Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Funny, watching the games i get the feeling that Willi is on an upward track, but the hard numbers say that his last 50 AB he OPS'd 599, which is actually a drop from his previous ~60 AB at ~680. So he's actually tailing off. I guess when no one is hitting anything looks like something.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d actually be shocked if we see Baddoo back in Detroit this year.  He was a great story—we’ll always have fond memories of 2021.

well maybe. Baddoo put up a 750 OPS and his K rate stayed under 25% the last month of last season when everyone had scouting on him and he had played a longer season than the ever had before. I put a lot of stock in how rookies finish a season. A lot of guys that hit with a bang and run up big numbers early often tail badly, and even if they finish with decent stats for a season, have weak 2nd halves as they are eventually exposed by MLB pitching. But Akil held up pretty well. So despite his lack of a standard dose of minor league seasoning I won't be surprised if he hits his way back to the majors quickly. Granted it's been a bad start though!

W. Castro, Hill , Clemens and Cameron are not major league players and should all be demoted. Victor Reyes , once healed, should play every day for at least 200 abs so we know what he really can do for 2023. Badoo needs to improve his outfield routes in AAA. Grossman is a free agent and most likely will not be resigned nor have any trade value come August 2 so he does not need to play everyday. Reyes- Greene- Meadows should get the bulk of the time in Detroit for this year for best results now and planning for 2023. It's simple to me but Al still grips on the guys he traded for hoping to find the Leprechaun's gold. Time to move on.

Edited by SoCalTiger

Josh and Gibby's interactions were always the butt of jokes with my friends and I. Like they always just came up with random conversations out of nowhere.

Josh: Fick with an rbi double to bring the Tigers within 1

Gibby: "So did you see SNL on Saturday Josh"

*ten minute discussion about snl ensues.*

Edit: nvm this, supposed to be in the GameDay thread. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Willi's OPS and average are higher than the following players who are purportedly mlb caliber:

Candelario

Baez

Schoop

Grossman

Barnhart

Haase

That's the only reason he is playing. It also doesn't mean he's good.

But we are two months in and everyone else still hasn't heated up or gotten near career norms.

Edited by kdog

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

W. Castro, Hill, Clemens and Cameron are not major league players...

Yeah... I think I'm going to disagree with this. I think they are, what is commonly known as...

Rookies. Or still close enough to it that they are trying to find their way in MLB. 

If you're saying they're not MLB starters, today... I might agree with that. But I think they deserve reps to find out. And they haven't had enough to say one way or another, IMO. 

But they do appear to have MLB-level skills.

... Victor Reyes , once healed, should play every day for at least 200 abs so we know what he really can do for 2023. 

And this is who you're going to bring up? Reyes? 

What is he going to show us that he hasn't already for the past 5 years?

Somehow he is more deserving than Hill or Cameron? Agree to disagree on this one... I don't need to see anything more from him. I'd rather see Hill or Cameron squarely planted in CF to see if one or the other just might pop. Because Reyes... ain't.

Baddoo needs to improve his outfield routes in AAA. Grossman is a free agent and most likely will not be resigned nor have any trade value come August 2 so he does not need to play everyday... It's simple to me but Al still grips on the guys he traded for hoping to find the Leprechaun's gold. Time to move on.

These two I am on board with.

But it's also simple to me, and Reyes is not a part of the future except as a 5th OF'er at best. Nothing more. I could care less whether he gets any additional PA's this year.

In fact, I'd rather see them move on from Reyes. And see more of Baddoo. And have Hill or Cameron play platoon with Baddoo, play D and pinch runner, get starts in CF... etc.

Just my preference.

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah... I think I'm going to disagree with this. I think they are, what is commonly known as...

Rookies. Or still close enough to it that they are trying to find their way in MLB. 

If you're saying they're not MLB starters, today... I might agree with that. But I think they deserve reps to find out. And they haven't had enough to say one way or another, IMO. 

But they do appear to have MLB-level skills.

And this is who you're going to bring up? Reyes? 

What is he going to show us that he hasn't already for the past 5 years?

Somehow he is more deserving than Hill or Cameron? Agree to disagree on this one... I don't need to see anything more from him. I'd rather see Hill or Cameron squarely planted in CF to see if one or the other just might pop. Because Reyes... ain't.

These two I am on board with.

But it's also simple to me, and Reyes is not a part of the future except as a 5th OF'er at best. Nothing more. I could care less whether he gets any additional PA's this year.

In fact, I'd rather see them move on from Reyes. And see more of Baddoo. And have Hill or Cameron play platoon with Baddoo, play D and pinch runner, get starts in CF... etc.

Just my preference.

You may very well be correct as I am certainly no expert but I think Reyes has shown more power recently and deserves a look since they are all essentially battling for the fourth outfielder's job on a contending team. I guess time will tell. 

It's a small sample size, but in the grand scheme of things, Daz has actually been better than most of the Tigers at the plate since his call up and has made some pretty dynamic plays defensively (though his play in center today was not ideal).... they should find a way to keep him here.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If I’m not mistaken, Reyes is only a little over a year older than Hill.  As a Rule V pick he was rushed. I am not ready to move on from him (sorry TD).

Reyes is close to the ideal 4th OF. He can play all three positions and not be a liability, will give you a 700+ OPS (maybe a little more if does hit a few more long balls as he reaches peak strength years), runs the bases well (assuming the quad thing doesn't become some kind of chronic) and is a switch hitter, albeit one with a poor platoon split as a LHB. It's hard to argue with that profile on the bench. Anyone better is probably a starter.

Edited by gehringer_2

Reyes with HR so far, Baddoo with a walk. Randy Marsh posted in the "Season" thread that the real news from the game was ERod at 94-95 with 9K in 4IP.

EDIT: Toledo playing one of those 7 IP each DHs. Reyes' HR was the only run in the 1st game. 5 hits total between the two team. Reyes and Greene also each had a BB.

Second game just started.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 6/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Willi Castro is a major leaguer.   He's just not a starter, but if you have a guy who can put the ball in play and play 6-7 positions at least adequately, you're doing alright.    We just have too many of those guys and one or two might have to go. 

He’s more of a Shane Halter than a Tony Phillips?  Ok, I can kind of see that, maybe.  But the glove is just horrendous, it needs some refinement.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

It is crazy that he is still only 24 years old, of course that doesnt really change the fact that he is made of glass but just an overall observation on my part.

That is one, and by far the most likely of two possibilities. The other far less likely one is that he only had one thing wrong with him in the first place and it's just taken 4 years to get the diagnoses and fix right. Of course the Tigers have to hold out hope for the latter!