Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Sometimes when a guy is exceeding expectations you have to reward him.  Marcus Thames is an example, he destroyed AAA several years in a row but other than one season (during which he excelled) he was never given the opportunity to have a full time job with the Tigers.  Whatever groove Carpenter is in right now, see if he can hold it together at Toledo.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sometimes when a guy is exceeding expectations you have to reward him.  Marcus Thames is an example, he destroyed AAA several years in a row but other than one season (during which he excelled) he was never given the opportunity to have a full time job with the Tigers.  Whatever groove Carpenter is in right now, see if he can hold it together at Toledo.

Toledo is a no-brainer.  Robson is getting steady AB’s.  Time to flip those two.

I know very little about Carpenter but based off his draft position and how he was ranked by the pundits Im fairly certain that he is just a flash in the pan, I mean guys with that type of profile rarely end up breaking out and being legit but rarely isn't never, it does happen from time to time and maybe we will actually get lucky and he will be one of them. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know very little about Carpenter but based off his draft position and how he was ranked by the pundits Im fairly certain that he is just a flash in the pan, I mean guys with that type of profile rarely end up breaking out and being legit but rarely isn't never, it does happen from time to time and maybe we will actually get lucky and he will be one of them. 

With regard to the pundits, it's worth remembering that 365 days ago, Beau Brieske wasn't ranked. I believe he showed up on Pipeline when they did a midyear rank.

It's not even that the pundits got Brieske wrong from the beginning per se, but the lists are only updated a few times per year and a lot of guys can move up or down whenever a rerank is done.

Not saying that will happen in Carpenter's case, but rather that the next lists that get published could say a lot about where the pundits fall.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

With regard to the pundits, it's worth remembering that 365 days ago, Beau Brieske wasn't ranked. I believe he showed up on Pipeline when they did a midyear rank.

It's not even that the pundits got Brieske wrong from the beginning per se, but the lists are only updated a few times per year and a lot of guys can move up or down whenever a rerank is done.

Not saying that will happen in Carpenter's case, but rather that the next lists that get published could say a lot about where the pundits fall.

I just want to know, what does Keith Law think?  We need those WWJD bracelets, but with WDKLT.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Flores threw 3 shutout innings today with 3ks. Not sure why he only threw 3 innings considering his count was only at 41 but scouring twitter I see nothing about an injury so hopefully they just are monitoring his innings right now or something. 

Might be because if it might be because he's set to start twice this week, so a shorter rest than normal before his next start.

WM wins a blowout - 8-0

Colt Keith: 2 BB

Wenceel Perez: 3/4, HR(9), BB.  Wenceel's OPS at 894 over over 169 AB this season. Not bad for a middle IF. I would think he should be moved up pretty soon. I know they are high on Workman at Erie despite him not doing much with the bat, but Wenceel can play 2b so there should be AB to go around. 

Seems like Wenceel has been around forever but he's still the same age as Workman.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

WM wins a blowout - 8-0

Wenceel Perez: 3/4, HR(9), BB.  Wenceel's OPS at 894 over over 169 AB this season. Not bad for a middle IF. I would think he should be moved up pretty soon. I know they are high on Workman at Erie despite him not doing much with the bat, but Wenceel can play 2b so there should be AB to go around. 

Seems like Wenceel has been around forever but he's still the same age as Workman.

Give him Carpenter's uniform

So it is curious or not that Franklin Perez remains in some kind of limbo? He was throwing bullpens successfully in April, throwing batting practice to Kreidler in May, but remains on the IL with no rehab assignment. Are they waiting to send him to the FLA complex league when it starts?

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

WM wins a blowout - 8-0

Folks, I’m gonna need a ruling on Wenceel.  Only 22, so he’s not old for High A, and on pace for a 20-20 season.  Legit?

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Folks, I’m gonna need a ruling on Wenceel.  Only 22, so he’s not old for High A, and on pace for a 20-20 season.  Legit?

With prospects, of course, tools are important, but often the overriding factor in progressing to the bigs is the ability to make adjustments, to make corrections when a weakness is exposed, and fact is, you don't know who that is going to be ahead of time. Some have that tenaciousness and aptitude and many don't. Some players with meager ability will make it because they have that ability, and many tooled up prospects will fail because they don't.

15 minutes ago, Longgone said:

With prospects, of course, tools are important, but often the overriding factor in progressing to the bigs is the ability to make adjustments, to make corrections when a weakness is exposed, and fact is, you don't know who that is going to be ahead of time. Some have that tenaciousness and aptitude and many don't. Some players with meager ability will make it because they have that ability, and many tooled up prospects will fail because they don't.

Wenceel has been in West Michigan for a while and he is definitely bigger than he was a few years ago. Before this year he was rail thin and didn't have the strength to drive the ball. This year with the added muscle he is a much different hitter. He looks to be just as quick as well. We have seen guys develop power after seemingly stagnating in the minors before.

I think he is legit now and will be bumped up to AA ball soon.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Good bat to ball for a while now, he's improving in other areas. Tigers new development staff is looking good.