Week Eight: Tennessee Titans (1-5) @ Detroit Lions (5-1)

MichiganCardinal

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.f092372dd4f0e25abf80b6734b74822a.png          vs.          logo.png.a6db534c0c76124c138bbd23014055bf.png

Setting: 10/27/2024 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -9.5

All-Time Series Record: Titans lead, 10-3

Last Meeting: 12/20/2020, Titans won 46-25

Tennessee Titans (1-5)

Head Coach: Brian Callahan (1st Season: 1-5)

Projected Starting QB: Will Levis (2nd Season: 4-10) or Mason Rudolph (7th Season: 8-5-1)

Last Week: 34-10 L @ Buffalo Bills (5-2)

Looking Ahead to Week #9: Sunday v. New England Patriots (1-6)

lionstitansgdt.jpg.7910c141cf5bb2ad2e6087cdd6907023.jpg

Your Detroit Lions (5-1)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (4th Season: 29-27-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (9th Season: 71-51-1)

Last Week: 31-29 W @ Minnesota Vikings (5-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #9: Sunday @ Green Bay Packers (5-2)

lions_titans_gdt.jpeg.b042ee50790924a6bc3c907665539b5e.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Vikings @ Rams (TNF), Cowboys @ 49ers (SNF), Giants @ Steelers (MNF)

1:00pm: Ravens @ Browns, Packers @ Jaguars, Colts @ Texans, Cardinals @ Dolphins, Jets @ Patriots, Falcons @ Buccaneers, Eagles @ Bengals

4:05/4:25pm: Saints @ Chargers, Bills @ Seahawks, Bears @ Commanders, Panthers @ Broncos, Chiefs @ Raiders

By this time in the season, the very good teams are starting to look very good. The very bad teams are starting to look very bad. Each of these teams fits into one of those categories.

Looking around the league, there aren't a lot of good games on paper this week. Vikings-Rams might be close if the Vikings have a post-Lions let down. Cowboys-Niners might be interesting. Eagles-Bengals maybe. Bears-Commies maybe.

This is a good in between game for the Lions.  They definitely shouldn't sleep on the Titans although if Monty or other important players have injury concerns, get them rest.  After this we have two brutal away games.  After the bye I would of been happy if they went 3-2.  Now if we can win either at GB or Houston and its a very successful 5 games.  GB game obviously more important because of it being a divisional game.  Or why not just win both of them.

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Looking around the league, there aren't a lot of good games on paper this week. Vikings-Rams might be close if the Vikings have a post-Lions let down. Cowboys-Niners might be interesting. Eagles-Bengals maybe. Bears-Commies maybe.

Time to see if that story line about the Lions physically beating up teams holds true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Revenge Tour after extinguishing Seattle and Dallas continues.

I know some are worried about this being a trap game but I don't think the coaches, or players, will allow that to get the best of them. It might be a little close for a time because it's the NFL and every team plays tough (outside of Carolina) but this should be a fairly comfortable 2+ score victory.

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I know some are worried about this being a trap game but I don't think the coaches, or players, will allow that to get the best of them. It might be a little close for a time because it's the NFL and every team plays tough (outside of Carolina) but this should be a fairly comfortable 2+ score victory.

I don’t think Tennessee is good enough for this to be a trap game, even if the Lions did overlook them.

There’s just no one of note on offense for them. They’ll try to run with Pollard but when that doesn’t work, because it never works against the Lions, they’ll be forced to throw with either Levis or Rudolph, and that’s a recipe for disaster (for them).

Trap games come against 6-11 or 7-10 teams. Good enough to win most games, bad enough for it to not matter. Tennessee is closer to a 3-14 team. Just bad.

I believe more in trap games in college football, I think in the NFL with professionals and knowing that every other team is compiled of said professionals teams generally don't overlook lesser teams especially when you are well coached like the Lions. That's not to say they won't lose cause you know "any given Sunday" but if they do I'm almost positive it won't be because it was a "trap game" or they were looking towards GB. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I really can't think of any past games against the Titans other than the one like 10 years ago where the Lions were down 2 TDs with like a minute left and came back to either tie it and send it to overtime or lose on the final possession(can't remember just know that we obviously lost). 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Interesting.   The NFL just flexed Jaguars at Eagles out of SNF in 2 weeks and replaced it with Vikings at Colts instead of Lions at Packers.   Odd.

I think cause the Lions/Pack were already Fox's "game of the week" with Brady calling it. That game actually outdraws the prime time games sometimes. 

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I believe that game is the game of the week so probably didn’t want flex out of it. 

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Lions are also already on SNF in week ten against the Texans. That would be back to back weeks.

Both very good reasons.  I guess it’s not odd after all.

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Somehow Goff isn’t in the top 5 and Branch is an all pro. Can you believe the Packers helped the Lions draft Branch when they needed a safety? 

Goff will always be underrated by PFF grades and some advanced stats cause they don't account for actually making pre snap reads and audibles, reading defenses, going through progressions and throwing to the right receiver. They give so much more praise to the "wow throws" or plays where guys make something out of nothing instead of plays that Goff excels at.

They just see him complete a pass to an open receiver and think nothing of it instead of actually crediting him with not only finding that open receiver, completing the pass and often times throwing that pass with anticipation on time. Also people don't put enough emphasis on completing the passes that you should.

They have the mindset of "all QBs can make throws if guys are open and they have time" and yes NFL QBs can do that but they don't hit it at nearly the rate Goff has. They might complete the pass 70% of the time which is excellent but Goff has been far above that. It would be like an NBA player hitting 60+% of his open threes and not giving him credit cause "all NBA players can make open shots". 

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Yeah, I agree. Campbell probably won't allow them to look past the Titans. Hopefully, we'll get to see Hooker finishing a blowout.