Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Some kid named Mays struggled in his debut.

After the homer, Mays went on a 0-for-13 slide, leaving him hitting .038 (1-for-26). At this point, in an often-told story, Willie sat in front of his locker, crying, after taking the collar again. Coaches Freddie Fitzsimmons and Herman Franks sent for Durocher. Mays again said he couldn’t hit big-league pitching. Durocher replied, “As long as I’m the manager of the Giants, you are my center fielder. … You are the best center fielder I’ve ever looked at.”24 Then he told Mays to hitch up his pants more to give himself a more favorable strike zone. Willie then went on a 14-for-33 tear.

At least in the short term, I don't think they're gonna do it because, in essence, it's waving the white flag on the season. It's easy as a fan base to see the writing on the wall but, as bad as their start has been, I take AJ at his word when he talks about getting back into this thing.

Now if they spend the next few weeks continuing to suck wind with the bats and fall further behind, I could see it. But I imagine they at least give it the month to figure out if they can get it (and along with it, Tork) turned around.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

But, IIRC he is also the 1st position player in the 1st 20 picks of his draft to have been promoted to the majors, they Tigers might be a little ahead of themselves with him.

Yeah, I am not worried about him.  He was kind of rushed, so it's not surprising that he is struggling.  Plus, he tends to have an adjustment period at each level.  

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and a steal today.

Bring him and Clemens up, send Tork down (not as a punishment, but so he can just breathe a bit) and release Schoop.  

Enough already.  Don't care about his turnaround last year, he's a black hole and I'd rather have both Castros on the team than him.  At least Willi is getting on base.   Yep, we'd probably be stuck with Kody Clemens at first.  Oh well  - this is what happens when you construct a shitty roster. 

I don't know how much longer I'd stick with Haase if he keeps throwing the ball everywhere but his intended target and striking out.   Garneau or Lavarnway would probably be more valuable to this team.    

Maybe a trade can be worked out for someone who can hit the damn ball, but I really don't trust Al to make that trade.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know how much longer I'd stick with Haase if he keeps throwing the ball everywhere but his intended target

In his last game he made 3 throws to 2nd that I saw. Two were more than 5 ft off the bag. The third was excellent but futile as the pitcher hadn't held the runner at all so he might as well have held the ball. Maybe knowing the out was impossible he relaxed enough to actually make the good throw.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In his last game he made 3 throws to 2nd that I saw. Two were more than 5 ft off the bag. The third was excellent but futile as the pitcher hadn't held the runner at all so he might as well have held the ball. Maybe knowing the out was impossible he relaxed enough to actually make the good throw.

It's crazy how much his stock has fallen. Game 1 seems like a long time ago.