Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

DK or Brown are the two WRs I would love to get if they came available. I think they fit the Lions need to a T, can play the outside,  a threat for the deep ball and can come down with the 50/50 balls. If we could get either for one of 32 or 34 and maybe a later pick this draft or a future 2nd or 3rd I would jump all over that.

Id be hesitant to give up both 32 and 34 though cause Id like to address another need with that pick this year. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

DK or Brown are the two WRs I would love to get if they came available. I think they fit the Lions need to a T, can play the outside,  a threat for the deep ball and can come down with the 50/50 balls. If we could get either for one of 32 or 34 and maybe a later pick this draft or a future 2nd or 3rd I would jump all over that.

Id be hesitant to give up both 32 and 34 though cause Id like to address another need with that pick this year. 

Amazing that the 2017 Ole Miss team had Shea Patterson, DK, AJ, Van Jefferson, Dawson Knox and went 6-6.    The next year Jordan Te’aamu took the QB job and Jefferson transferred to Florida and they went 6-7. 

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Amazing that the 2017 Ole Miss team had Shea Patterson, DK, AJ, Van Jefferson, Dawson Knox and went 6-6.    The next year Jordan Te’aamu took the QB job and Jefferson transferred to Florida and they went 6-7. 

With Shea Patterson one would have expected even worse.....

On a serious note Im still of the belief that we can be contenders with Goff. Yeah having an elite qb makes things a whole helluva lot easier but teams have shown in recent years that you can indeed win without one. 

The 49ers made a SB and NFC Championship with Jimmy G

The Jags made an AFC Championship with Bortles

The Titans made the AFC Championship with Tannehill

The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles plus not to beat a dead horse the Rams made the Super Bowl with Goff himself. 

I think if Goff can play like he did the last quarter of the season then that is sufficient enough going forward for the Lions if they continue to add the surrounding pieces like they have been. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

On a serious note Im still of the belief that we can be contenders with Goff. Yeah having an elite qb makes things a whole helluva lot easier but teams have shown in recent years that you can indeed win without one. 

The Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles plus not to beat a dead horse the Rams made the Super Bowl with Goff himself. 

I think if Goff can play like he did the last quarter of the season then that is sufficient enough going forward for the Lions if they continue to add the surrounding pieces like they have been. 

I'm in the same boat. I don't think there is this dire need to trade a bunch of assets for a QB. Goff is good enough to get you to the playoffs. Build the roster around Goff and wait for your future QB. The issue will be is that Goff is only under contract for two seasons. The Lions will have a very tough decision. They could franchise him to buy another year but I don't think that will go over well. 

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The problem is several fold here:

1. Goff can't throw the ball more than 20 yards. Now we have pieces that are designed to stretch the field, so is he the right QB for us?

2. All of those teams including the Rams with Goff had something going for them, they were really good teams without the QB. Those are hard to come by and the Lions haven't done that in 70 years. Do you expect them to figure it out now? 

3. Even if the ones you listed, only one won a superbowl. The goal isn't making the playoffs or winning a couple games. Its about winning the big game. It's really really hard to do that without a top third QB. Do you think its prudent to keep Goff hope you have a good team then realize he can't get you over the hump therefore wasting those prime team years before the group gets dismantled. 

4. You're counting on Goff playing like the last quarter, what if he plays like the first quarter?

5. While 27, Goff has been in the league for almost 7 years there is little likelyhood he improves on what he is. 

Now, you could keep Goff and hope all those things become true or break the lions way or work to find an elite QB which makes everybody around him better. The second one seems slightly easier to find than building a crazy elite team Rob Johnson style. 

Matthew Stafford from age 24-26 put up the three worst seasons of his career minus his injury shortened rookie season. In fact, they were worse seasons than any season Goff put up. Stafford won a Super Bowl. He couldn't win a Super Bowl when he didn't have a good team. I think you are going to have a harder time finding this unicorn QB who can win with a bad team than building a good team and placing that QB in it. I don't think the team needs to be crazy elite. 

Goff has a TD pass that traveled 62 yards in the air, one of the longest in recent memory among NFL qbs and just last year had a td travel 50 yards in the air so I don't get where this narrative comes that he can't throw a ball more than 20 yards. He may be too reluctant to throw deep but that doesn't mean he physically can't if a guy is open down there.

Goff has the arm strength to throw it deep. He just lacks the accuracy and/or is too afraid to throw it. Get a guy like Williams who can get behind the defense and I think Goff can hit him deep. I mean, he did it when he had Cooks. Williams isn't just a run deep and catch. He can take the slants and out routes deep. 

Also if you're good enough to reach the conference championship game you're good enough to win the SB, the NFL is much like the MLB in the aspect that their playoffs can be a crapshoot since they are just one game. I know it's a cliche but it is true,especially among teams of that caliber and that's on any given Sunday anybody can beat anybody else.