Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is awesome, things are looking up for Detroit. We better have a 1st round pick for 2024.

They won't. By then they will have built up a Super Bowl caliber roster and just need a QB so they did what other teams have done and traded the picks for an elite, franchise QB who's a proven winner like Matthew Stafford. 

• Haha 1

It's clear the Lions are building towards the future and will endure more growing pains in 2022. They aren't handing out multi year deals, they aren't restructuring contracts to borrow from future years to prop the 2022 team up, and they aren't trading any future draft picks.

So 1 year deals like this, Hughes, etc. are pretty insignificant and harmless towards their ultimate goal of being a playoff team in 2023.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, buddha said:

it's hard to judge these moves because the lions obviously arent done yet.  

Frankly, what I am judging Holmes and the front office on thus far are coaching hires, scouting, drafting, and cap management. I want to know they made the right coaching hires from Campbell on down, can draft quality players, and manage their salary cap responsibly. Until we get into an offseason where this team is ready to spend big and win now, I'll reserve most of my free agency judgements. I'm glad they aren't trying to act like Trent Baalke and Jacksonville and go for broke in free agency. Holmes has been smart and measured thus far through two free agency periods. While I would have liked a bigger move than DJ Chark, like a Marcus Williams or De'Vondre Campbell signing, I'm not going to judge Holmes full on free agency just yet.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

When building a team you have to estimate when that team will start peaking an d every move you make must be with that year or group of years in mind.  For the Lions, like the Tigers and Wings, it's 2024.   Stay the course, if it doesn't work, the next guys will build for 2027.  Don't do something splashy and foolish that could only turn a 6-11 team to an 8-9 team.   17 game records just look so odd. 

I don’t think Davis is worth a roster spot.    In the grand scheme, its the league minimum so he will have to perform to make the team anyway.  

My real concern is they should know better than anyone that his lack of understanding of the LB position minimizes the athletic ability and great attitude.    The guy is always one dumb decision away from a 75 year TD run.   

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think Davis is worth a roster spot.    In the grand scheme, its the league minimum so he will have to perform to make the team anyway.  

My real concern is they should know better than anyone that his lack of understanding of the LB position minimizes the athletic ability and great attitude.    The guy is always one dumb decision away from a 75 year TD run.   

I think there is a decent chance he doesn’t make the team. Likely depends on who is drafted.

I'll take a crack at the schedule

Sept 11   at Chicago

Sept 18  vs. Miami

Sept 25  vs. Minnesota

Oct 2   at Green Bay

Oct 9 vs. Washington

Oct 17 at Dallas (Monday Night Football)

Oct 23 vs. Chicago

Oct 30 at NY Jets

Nov 6  vs. Seattle

Nov 13 at New England

Nov 20 at Carolina

Nov 24. vs. Green Bay (Thanksgiving)

Dec 4 vs. Jacksonville

Dec 11 at NY Giants

Dec 18 vs. Buffalo 

Dec 24 vs. Philadelphia (Saturday)

Jan 1 at Minnesota  

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like this signing. Elliot is not a bad player when healthy and would be an upgrade over Will Harris. He's still young too. 

He’s been unlucky with injuries so I doubt he’ll come here and suddenly have a change of luck.   It’s the Lions after all.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’s been unlucky with injuries so I doubt he’ll come here and suddenly have a change of luck.   It’s the Lions after all.   

Probably not but a 1 year contract on what is likely not a large guarantee is worth taking a flier on. It's the type of signings a team like the Lions should be doing.