Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, Longgone said:

We won't know what they have in him until he has a stretch where he is fully healthy, able to get in shape physically and and is able to get into a good routine, all things he hasn't had so far.

Its an unfortunate situation when you look at his career progression and stat lines through 2019.  Then COVID hit, he didn't pitch in 2020.  His post 2020 pales in comparison to his pre 2020.  Now, there is the high competition that he's faced (pre was only as high as AA, post has been AAA/MLB).  That's certainly a factor.  But he hasn't been able to gain more starts/innings during a season since 2019.  And maybe he was called up to Detroit well before he was ready to begin with.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

We won't know what they have in him until he has a stretch where he is fully healthy, able to get in shape physically and and is able to get into a good routine, all things he hasn't had so far.

All things he hasn't had since high school. At what point is it fair to suggest he's not capable of those things?

18 minutes ago, microline133 said:

All things he hasn't had since high school. At what point is it fair to suggest he's not capable of those things?

Fate seems to conspire against some, but with pitchers career enders come out of the blue so often anyway how do you predict? In 2006, did Zumaya look like a candidate to be out of baseball in 3 yrs  with a blown elbow? I think all you can do is see whether he pitches his way into the rotation and if he does you cross your fingers like you have to for every pitcher. If his inconsistency allows other pitchers to beat him out of a spot that solves your problem as well.

23 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Its fair now, it's just that you can't judge a player's potential based on stats incurred when they are performing at less than 100% of capability.

And of course the obvious point is that what we do or don't believe about Manning's (or any other player's) future is good discussion fodder, and we all like to match our predictive power as observers/fans against the eventual outcomes, but if you run the team, you let need to let your final decisions be driven by what happens on the field. Manning will either earn a spot in the rotation by pitching well enough this Spring or even for some initial weeks in Toledo or he won't. That's the place the decision needs to be made.

Edited by gehringer_2

I remember really wanting Riley Pint that draft, the HS fireballer who was already touching triple digits pre draft. Fortunately for us the Rockies took him before we had a chance to cause I wouldn't have been surprised if he would've been our pick if he was there for us. 

I believe he's been out of baseball for a few years now so Manning has definetly ended up better no matter what he does from here. 

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Manning at this point might just be an inexpensive innings-eater.  Still valuable to the team, but would likely yield very little in trade return.  If so, better off holding on to him to give you innings in 2024 and hope something clicks with him.  Then you have options.

That’s one way to look at it.

12 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

So, man among boys at the AFL.  Lions vs. Christians.  It's good to see.  In which league does he start in 2024?

Sadly, the team that racks up the most K on the other is not automatically given a win in Baseball. 4 hits, 3 runs and  an 'L' in W/L column went along with those 7Ks.

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

So, man among boys at the AFL.  Lions vs. Christians.  It's good to see.  In which league does he start in 2024?

I would wager on starting in Erie next year.

If he's got it in Spring Training, I'm not opposed to plopping him in the big league rotation. TINSTAAP and PPI are big drivers in that.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

If he's got it in Spring Training, I'm not opposed to plopping him in the big league rotation. TINSTAAP and PPI are big drivers in that.

That's good to hear. So do you think he is our most valuable pitching asset in the organization or is Skubal say over the next 3 seasons ? 

50 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

By TINSTAAP, I am guessing you mean let him pitch in the majors before he gets hurt?  That's how how I feel about young pitchers in general.    

On 10/19/2023 at 11:39 AM, RandyMarsh said:

I remember really wanting Riley Pint that draft, the HS fireballer who was already touching triple digits pre draft. Fortunately for us the Rockies took him before we had a chance to cause I wouldn't have been surprised if he would've been our pick if he was there for us. 

I believe he's been out of baseball for a few years now so Manning has definetly ended up better no matter what he does from here. 

Riley Pint unretired in 2022 and is currently on the Rockies 40 man roster. He has been THE definition of a blown draft pick. We saw him start a game for the Asheville Tourists during their first series of the year in 2018 at Delmarva, MD. He didn’t get out of the first inning as I recall due to an arm injury, one of many in his career. I think he missed that entire year as a result. 

Edited by 1776