Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Posted (edited)

Don’t think it will happen, but would be nice to see Jobe pitch in the bigs this year.  Would probably take multiple injuries for that to happen. With his time off, he shouldn’t be on any innings limit.

Edited by Tenacious D

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Don’t think it will happen, but would be nice to see Jobe pitch in the bigs this year.  Would probably take multiple injuries for that to happen. With his time off, he should be on any innings limit.

His personal goal at the start of the season was to make it to the Majors this year. I could see a September call up.

• Like 1

With McGonigle, Franyerber and Osorio ...we have some SS prospects in the low minors...I would anticipate McGonigle and maybe Franyerber moving up a level in the 2nd half.  Hope to see Osorio stateside next year.

• Like 2

So with Dillon Dingler starting to look MLB ready, what will the Tigers do at C? Kelly will be a free agent, but has performed better than Jake - who is cheap and controlled for a couple more seasons. If they don't bring Dingler up this season for a try out, he will still be a big unknown to count on next season - so I wouldn't be real excited about letting Kelly walk and going to '25 with Rogers and Dingler, but I also doubt they will pay Kelly and move Jake.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Move him.

I'd much rather sign him. You can't go into next season assuming Dingler will do anything against MLB pitching and Kelly has just outright passed Jake as the better player. It's been years since we've had a catcher who approached being a two-way player and Kelly is rounding into the that guy. 

If you are ever actually going to improve you have to pivot to retaining talent. There is never any time like the present.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd much rather sign him. You can't go into next season assuming Dingler will do anything against MLB pitching and Kelly has just outright passed Jake as the better player. It's been years since we've had a catcher who approached being a two-way player and Kelly is rounding into the that guy. 

I wouldn't be opposed to signing him but if you don't do it before the deadline, you risk losing him.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you are ever actually going to improve you have to pivot to retaining talent. There is never any time like the present.

And I would think Kelly would be predisposed to signing with the Tigers since we have "nurtured" his renaissance and Hinch being a catcher if the $$ is right. Not sure what he brings back as a rental at the deadline so an extension wouldn't surprise me. 

Posted (edited)

I would view Flaherty and Kelly on the same basis:

My first preference would be an extension prior to the trade deadline. Flaherty 2-3 years... if he's  agreeable and the two sides can come to an agreement. Same with Kelly. I wasn't thinking about him so much because we have Rogers and Dingler-on-the-cusp.... But to G2's point: He's definitely better than Rogers. So... if we did sign him to, say a 2-year extension, then I would let Spring Training decide things. Meaning... an injury decides things for the team (who makes the opening roster). No injury, and let's say Dingler proves, at least in spring training, that he's ready for MLB... then maybe the team makes a spring training trade of Rogers, or even if Dingler starts in AAA again but shows that he's ready for the jump, an early-season trade of Rogers... to open the door up for Dingler. I think Rogers will have trade value. But my straight-up preference for 2025 catchers would be Kelly and Dingler. So if that happens next year... then whatever Harris gets for Rogers next year is fine by me. And if Rogers is able to hold off Dingler all of next year, sobeit. But it will take all of the above to actually happen (not the Flaherty part...).

Nothing has to be decided, today. Let that hash out next year.

EXCEPT...

Whoever has NOT signed an extension by the trade deadline, is an exposure to being lost at the end of the season for nothing. And is probably - actually, most definitely - worth much more at the trade deadline. So those two are going to be traded at the deadline, IMO...

UNLESS they are signed to an extension prior to.

I would not be opposed to extending either one, or both of them.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would view Flaherty and Kelly on the same basis:

My first preference would be an extension prior to the trade deadline. Flaherty 2-3 years... if he's  agreeable and the two sides can come to an agreement. Same with Kelly. I wasn't thinking about him so much because we have Rogers and Dingler-on-the-cusp.... But to G2's point: He's definitely better than Rogers. So... if we did sign him to, say a 2-year extension, then I would let Spring Training decide things. Meaning... an injury decides things for the team (who makes the opening roster). No injury, and let's say Dingler proves, at least in spring training, that he's ready for MLB... then maybe the team makes a spring training trade of Rogers, or even if Dingler starts in AAA again but shows that he's ready for the jump, an early-season trade of Rogers... to open the door up for Dingler. I think Rogers will have trade value. But my straight-up preference for 2025 catchers would be Kelly and Dingler. So if that happens next year... then whatever Harris gets for Rogers next year is fine by me. And if Rogers is able to hold off Dingler all of next year, sobeit. But it will take all of the above to actually happen (not the Flaherty part...).

Nothing has to be decided, today. Let that hash out next year.

EXCEPT...

Whoever has NOT signed an extension by the trade deadline, is an exposure to being lost at the end of the season for nothing. And is probably - actually, most definitely - worth much more at the trade deadline. So those two are going to be traded at the deadline, IMO...

UNLESS they are signed to an extension prior to.

I would not be opposed to extending either one, or both of them.

Agreed. I would be for signing both/either as well (ex 2 years). The players should know what they are seeking and understand the market now. IMHO, the days of signing SPs to 4-5 year deals are 'mostly' over (there will be a few exceptions) especially if there is a history of injuries.

We may have to do a prospect for prospect type deal really at some point. We have several second basemen (Jung, Kieth, Lee) and many pundits feel eventually McGonigle will end up there. Find out who could use someone like Jung... We could use maybe a more true 3B perhaps? someone who is blocked ex BBatty of NYM or MVargas of LAD, etc.. What do those teams need and maybe see if something can be done. Maybe 1-2 of our prospects and someone from our current team if that team is competing this year. The Tiger FO needs to get 'creative'.

Kelly is having a nice season and all, but his resume suggests this might be a bit of a mirage.  If they can trade him for some prospect of reasonable value, by all means do it.  A catching tandem of Rogers and Dingler isn’t what will hold them back next season.

I dispute that his resume suggests this is a mirage. He did have hand/wrist issues the past couple years that hampered his hitting, but he was an above average MLB hitter 2019-2021. He's only moderately exceeding his PECOTA/ZIPS/etc. projections.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I dispute that his resume suggests this is a mirage. He did have hand/wrist issues the past couple years that hampered his hitting, but he was an above average MLB hitter 2019-2021. He's only moderately exceeding his PECOTA/ZIPS/etc. projections.

He’s got a hard hit % well above career average which is probably boosting his BABIP and HR%.  Is that sustainable?

The hand/wrist issue is a reasonable call out.  I don’t know how much that would hamper the numbers.

Edited by casimir

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, casimir said:

He’s got a hard hit % well above career average which is probably boosting his BABIP and HR%.  Is that sustainable?

The hand/wrist issue is a reasonable call out.  I don’t know how much that would hamper the numbers.

His HR rate is right in line with his rate from 2019-2021 and his BABIP is less than .015 higher than it was in 19 and 21. So yeah, both his current HR rate and BABIP are reasonably sustainable.

Edited by TigerNation