Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Can Tork play OF or 3B?  I know they moved him off 3B before...but if CK can't throw...maybe he needs to Scott Hattieberg over to 1B

Torkelson shows some range moving laterally, but not the kind of quicks  or hands you'd like at 3b and IIRC the reports about his arm when he tried third after the draft was that it wasn't MLB quality for 3B even if it might be above average for a 1b. Henning's reporting was tantalizingly incomplete with regard to the prognosis for Keith's shoulder. If there wasn't permanent damage and it's just a matter of more rehab it would seem there really shouldn't be any debate about who is going to be at 3b next season. My guess is that giving Malloy more time there is just a hope and a prayer and maybe even an effort to pump up his potential trade value.

I've come around to where I'm OK with Carpenter in RF so as I see it, DH is wide open for Malloy and I'd stop worrying about where he is going to play in the field - he doesn't have to.

Bigbie might be the bigger dilemma but if he spends some time in Toledo next season they have another 1/2 season to figure that out.

I puzzled why Justin Henry-Malloy didnt get a call he's been hitting the cover off the ball more then Lipcius was in Toledo.Sure his Defense isnt great but a few weeks in AAA isnt gonna change that more then having time getting coached by some Major Coaches in Detroit. There something to be said for rewarding a player who has put in some work at AAA.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've come around to where I'm OK with Carpenter in RF so as I see it, DH is wide open for Malloy and I'd stop worrying about where he is going to play in the field - he doesn't have to.

I agree, let's put that .400 OBP at the top of the order and sneak him into LF in a road game once a week.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I puzzled why Justin Henry-Malloy didnt get a call he's been hitting the cover off the ball more then Lipcius was in Toledo.Sure his Defense isnt great but a few weeks in AAA isnt gonna change that more then having time getting coached by some Major Coaches in Detroit. There something to be said for rewarding a player who has put in some work at AAA.

Lipcius has a .800 OPS in about a season of AAA plate appearances, he’s already on the 40, he’s 25 years old, he’s able to play more defensive positions than Malloy. He just might be more of a complete two way player right now and they probably need to see him at the MLB level of competition sooner given age and contract.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

Lipcius has a .800 OPS in about a season of AAA plate appearances, he’s already on the 40, he’s 25 years old, he’s able to play more defensive positions than Malloy. He just might be more of a complete two way player right now and they probably need to see him at the MLB level of competition sooner given age and contract.

what about Nevin? their are players currently on the 40-man that are not in the future plans like Malloy is . I mean you can make any argue to keep someone down but at some point its not a good look I mean do you really think Parker Meadows is any different of a player from Mid July?

Edited by Toddwert

5 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

what about Nevin? their are players currently on the 40-man that are not in the future plans like Malloy is 

I got nothing rational to explain for Nevin over Malloy aside from it must be a combination of Malloy’s defense not being ready enough in their evaluation and not being on the 40 man.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that teams have only 2 extra roster spots to play with these days.  It’s different from before when teams could fill up the dugout and roster with whomever was on the 40.  So, it wasn’t uncommon for teams to have differing number of players in any given September matchup.  It was quite an odd arrangement if you take a step back from it and look at it.  It was kind of as odd as the NFL 3rd QB rule where the first two QBs had to be knocked out before the 3rd could come into a game, and I think that was restricted to the 2nd half, too.

I’m probably in the minority, but I think limiting the roster expansion makes sense.  It doesn’t make sense to play one month of the season with a significantly different number of available players than the rest of the season.

Plus, the minor leagues go longer into the year now.  Before the roster rule change, AAA regular season stopped at Labor Day.  Now it goes into late September.  So, the prospects that would have normally gotten called up at Labor Day with no other playing option get a few more weeks of playing time in the minors.

Spring training next year is wide open. Nobody should be guaranteed anything. That will be the time for the young guys to show what they can do. 

This year is farewell to Miggy and see what the fringe guys have got. Then Miggy is gone and roster decisions can made on guys who aren't worth bringing back. 

Also have to consider which guys need protection from the rule V draft.

was mentioned earlier, but Malloy and Keith don't need to be added to the 40 this winter, so in (I assume) April 2024 they will be added to the 40 and 26 man rosters and come North. the tigers have at least a rational reason (defense) to keep them at Toledo now. that gives Harris two 40 man roster spots to churn all Winter.

• Thanks 1

One possibility is that they are rewarding well rounded players and are willing to leave players in the minors in order to work on aspects of their game that aren't ready. Meadows and Lipcius are ready to be tested in every aspect of their games both offense and defense. Malloy's bat is ready but his defense isn't. So, the message to the whole system is to work at all aspects of your game and be a well rounded player.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

was mentioned earlier, but Malloy and Keith don't need to be added to the 40 this winter, so in (I assume) April 2024 they will be added to the 40 and 26 man rosters and come North. the tigers have at least a rational reason (defense) to keep them at Toledo now. that gives Harris two 40 man roster spots to churn all Winter.

This is probably reason number 1 of many.

6 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

This is probably reason number 1 of many.

All things being equal the benefits of bringing Malloy and Keith up for the final 3-4 weeks of the season far outweigh any further developing that they might do in that time period in AAA. But the 40-man roster issue overrides everything. 

6 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Spring training next year is wide open. Nobody should be guaranteed anything. That will be the time for the young guys to show what they can do. 

This year is farewell to Miggy and see what the fringe guys have got. Then Miggy is gone and roster decisions can made on guys who aren't worth bringing back. 

Also have to consider which guys need protection from the rule V draft.

😠image.png.41b7dc91d602d70bc48f2e13160c6b10.png

No Roman Numerals in the document...

Anyways, the four guys I think get protected are Wilmer Flores, Dillon Dingler, Sawyer Gipson-Long, and Keider Montero. Montero may not. Trei Cruz and Roberto Campos are two others eligible. Montero needs to be added right after the season because he is eligible for free agency.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Anyways, the four guys I think get protected are Wilmer Flores, Dillon Dingler, Sawyer Gipson-Long, and Keider Montero. Montero may not. Trei Cruz and Roberto Campos are two others eligible. Montero needs to be added right after the season because he is eligible for free agency.

I'll make the same mistake next year.

17 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Nevin and Lipcius can play part time. Malloy and Keith need full time work in AAA.

I originally agreed with this, but I've changed my mind.  I think there's ample room for at least one of Malloy/Keith in Detroit right now.  With Greene on the IL, that's going to impact Vierling's time at 3B as he'll be needed more for the OF.  Nevin & Ibanez have no future in Detroit and Harris had mentioned before about earmarking playing time for younger players.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I originally agreed with this, but I've changed my mind.  I think there's ample room for at least one of Malloy/Keith in Detroit right now.  With Greene on the IL, that's going to impact Vierling's time at 3B as he'll be needed more for the OF.  Nevin & Ibanez have no future in Detroit and Harris had mentioned before about earmarking playing time for younger players.

this is my point exactly

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The invitation to the Rule V party has a Roman numeral.  It's been that way for years.  

• Haha 2