Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

As Buddha laid out, Nagy was a disaster as a play caller in Chicago. The Bears ranked in the bottom 20 in scoring, TDs, yards for much of Nagy's tenure there. Sure, he called some plays in KC with Andy Reid at his side. But you have to wonder who was designing those and the concepts in the playbook as a whole. Was it Reid and then him feeding it to Nagy? I don't see the appeal of Nagy at this point. He has to prove himself again and I don't want to be the team that gives him the spot to do that.

PFF had a ranking of the top 200 free agents expected to be available. The Lions had two; Charles Harris at 107 and Tracy Walker at 169. 

I expected Walker to be higher and they have an expected deal to be 2 years 9 million. They have Harris at 3 years 27.

They need so much help I expect them to sign 5-6 guys to shorter term low end deals and hope to find a few gems and fill holes like last year. Hopefully it will work out better than last years crop.

I think that the comments about Ben Johnson are great, until or unless he gets Lionized. I don't know that Zac Taylor is familiar with the process of Lionization, so I'll forgive him. Seriously, that's great praise to get from the Super Bowl runner-up coach in Taylor. I hope we got a good one here with Ben Johnson as our OC.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Perhaps some are fluff pieces but the more I hear about Johnson the more excited I am to see what the Lions can do with him calling plays.

Hopefully through the draft or FA we can bolster our WR corps and if we do the offense will have the weapons and o line to be pretty good. 

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Renewed my 2023 season tickets today. Chuckled as I authorized automatic payments for home playoff games.

Serious questions. Did you renew because you have faith in the new regime or because it's just a force of habit at this point as a fan? Would you have renewed last season if they had kept Quinn and Patricia for another season? If Campbell and Co. don't dramatically improve this next season (we'll say north of 6-7 wins) would you still renew next year?

Unless you have some super amazing seats,  I don’t get the allure of season tickets anymore.  Seems like a thing of the past.    I can go to any Lions game that I want and have my choice of seat without having to pay for pointless preseason games.   I also don’t have to prepay and lock up a few thousand dollars and give the Lions an interest free loan with my money.  I really like being able to choose different locations rather than play the stupid seniority game every year hoping for ticket improvements.    Another bonus is no annoying telemarketing from a ticket rep pretending to be your best friend.   

Edited by Hongbit

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Serious questions. Did you renew because you have faith in the new regime or because it's just a force of habit at this point as a fan? Would you have renewed last season if they had kept Quinn and Patricia for another season? If Campbell and Co. don't dramatically improve this next season (we'll say north of 6-7 wins) would you still renew next year?

Both. This is only my second season as a STM, so I could lie in the future if Holmes/Campbell works out and claim I knew it from their announcement. In truth though, when I moved back to Michigan in early 2020 I would have gotten season tickets for the 2020 season if there were fans. I don’t have any intention to not renew based on performance, though obviously the product is better when we win, and I’m sure I will tire of it at some point if we are consistently winning 6 or less games.

For me, it’s been a way to do something I enjoy (the entire experience) and reconnect with various friends and family. I brought someone different to every game last season, some of them were even old friends from school who flew in. My seats are pretty decent (section 109 row in the 20s on the aisle).  They go for more than I pay on the resale market. There are only 8-9 games, so it’s not like I’m “burdened” with 80 trips to Detroit for the Tigers or 40 for the Pistons/Wings.

I’m satisfied with the product I get. Might change with age, guess we will see.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Another bonus is no annoying telemarketing from a ticket rep pretending to be your best friend.   

This made me laugh. The turnover rate on those reps is so high that you barely get to know their first name before a new one is assigned. I would guess that people who pay more (club seats especially) get the better/tenured reps, but I got a happy birthday message from mine last week and had to scroll back to remember who they were.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

That would be awesome but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I wonder where in the city they would hold it at if they did pick Detroit? I suppose they could just do Ford Field but for the previous cities it looked like they set up something in the city instead. 

Rod Wood mentioned Ford Field, the Fox Theater, Comerica, and LCA in a 2017 interview. In a more recent one, he only mentioned Ford Field to formally host the event, but stated that other venues could cooperate and host other events leading up to Draft Day. He said that the walkability of all the downtown venues was a large part of their pitch. He also mentioned tying Canada into their proposal, and making it a draw to expanding the NFL’s audience.

I think the national picture that gets painted of Detroit is the biggest thing working against them. Cleveland and Philly have both hosted now though.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Rod Wood mentioned Ford Field, the Fox Theater, Comerica, and LCA in a 2017 interview. In a more recent one, he only mentioned Ford Field to formally host the event, but stated that other venues could cooperate and host other events leading up to Draft Day. He said that the walkability of all the downtown venues was a large part of their pitch. He also mentioned tying Canada into their proposal, and making it a draw to expanding the NFL’s audience.

I think the national picture that gets painted of Detroit is the biggest thing working against them. Cleveland and Philly have both hosted now though.

If they got it I was hoping they would be able to do what some other cities did and set up a spot downtown outdoors so you could get the spectacle of all the fans lining the streets.