Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

What does "favorite" mean in that arena ? Are we talking Gentleman's understanding among clubs or does his parents live at Scott Harris' house ?

Means they have agreed to a deal but can't be signed until next Jan 15.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

No comment until there's a signature on the dotted line...

Only then, at that point, will I crow if he's still in that top10-top5 range...

Yes, He deserves no credit for something that might happen a year from now.  He's a smart guy and I think he will be a good GM/president/director/whatever, but right now he gets an incomplete grade and there are still a lot of Avila acquisitions making good strides lately.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, He deserves no credit for something that might happen...

I am less concerned about credit and more about jinxing or something else going wrong...

When we get the signature... a sigh of relief that it got done...

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, He deserves no credit for something that might happen a year from now.  He's a smart guy and I think he will be a good GM/president/director/whatever, but right now he gets an incomplete grade and there are still a lot of Avila acquisitions making good strides lately.

Good point but the question remains how much if any credit the new team deserves for developing the players Al drafted ?

8 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Good point but the question remains how much if any credit the new team deserves for developing the players Al drafted ?

We say this like Al was in the room beyond the first pick. I will say this for Al, even if his hand was forced, the player development shift did start under his watch. Now, whether there was some lip service and if it was a half measure is a legitimate question. Player development has been a definite emphasis for Harris and company to the point where they deserve a lion's share of the credit, imo. They've gone all in, whereas Avila dipped his toe in the water enough to give the veil of an upgrade, but still made sure to tip his hat to the old school folks. There are plenty of quotes to that nature. I suspect this was a big reason for the disjointed 2022.

Besides, a strong player development reputation does help in the draft. Say you get to the third day and you have a sleeper you like you want to take in the 13th round. Your area guy calls to make sure he will sign for $150K, but he says no. The Dodgers, with a strong player dev reputation, take him and sign him for $150K instead.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Is this something you know to be true?

Or are you just translating what Doyle is reporting?  

It's common down there. "Favorite to sign" is a common euphemism for agreed to a contract before eligible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

"Bigbie had a huge season and his underlying batted ball data is ridiculous. He is deceptively strong and had a hard-hit rate over 50% despite his skinny build. Bigbie looks beatable inside, around his hands; he sprays a ton of doubles-worthy contact just inside the opposite field foul pole. I came away from his Fall League look skeptical that he’ll continue to hit this well, and am pretty resolved that he can’t play center field. This is me leaning heavily on my eyeball look; Bigbie’s underlying Statcast-style data is so strong that I’m sure some teams value him as a prospect solely for that."

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

"Bigbie had a huge season and his underlying batted ball data is ridiculous. He is deceptively strong and had a hard-hit rate over 50% despite his skinny build. Bigbie looks beatable inside, around his hands; he sprays a ton of doubles-worthy contact just inside the opposite field foul pole. I came away from his Fall League look skeptical that he’ll continue to hit this well, and am pretty resolved that he can’t play center field. This is me leaning heavily on my eyeball look; Bigbie’s underlying Statcast-style data is so strong that I’m sure some teams value him as a prospect solely for that."

C

"Can't play center field" what the hell?

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is that their way of saying not enough power to play in a corner?  I don’t know what Bigbie will become, but feel pretty good if we have 31 prospects who are better.

NO ONE ever thought he could play center field.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 3:09 PM, Longgone said:

NO ONE ever thought he could play center field.

Yeah - his logs don't show any career games anywhere other than 1B, RF, LF.

Was also curious why he would project Meadows as a platoon OF when so far he is showing no platoon split against LHP over the last year at all. Not a huge sample yet but enough that one would maybe wait and see instead of just assuming conventional wisdom that  lefties can't hit lefties. He might not hit enough period, but L/R isn't an apparent issue.

Edited by gehringer_2