Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

the thing with Kody is that sure, he probably has a low/utility IF ceiling, but he is 25, your MLB offense and utility defense in the toilet, why and the heck would you not bring him up and see if he can generate a little spark, even if it's only for the 20-30 AB it takes for teams to scout him thoroughly. While it may or may not be true that riding slumping players will get them back as quickly as sitting them, you can't just let a whole team wallow in it's lethargy and ineptitude, go grab some energy from anybody anywhere, and a called up player is usually going to show up with some energy.\

The other factor here the psychological one. These guys are pressing and one reason they press is that they don't want to be benched. Once the inevitable worst cast happens and they are competing for PT, you have taken that fear off the table and they can just go out and compete to get their job back.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the thing with Kody is that sure, he probably has a low/utility IF ceiling, but he is 25, your MLB offense and utility defense in the toilet, why and the heck would you not bring him up and see if he can generate a little spark, even if it's only for the 20-30 AB it takes for teams to scout him thoroughly. While it may or may not be true that riding slumping players will get them back as quickly as sitting them, you can't just let a whole team wallow in it's lethargy and ineptitude, go grab some energy from anybody anywhere, and a called up player is usually going to show up with some energy.

Willi’s bat is heating up a bit, but would we send down Harold to make room?

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Willi still doesn't have a position once Reyes is back, unless they are going to start sitting Grossman or Meadows, and then you have him a corner again. At least the other day they wised up and put him in center. The thing with CF is you have a lot more ground to cover so you should be fast (faster than Willi) but it's fundamentally easier to play than a corner technique wise. You see the ball of the bat better, you have fewer plays at the wall, no corners and balls to CF tail less.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

They are carrying 14 pitchers right now, they need to cut back to 13 by the end of the month.

IDK why they need Foley, who was just brought up.

Edited by mtutiger

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Don't worry, our developmental team has at least two years to fuck him up. 

I have to keep repeating it, but they hired a bunch of new people in player development (out of successful orgs) and removed a lot of guys between last offseason and this one.

No guarantees that things will be different, per se, but the composition of player development is different than it was in the past.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Getting all pedantic, but you can't DFA a player on the injured list.

I am curious how the Tigers spin this if he keeps struggling on his rehab.

I was being sarcastic with my comment, they shouldn't DFA him even if that was an option.

My point was more that, while the bad rehab start plays into the already existing narrative about Mize, it's still just one rehab start. I doubt he would be the first MLer to struggle in a rehab outing.

If it carries over into the next couple of rehab starts, where his velo is down and he's missing up with the fastball, there will be more reason to worry.

Edited by mtutiger

Toledo is losing 4-0.  Baddoo, Reyes and Cameron are all on the bench while Robson, Jack Lopez and Rosa are in the outfield.  Robson and Lopez have had their cups of coffee already and Rosa will never get one, so I'd rather not see them playing ahead of guys who might still contribute.

Big step for Flores.  He's probably the minor leaguer I am currently most excited about.  Not sure that he can make it to the big leagues this year but it seems like he gives us the best chance to have a highly rated prospect next offseason, assuming Greene has graduated from that list.