Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

41 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Carpenter actually homered twice and singled

May slash 438/483/937/1.420

so late round 2019 pick as JR out of VaTech. Had a huge rookie league launch with +1000 OPS in 160 AB . Jumped to AA last year and was not terrible - 750 OPS, 25% K rate. Back to AA for '22. Had a 740 OPS at the end of April, then lit the afterburners: > 1400 OPS for May! K rate holding at ~25%. And he is hitting LHP as a LHB - in limited ABs.

I would think you might as well be aggressive with all these COVID kids who have already lost a year.

I don't know if you swap Robson though, doesn't it look like at this point he is on board as a long term AAA guy? If you don't have room for him give him his release and let him catch on with another AAA team if he can.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so late round 2019 pick as JR out of VaTech. Had a huge rookie league launch with +1000 OPS in 160 AB . Jumped to AA last year and was not terrible - 750 OPS, 25% K rate. Back to AA for '22. Had a 740 OPS at the end of April, then lit the afterburners: > 1400 OPS for May! K rate holding at ~25%. And he is hitting LHP as a LHB - in limited ABs.

I would think you might as well be aggressive with all these COVID kids who have already lost a year.

I don't know if you swap Robson though, doesn't it look like at this point he is on board as a long term AAA guy? If you don't have room for him give him his release and let him catch on with another AAA team if he can.

Even setting aside Carpenter, who probably needs to move up a level, you still have Victor Reyes and Akil Baddoo, on top of Hill/Cameron who are still in the bigs, who will eventually get healthy and need spots to play. Whoever isn't on the 26 man roster in that competition will need playing time. Not to mention the org seems interested in giving Clemens/Davis reps in the outfield as well.

Folks like Robson or Dylan Rosa, seems like they may be living on borrowed time, granted injuries have a way of taking care of these personnel things and ensuring guys have spots.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Riley Greene with two singles, 2RBI, in 3 at-bats at Lakeland. Guessing they need to see him be able to play 4-5 days in a row down there(without pain) before moving him up a level or two.

Someone had previously reported the plan was two in Fla and then he’d be moving, but things are always subject to change I suppose. 

23 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kriedler currently a double for 4 in Toledo and Greene is 0-2 in Lakeland. Interesting that he is playing RF while Campos is playing CF. 

Playing RF seems less strenuous than CF.  Just another measure to bring him back to baseball speed gradually?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Someone had previously reported the plan was two in Fla and then he’d be moving, but things are always subject to change I suppose. 

I assume he'll be moved up Tuesday. May or may not play tomorrow before the off day.

Edited by TigerNation

11 hours ago, kdog said:

Riley Greene with two singles, 2RBI, in 3 at-bats at Lakeland. Guessing they need to see him be able to play 4-5 days in a row down there(without pain) before moving him up a level or two.

I thought I had read previously that he's scheduled to travel to Toledo today and be on the roster there starting tmrw.

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

That's a nice swing...kinda reminds me of Champ Summers

Champ Summers!  Perfect baseball name and came out of nowhere to be an outstanding platoon player for a couple of seasons.  Who didn't love the Summers/Wockenfuss platoon?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Babe Carpenter with another bomb. I'm almost positive he has more HRs this month than the big club has combined but I wonder how close he is to out homering the rest of the system this month by himself? 

Carpenter may be org depth, but he probably needs to be in Toledo at this point. Not sure what he needs to prove in AA

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Carpenter may be org depth, but he probably needs to be in Toledo at this point. Not sure what he needs to prove in AA

Christin Stewart was on pace for 40 HR's at Erie a few years back, and people were wondering what the Eastern League record was.  It was in the low 40's I think but I do remember the owner:  Rick Lancelotti, who was a 4A guy a long time ago.  His name has sort of a Jim Adduci vibe to it, as well as that whole Lancelot thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Since this is an expected transition year...

I'd have no problem, if they are deemed ready (I don't think Carpenter is), giving guys a shot in MLB at the expense of a Vet or two who will not be a part of our future...

I'm looking at you Grossman and Schoop (I know he's been hitting some the last week or two... but he's still not a part of our future IMO)...

Give Clemens a chance just to see if on the off chance he can be part of our future.

I know Schoop is only 30 but... Just call me the Hatchet Man. And let him go....

Be careful what you wish for with Schoop.  I wouldn't be so quick to drop the best defensive 2B statistically so far this year.  With a young developing staff, you want to have strong defense up the middle.  And it's not like we can be confident that the replacement will hit any better. 

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Be careful what you wish for with Schoop.  I wouldn't be so quick to drop the best defensive 2B statistically so far this year.  With a young developing staff, you want to have strong defense up the middle.  And it's not like we can be confident that the replacement will hit any better. 

He's arguably been the best hitter in the infield over the past two weeks as well (including Candy, fwiw) and also was the one who put them in position to win on Friday with the leadoff double.

Gotta keep him out there. And if he performs, trade him for a lefty reliever with control issues. 🙂