Or they are bringing in another crap vet and putting on the year again. Either way, next year is toast so now your heading into 2026 with still a need of talent but now you got crosby nearly 30 and on his last year. Each passing year his value goes down.

Now the other option is to trade crosby for 3 or 4 picks over the next two years, all probably top 100. So now you got the ammo to add more talent faster or use some combo of those picks with your own to move up to get that qb you've been searching for for thr last 50 years 

While max might be homegrown keeping him, given all the circumstances might not be a good idea for the raiders.

Only way I see it happening is if Crosby actually said he wants to get traded.  So far he has said the complete opposite.  Although maybe the Adams trade and constant losing will change his tune.   He wouldn't look bad and the franchise would probably accommodate him.  Problem is, we won't be the only team that will want him and it will be a bidding war.  Unless he quietly tells organization that he is willing to get traded if its to Detroit. 

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Only way I see it happening is if Crosby actually said he wants to get traded.  So far he has said the complete opposite.  Although maybe the Adams trade and constant losing will change his tune.   He wouldn't look bad and the franchise would probably accommodate him.  Problem is, we won't be the only team that will want him and it will be a bidding war.  Unless he quietly tells organization that he is willing to get traded if its to Detroit. 

The only other way I see it happening is if the Raiders love Hendon Hooker and think he could be the franchise QB. In 2023, the Raiders picked two selections after the Lions picked Hooker. The Raiders last pick before Hooker had been Michael Mayer at 2.35. For all we know, they had their eyes on Hooker and we stole him.

It's a stretch, but if they could sell their fans on the thought that they traded away a franchise defensive edge for a franchise QB and acquired high level picks in the process, maybe that would get it done.

Lions send 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, 2026 3rd, Hendon Hooker, and James Houston

Raiders send 2025 4th and Maxx Crosby

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The only other way I see it happening is if the Raiders love Hendon Hooker and think he could be the franchise QB. In 2023, the Raiders picked two selections after the Lions picked Hooker. The Raiders last pick before Hooker had been Michael Mayer at 2.35. For all we know, they had their eyes on Hooker and we stole him.

It's a stretch, but if they could sell their fans on the thought that they traded away a franchise defensive edge for a franchise QB and acquired high level picks in the process, maybe that would get it done.

Lions send 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, 2026 3rd, Hendon Hooker, and James Houston

Raiders send 2025 4th and Maxx Crosby

I don't see the Lions trading their backup QB away during the season.  If Goff would go down for 3-4 games, they'd be completely done for.  With Hooker, there is at least hope he's been in the system enough to win 50% of the games and keep them in contention.

5 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I don't see the Lions trading their backup QB away during the season.  If Goff would go down for 3-4 games, they'd be completely done for.  With Hooker, there is at least hope he's been in the system enough to win 50% of the games and keep them in contention.

Presumably we'd get Gardner Minshew in return. Though my mock trade didn't include that, so good thing I'm not a GM. 😆

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Presumably we'd get Gardner Minshew in return. Though my mock trade didn't include that, so good thing I'm not a GM. 😆

If you had Maxx Crosby on your team would you be happy with that trade?