Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 5/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, mtutiger said:

More Wenceel Perez action...

Time to push him and move him up.  There are few things that have gone right for this organization this year but he is one of them.  But need to see it at the next level before getting more excited.  

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

He may be org depth, but one heck of a game!

The Tigers have the market cornered on organization depth outfielders.  Cameron, Baddoo, Castro, Haase, Reyes...probably a few more I am missing.  

56 minutes ago, Hart said:

The Tigers have the market cornered on organization depth outfielders.  Cameron, Baddoo, Castro, Haase, Reyes...probably a few more I am missing.  

were definitely winning the AAAA championship this year.

1 hour ago, Hart said:

Time to push him and move him up.  There are few things that have gone right for this organization this year but he is one of them.  But need to see it at the next level before getting more excited.  

I wonder how much of the turnaround relates to org restructuring or just more coming of age... he's still relatively young, despite being in A/A+ for the past few years

Henning:

Jackson Jobe on display today at Marchant Stadium, all 19 years of him, starting for Single A Lakeland against the hated Jupiter Hammerheads ... Jobe's first inning: 9 pitches, two Ks, sawed-off ground-out, fastball 94-96, slider bedeviling.

18 minutes ago, kdog said:

Henning:

Jackson Jobe on display today at Marchant Stadium, all 19 years of him, starting for Single A Lakeland against the hated Jupiter Hammerheads ... Jobe's first inning: 9 pitches, two Ks, sawed-off ground-out, fastball 94-96, slider bedeviling.

LOL, his 2nd inning was a little more adventurous. K, single, threw away a pick-off, walk, WP'd the runners to 2 & 3, K and GO to get out of it.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL, his 2nd inning was a little more adventurous. K, single, threw away a pick-off, walk, WP'd the runners to 2 & 3, K and GO to get out of it.

Jobe with a clean 3rd but a got dinged by a 2B and HR in the 4th. Was done at the end of the 4th with the 2 runs allowed

WM wins a pitcher's dual 1-0 behind Dylan Smith's 5 ip 3H 0R 0BB 4K. Keith did not play.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yep, he'll be in a slump when that happens lol

I really don't see why he's not up. Well, I do, it's Harold Castro. But Kody might give you a bit of pop that Harold doesn't. I think Kody has one less HR this season than Harold has for his career.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Some promising individual performances in the minors so far—Clemens,Wenceel, Sequeira, Keith, Pacheco, Carpenter, Wilmer, Dylan Smith, Madden, and even Jobe has been good for a young guy that the Tigers seem to be bringing along slowly.

Lipcius as well... he really came on this week against New Hampshire 

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Some promising individual performances in the minors so far—Clemens,Wenceel, Sequeira, Keith, Pacheco, Carpenter, Wilmer, Dylan Smith, Madden, and even Jobe has been good for a young guy that the Tigers seem to be bringing along slowly.

I thought we might have one top 100 prospect once Tork and Greene graduated.  Now, depending on how the season plays out, I think it is likely we do better that.  I would say Wilmer is more likely than not to end up top 100, possibly even top 50.  And then there are a number of guys with a chance to sneak in there.  Wenceel, in particular, could shoot up prospect lists if he gets moved up a level and continues his strong season at AA. 

It would be nice if Dingler could get it going considering he is generally considered one of our higher upside prospects.  

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Lipcius as well... he really came on this week against New Hampshire 

Good call.  Definitely a guy worth monitoring closer now.  I also think you can make a case that strong obp guys are becoming more valuable with home runs down.  

On Carpenter:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/05/22/detroit-tigers-farm-kerry-carpenter-erie-seawolves/9883955002/

“I think he’s a big-league hitter,” Gabe Alvarez said Saturday, a day after Carpenter had socked a pair of home runs in a whipping of New Hampshire. “The numbers are real.”

This caught my attention, mostly because he doesn't show up on lists anywhere.

We've seen this before with Brieske where a guy comes out of nowhere to get on folks radar, but it still easy to be skeptical. In the case of Carpenter, the strikeout rate is a little concerning.