Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Yeah we don't need a scout to tell us whether Kerry Carpenter is actually somebody to get legit excited about, the fact that he hasn't got injured yet is all the confirmation I need to realize that he probably is destined to just be an organizational guy, if he was destined for more he'd already be hurt by now. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Keith is one of few bats that actually showed any promise in the entire system this season so naturally he gets hurt. 

Yeah when you see video of him he actually looks like a hitter, he looks so tall and balanced and his hands are in a controlled position for a short quick swing.  I hope he gets back quickly.

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yeah when you see video of him he actually looks like a hitter, he looks so tall and balanced and his hands are in a controlled position for a short quick swing.  I hope he gets back quickly.

Yeah IIRC he was pretty highly touted coming into that COVID shortened draft but dropped to us do to signability concerns. So even though he wasn't technically a 1st or even 2nd round pick he very well may have had the talent to be one which is another reason that makes me more of a believer in him. 

Interesting article on ESPN about top pitching prospect shutting it down before the draft to protect their arms.  It's insider only though. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34084142/how-one-pitching-prospect-change-mlb-draft-forever-not-pitching

My main takeaway from this is just anger at the Tiger's organization for using top 10 picks on pitching prospects three times since 2016.  

Edited by Hart

3 hours ago, Hart said:

Interesting article on ESPN about top pitching prospect shutting it down before the draft to protect their arms.  It's insider only though. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34084142/how-one-pitching-prospect-change-mlb-draft-forever-not-pitching

My main takeaway from this is just anger at the Tiger's organization for using top 10 picks on pitching prospects three times since 2016.  

The data they were discussing only applies to prep pitchers, so at least the Tigers have only spent two top 10 picks on them since 2016.

4 hours ago, Hart said:

can't you argue this either way?

pitchers are so susceptible to injury, it does not make sense to repeatedly spend FA dollars on pitchers, so the answer is to draft and develop as many arms as you can, hoping to find more Mizes and Faedos, rather than Burrows and Crawfords.

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

can't you argue this either way?

pitchers are so susceptible to injury, it does not make sense to repeatedly spend FA dollars on pitchers, so the answer is to draft and develop as many arms as you can, hoping to find more Mizes and Faedos, rather than Burrows and Crawfords.

that is my view. You basically draft guys in proportion to their numbers on the roster. So that's about 50% pitchers.

The dearth of elite college pitchers in this draft is going to work against the Tigers.  Not because they should take another, but because of serious arm injuries (some are TJ) to 3-4 guys who likely would have been top 15 picks, means that the 11 teams ahead of us will be drafting position players, some of which might have fallen to us.  Saw a few mocks where Brock Porter, a local pitcher from Orchard Lake St. Mary HS, will be the first pitcher drafted.  By whom you might ask?  According to the mocks, the Tigers will take him with their 12th pick.  I don’t think that will happen, but it’s just the Tiger’s luck that the best position players will likely be gone before they pick.

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d like to see Tork go down to Toledo.  Allow him to get back on track.  Put Schoop at 1B and give Clemens some more AB’s at 2B.

If Torkelson is sent to Toledo, I hope they leave Schoop at second base.  His defense at second base has been one of the few  bright spots.

• Thanks 1