Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

No Santana seems like a miss on this. I would put Santana over Campos. Other than that it's a fine list. Keith getting lots of love out there though. He was a 149 Wrc prior to getting hurt and at 20 years old so I get it but he should be in the top 3. 

Agree.  He’s been called out on Twitter for Santana’s omission.  Carpenter is interesting—is he the real deal or another Steven Moya?

20 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Santana OPS by month since May:

May: 711

June: 780

July: 859

For season 686 (shows you how awful his April was). How an 18-year-old playing at A ball (where he is the youngest position player in the league) with his profile is not listed on every Tigers top 10 prospect is mystifying. 

Every list I've seen by the Twitter Tiger prospect watcher class (ie. the Rogelio Castillo, Trevor Hooth types) seems to put him in the 12-13 range. Seems low to me as well

The Pipeline list (which I believe Sam Dykstra does for the Tigers) is a good baseline... they aren't perfect, other outlets may be better, but on top of likely having more info, they don't have "Blue and Orange" glasses when curating, meaning more objectivity. And they have Santana at 4...maybe that changes in their post draft rerank some, but I doubt he leaves Top 10.

I don't care if people do lists one way or another, it is all in good fun. But its important to put into context... BP or MLB Pipeline are likely going off more info and curate a list from a place of objectivity

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Of course.  Based on your response, you’re in no place to be critical.

Sure I am. I know from experience most of that crew is pretty clueless and actually detracts from the public discourse on Tigers prospects, and that list strays enough from the consensus without any particular reason behind it. It sucks.

Prospects lists off the top of one's head without a ton of in-person scouting time or reasonable and well-filtered discussions with scouts and front office personnel are a waste of time and largely meaningless.

By well-filtered, I mean being able to tell when you are being fed fluffy BS, which a lot of the current tigers twitter prospect person struggles with.

Edited by Edman85
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Sure I am. I know from experience most of that crew is pretty clueless and actually detracts from the public discourse on Tigers prospects, and that list strays enough from the consensus without any particular reason behind it. It sucks.

Prospects lists off the top of one's head without a ton of in-person scouting time or reasonable discussions with scouts and front office personnel are a waste of time and largely meaningless.

Great—looking forward to your list in a month or so when you’re able to do your due diligence.  I’ll remind you.

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy reading other individual’s content for debate and discussion purposes (which is why most of us come here in the first place).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

For season 686 (shows you how awful his April was). How an 18-year-old playing at A ball (where he is the youngest position player in the league) with his profile is not listed on every Tigers top 10 prospect is mystifying. 

A BB% of 15.2 is very encouraging. Not sure where he was on other lists, but fangraphs had him 5th in the pre season rankings, and I'd agree he's done nothing to really fall far off from that spot.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Wenceel Perez has had a nice rebound this year and has recovered some prospect status, but ranking him #10 is pretty red-flaggy as well.

I think that the case for Perez is that he is only a year older than Jung, is raking at Double A, and can actually play second base.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

I think that the case for Perez is that he is only a year older than Jung, is raking at Double A, and can actually play second base.

Wenceel just heard my comment, because he just went back to back homers with Quincy Neiporte in the Erie game lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

For season 686 (shows you how awful his April was).

That May figure is a little deceiving, too, as he only played 6 games during the month.  But the .521 out of the gate in April really set up a deep hole to climb out from.

A couple of performers from tonight:

Our 7th round pick from last year.  Like all or most of the pitchers drafted, he didn’t see any game action in 2021.  Assigned to High A, his numbers look excellent—he doesn’t get discussed much, but hopefully we have another Brieske on our hands.  And he’s a lefty.

087714C8-43C0-4022-8A95-17A20756F432.jpeg

Edited by Tenacious D

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

you guys off the dillon dingler bandwagon already?

I’m not, but I do think he’s flawed.  I actually see a lot of similarities with Jake Rogers (strong arm, solid defense, HR potential, high K rate).  Neither look like a sure thing, so nice to have options at C

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A couple of performers from tonight:

Our 7th round pick from last year.  Like all or most of the pitchers drafted, he didn’t see any game action in 2021.  Assigned to High A, his numbers look excellent—he doesn’t get discussed much, but hopefully we have another Brieske on our hands.  And he’s a lefty.

087714C8-43C0-4022-8A95-17A20756F432.jpeg

Love the numbers, but in an odd way they point out the disparity between hitting and pitching prospects in this org. 

He's been a AA talent pitching to A guys so far this year

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Love the numbers, but in an odd way they point out the disparity between hitting and pitching prospects in this org. 

He's been a AA talent pitching to A guys so far this year

Do you think he’s too old/advanced to be pitching in High A?  I didn’t, considering this was his first professional experience.  I guess we’ll see when he moves to Erie, either this season or next.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Do you think he’s too old/advanced to be pitching in High A?  I didn’t, considering this was his first professional experience.  I guess we’ll see when he moves to Erie, either this season or next.

Just my opinion (which may not be worth much), the assignments were right, but the results suggest he's more advanced.