Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not much of note tonight offensively from what I can gather but Ty Madden pitched a gem for WM going 6 innings of 3 hit baseball with 7Ks and no walks. Only run was on a solo shot. 

Yeah  - good outing for Madden. I was waiting to see if Keith and Perez hit tonight - they did, and Perez with a walk. Erie will need some guys hitting once they move Carpenter

Tigers

DET.svg

Baddoo (oblique) will start a rehab assignment with High-A West Michigan soon, Chris McCosky of The Detroit News reports.

The Triple-A Toledo outfield is pretty crowded, so Baddoo will rehab with a different Tigers affiliate. Once healthy, he could earn a call-up later this summer.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/tigers-akil-baddoo-nearing-rehab-assignment/

' Akil Baddoo: Nearing rehab assignmentNearing rehab assignment

What's the word on Austin Bergner? Like could he be a legit prospect now? Hes currently in Erie pitching to a 2.50 ERA and sub 1 whip with a k an inning. 

He's 25 so he's a little old but he was drafted in 2019 so this is only his 3rd pro season.

Only thing I could really gather on himafter a quick google search is that he was one of the highest ranked pitchers coming out of high school and as of the freep article from Feb he has a 93-95mph fb that can touch 98. Not sure if it has ticked up this year or what his other stuff is like. 

Keith and Carpenter with HR tonight. That's 20 for Carpenter, 9 for Keith. 

It's Henning, so big grains of salt, but he reports that the Tigers don't have any confidence Carpenter's bat plays at a higher level. Maybe Mike Hessman's record will be at risk sooner than we might have thought.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's Henning, so big grains of salt, but he reports that the Tigers don't have any confidence Carpenter's bat plays at a higher level. Maybe Mike Hessman's record will be at risk sooner than we might have thought.

Micro didn't sound very confident about Carpenter.  

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is currently a logjam at Toledo, but it doesn't appear he is gaining much by staying at Erie.  It will be interesting to see what happens with the organization likely wanting Meadows, Greene, Grossman, Cameron, Hill, Baddoo, and Reyes all either in Detroit or getting consistent AB's in Toledo.  Not to mention their seeming obsession with Willi playing OF as well as Clemens getting OF time.  It definitely appears that minor trades/cuts would need to be made in order to keep guys getting the playing time needed.  

25 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

but it doesn't appear he is gaining much by staying at Erie.

this bit was interesting from Henning's article. This is Henning quoting Ryan Garko,

“But I would say the jump from Triple A to the big leagues is now bigger than it’s ever been — by 50 million miles.”

The reason,  Garko explained, is that Triple A has been thinned by the MLB-wide push to get younger players to the big leagues. More youth at Triple A, and less veteran guile, are trends that don’t enable players to buff and polish their games as once was the case when there were Triple A graybeards galore.

35 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

There is currently a logjam at Toledo

I also have to think Hill and Cameron are likely to end up back in Toledo in favor of Baddoo and Greene. Or one will stay in Det if Baddoo doesn't come around. Two weeks ago I would have said W. Castro would be sent back down also, but to my admitted surprise is he is beginning to hit a little left handed and that might be enough for them to keep both he and Harold and send down a relief pitcher. Reyes may end up odd man out - or he and Willi a toss up for the last SH option.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Hill and Cameron are likely to end up back in Toledo in favor of Baddoo and Greene. Or one will stay in Det if Baddoo doesn't come around. Two weeks ago I would have said W. Castro would be sent back down also, but to my admitted surprise is he is beginning to hit a little left handed and that might be enough for them to keep both he and Harold and send down a relief pitcher.

I’d actually be shocked if we see Baddoo back in Detroit this year.  He was a great story—we’ll always have fond memories of 2021.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

MLB OF: Grossman, Meadows, Greene and Reyes

Toledo: Baddoo, Cameron, Hill and Robson

Carpenter’s very high K rate looks like it will be a problem for him as he moves up another level, though I’d still be OK with he and the Maple Hammer changing teams.

I think the organization still wants Willi and Clemens to either be on the bench in Detroit or get consistent work in Toledo as well including in the OF (Willi seems like it may be permanent).  It would be nice if Grossman hits enough to be moved or they could do a minor deal with one of the extra guys.  I tend to think Robson may be in jeopardy of being released or at least relegated to 6th OF in Toledo.  It's kinda sad since he was the one that talked to Carpenter about changing his swing and referred him to his coach.

Odds are Carpenter doesn't materialize, but stranger things have happened -  see JD Martinez, Jose Bautista, Chris Taylor - and when a guy is doing what he is after an adjustment, you would like to see him have every chance to show something is truly different.

57 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Carpenter’s very high K rate looks like it will be a problem for him as he moves up another level, though I’d still be OK with he and the Maple Hammer changing teams.

As much as Willi has done a few nice things with the bat in the past couple of games, I'm not sure how you can justify keeping him over Cameron if he's only playing outfield... they'll have to at least start using him as an infielder again.

Edited by mtutiger

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I also have to think Hill and Cameron are likely to end up back in Toledo in favor of Baddoo and Greene. Or one will stay in Det if Baddoo doesn't come around. Two weeks ago I would have said W. Castro would be sent back down also, but to my admitted surprise is he is beginning to hit a little left handed and that might be enough for them to keep both he and Harold and send down a relief pitcher. Reyes may end up odd man out - or he and Willi a toss up for the last SH option.

Baddoo is gonna be in Toledo for a little while, one imagines.

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

... Odds are Carpenter doesn't materialize, but stranger things have happened -  see JD Martinez, Jose Bautista, Chris Taylor - and when a guy is doing what he is after an adjustment, you would like to see him have every chance to show something is truly different.

Tenacious D Projection:

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As much as Willi has done a few nice things with the bat in the past couple of games, I'm not sure how you can justify keeping him over Cameron if he's only playing outfield... they'll have to at least start using him as an infielder again.

This makes me want to:

1) Promote Carpenter to Toledo

2) Drop Willi to Erie and let him play OF/ IF down there, every day.

3) Keep one of Daz or Hill with Detroit.

4) Dropping the other guy down to Toledo to pair up with Baddoo and Carpenter.

Just my 2 cents.