Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Only 29 innings, but Jobe has had about a poor start to his minor league career (with the exception of a bad injury) as one could have thought for low A ball. Andrew Painter, a fellow RHP from HS in the same class and 8 months younger, dominated A ball and was already promoted to high A ball. Mayer and Lawlar, the two more realistic guys they could have taken at # 3, have also been as good as advertised so far. Still time to turn it around this season, though.

27 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

Only 29 innings, but Jobe has had about a poor start to his minor league career (with the exception of a bad injury) as one could have thought for low A ball. Andrew Painter, a fellow RHP from HS in the same class and 8 months younger, dominated A ball and was already promoted to high A ball. Mayer and Lawlar, the two more realistic guys they could have taken at # 3, have also been as good as advertised so far. Still time to turn it around this season, though.

"About as poor a start" might be a bit strong for less than a hit an inning and more than a K an inning. He is definitely walking too many. As noted - lots of time for command to develop.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

"About as poor a start" might be a bit strong for less than a hit an inning and more than a K an inning. He is definitely walking too many. As noted - lots of time for command to develop.

yes, but spin rate.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Agree.  I’m not worried about Jobe, nor second guessing the pick.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

Izaac Pacheco has a .793 OPS(30BB, 50K) with a .358 OBP at Lakeland. He is 19 years old. Is he the best position prospect in the system with Greene promoted?

Not sure how he would be ranked but to me I think it's between him and Keith. I think them 2 along with the 2 recent big international signings in Campos and Santana are probably the 4 position players in the system that have the best chance to take major leaps in the coming years. Maybe Dingler as well. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure how he would be ranked but to me I think it's between him and Keith. I think them 2 along with the 2 recent big international signings in Campos and Santana are probably the 4 position players in the system that have the best chance to take major leaps in the coming years. Maybe Dingler as well. 

I would say this.

Pacheco, Keith, Campos, Santana & Dingler.

But we'll need some more time to see who rises to the top...

Keith > Pacheco.  Pacheco’s swing and miss tendencies will likely become more of an issue as he moves up.  The only knock against Keith were concerns about how much power he’d have, which I think he’s addressed.

I’d rank the hitters this way:

1. Keith

2. Wenceel

3. Pacheco

4. Carpenter 

5. Campos

6. Dingler

7. Santana 

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Keith > Pacheco.  Pacheco’s swing and miss tendencies will likely become more of an issue as he moves up.  The only knock against Keith were concerns about how much power he’d have, which I think he’s addressed.

I’d rank the hitters this way:

1. Keith

2. Wenceel

3. Pacheco

4. Carpenter 

5. Campos

6. Dingler

7. Santana 

I know the big question for Pacheco was whether he'd be able to make enough contact for his power to play enough in game, but a K rate of 20.3% is certainly promising in that regard.

I’m not sure he’s received much attention here, but C Josh Crouch has hit very well in Lakeland.  Excellent K and BB rates and hitting for average. Not sure about his defense, but his offensive profile (so far) is the opposite of Rogers and Dingler.  Will be interesting to watch.  I suspect he’ll move up to Erie if/when Dingler goes up to Toledo.

Just now, buddha said:

i'm worried about jobe.  not because of a small sample size at A ball, but because he's a high school right handed starting pitcher.

I don’t get that concern.  Would he be healthier if he went to college for a few seasons and then drafted?  Instead, he has the benefit of better coaching and concern for his arm health.

If your concern is not health related, but lack of a track record pitching against college hitters, that I understand.

I just wouldn’t read too much into his performance so far.  Manning had some bumps along the way and was able to work through them, without the benefit of having Fetter in the org, which Jobe has.