Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

kudos to Lynn for not including any released players in his top prospect list this year!

FWIW - 11 of the team's 2023 draft picks made the list (including some who have not played yet) as well as 5 more guys acquired by Harris

maybe that reflects some access bias, or Harris & Co are pretty good at talent identification, or both

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I know there is plenty of potential in Clark and Jung, but until they put up some OBP numbers somewhere there are still 'over the horizon' guys. Keith, Malloy, Bigbie are of most immediate interest, and of the new guys McGonigle is the one who has hit the ground running.

Jung has a .375 OBP in the minors.  He’ll be in Detroit at some point next summer, barring a collapse.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

JJ Cooper getting the Tigers BA list this year. They must have finally fixed the glitch. 

1. Max Clark

2. Jackson Jobe

3. Colt Keith

4. Jace Jung

5. Ty Madden

6. Justin-Henry Malloy

7. Parker Meadows

8. Kevin McGonigle

9. Dillon Dingler

10. Troy Melton

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Jung has a .375 OBP in the minors.  He’ll be in Detroit at some point next summer, barring a collapse.

yeah - I think I had his 22/23 stats reversed and was thinking he was coming off a 230 BA at AA. Lots of walks in his OBP, (esp at AFL)  which is both good and bad. Great that he walks, always questionable how much of the walk rate will translate against better pitching. That they are grooming him for 3rd should help get him to Det quick. Tigers don't have much cooking at 3b unless Vierling is able to run with a chance there.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Malloy ahead of Meadows.  Interesting.  

Malloy has a .410 OBP at every level of the minors.  Does that mean he could do .375 in the majors, with some power?  If so, he has to be on the team at DH, mediocre defense in left, and relatively poor defense at third.  If he does not make the team I don't want the reason to be "well the have Canha now and he's going to lead off".  Canha is a nice player, for an old guy, but I'm not sure that he adds a lot more future value than Malloy or even Baddoo.  We'll see next spring.

50 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Malloy has a .410 OBP at every level of the minors.  Does that mean he could do .375 in the majors, with some power?  If so, he has to be on the team at DH, mediocre defense in left, and relatively poor defense at third.  If he does not make the team I don't want the reason to be "well the have Canha now and he's going to lead off".  Canha is a nice player, for an old guy, but I'm not sure that he adds a lot more future value than Malloy or even Baddoo.  We'll see next spring.

Canha is your RF. Malloy and Carpenter will be mostly DH with some OF time. Baddoo will be pushed back to Toledo to work on getting the OBP up. Riley and Meadows both hit LHP so they are going to be there 90% of the time unless Meadows doesn't hit and ends up back in Toledo. Those AB then get added to Malloy and Carpenter. If Jung makes the team, Vierling will have no regular place to play unless Riley starts the season at less than full time. That's assuming 3b is Vierlings to lose if Jung is in the minors.

We are finally getting to where some guys are going to have to perform to get their PAs.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am very intrigued by Malloy's on base potential. The question is how well he will hit when the best pitchers in the world are throwing more strikes to him.  I would love to see him get a lot of at bats next year.  The other question is how a full-time DH fits into modern management's love for positional versatility.  I think he would have to put up at least an .800 OPS annually.    

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The other question is how a full-time DH fits into modern management's love for positional versatility.  I think he would have to put up at least an .800 OPS annually.

i was going to say Hinch should be used to having a single DH but it's easy to forget that Cabrera was only playing every other day last season.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am very intrigued by Malloy's on base potential. The question is how well he will hit when the best pitchers in the world are throwing more strikes to him.

so he had a 140 OPB points in walks (110 in 600 PA). I don't know if I'd call it 'worst case' but I wouldn't be surprised to see that cut roughly in half against MLB pitchers. If his average drops from 280 to 250 on promotion and he loses half the walks, that will pull his OBP down to 320. Not bad but a player you are less willing to work around position issues for. Granted this reading may be on the pessimistic side, but most years less than half a dozen of the league's best hitters reach 90 BB. Maybe more than 55 BB for Malloy but more than 80 would be a lot to ask.

30 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

All this minor league OBP gushing reminds me of this.

Which former Tigers prospect is this? Hint: he played several years in the Majors. MLB career OBP was sub .300. image.thumb.png.e07c70d7b71c47674127d2049a130073.png

It could be a lot of players.  Most guys who put up good numbers in the minors don't succeed in the majors.  Minor league numbers tell you who won't make it, but do not necessarily tell you who will make it.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

All this minor league OBP gushing reminds me of this.

Which former Tigers prospect is this? Hint: he played several years in the Majors. MLB career OBP was sub .300. image.thumb.png.e07c70d7b71c47674127d2049a130073.png

Well this guy clearly is no comparison to Malloy, 2 reasons:

(a) his OBP in 2 years in the very low minors was .370, and then .400. Malloy's is .410 at every level including AA and AAA.

(b) your guy seems to have hit 3 home runs in 1000 PA's at the very lowest levels of Milb.  Malloy hit 23 in 600 PA's at AAA.

So, I might have some doubts about Malloy, and I do, but not because of whoever this guy is.