Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He's been up and down this year (OPS by month prior to July):

April .815

May .572

June .891

And I thought he was in the low .600's in July... but he must have gotten hot the past week or so, so now he's up to G2's .806 OPS for July.

I had written him off. But he fixed his swing last off-season and apparently it's taking.... He's trying desperately to regain his prospect status so...

Yeah... he might make it to a Detroit stint before his brother gets back...

He and Carpenter both with pretty dramatic recent reductions in K rate also. SSS anomaly, or something in the water in Toledo? 

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He's been up and down this year (OPS by month prior to July):

April .815

May .572

June .891

And I thought he was in the low .600's in July... but he must have gotten hot the past week or so, so now he's up to G2's .806 OPS for July.

I had written him off. But he fixed his swing last off-season and apparently it's taking.... He's trying desperately to regain his prospect status so...

Yeah... he might make it to a Detroit stint before his brother gets back...

Should be noted that May was his bump up to from High A to AA. 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

He and Carpenter both with pretty dramatic recent reductions in K rate also. SSS anomaly, or something in the water in Toledo? 

Meadows is still in Erie?

He probably just struggled with the adjustment from High A to AA and has worked through it. Which is really an encouraging sign considering where he was a year ago

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Meadows is still in Erie?

He probably just struggled with the adjustment from High A to AA and has worked through it. Which is really an encouraging sign considering where he was a year ago

A-Hah!

I wasn't paying attention to that part...

Even better.

Toledo W 3-0
Manning 5.2 6K 5H 2BB 0ER
Cameron 1/4
Carpenter 0/4 2K
Tork 0/3 1K
Hill 2/3 2RBI
Wi. Peralta 2H 3K SV

Erie W 6-3
Flores 3IP 1ER 1BB 1K
Meadows 4/4 4RBI HR
Cabrera 2/5
Lipcius 0/3 1BB

WM W 4 -1
Kreidler 0/4 BB
Crouch 1/3 HR
Madden 5IP 2H 2BB 4K

Lakeland L 13-5
Jobe 3.1 7K 5R 2ER
Campos 0/5 K
Pacheco 1/1 BB (taken out of game not sure why)
Sequera 2/4 RBI HR 3B
Santana 1/5 3K

Im worried about Tork,if this was another organization maybe I wouldn't be but our track record of developing guys or fixing any problems isn't good to say the least so when I see a player struggle like he has it is concerning.

It seems like he is struggling most with his bat speed which was one of the things that nobody was concerned about pre draft or early in the minors so I find it unlikely he would suddenly lose that speed in his early 20s. Im hoping that it comes out he has been playing with an injury all season and that is the cause of his problem.

Of course I don't want anything major that could keep him out next year and beyond but something that can be fixed in the offseason and he will be ready to go by Spring Training.

I guess I would clarify to say that I am concerned about Tork to the extent that he had to be sent down in the first place.

But 19 ABs since he's been in Toledo is a really small sample size and, as to his performance in AAA so far, my level of concern is unchanged at this point. 

Edited by mtutiger

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I guess I would clarify to say that I am concerned about Tork to the extent that he had to be sent down in the first place.

But 19 ABs since he's been in Toledo is a really small sample size and, as to his performance in AAA so far, my level of concern is unchanged at this point. 

im not worried because he was sent down, that was almost to be expected.  im worried that he's sucked since he was sent down and is striking out a lot.  at aaa.  he should be dominating triple a.  

yeah yeah small sample size, but i'll be less worried when he starts hitting again.  any day now would be a nice start...

The other thing about Tork that we don't know, as to his AAA assignment specifically, is whether he's working on his swing mechanics based on some of the comments made by AJ as to why he was sent down in the first place. Of course, that had been a frequent discussion on this board prior to his demotion.

If he is, it wouldn't exactly be surprising if there were struggles early on.... but the results obviously need to surface in the long run regardless.

Edited by mtutiger

Elvis Alvarado was promoted from West Michigan to Erie. This is a bit overdue. As a refresher, he's a converted outfielder, now a reliever who has some heat. The Tigers popped him in the Rule 5 draft this year.  I believe he is free agent eligible after the year, so as he has been pitching very well in Lakeland and West Michigan, it makes sense to see if he can stick in Erie.

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

im not worried because he was sent down, that was almost to be expected.  im worried that he's sucked since he was sent down and is striking out a lot.  at aaa.  he should be dominating triple a.  

yeah yeah small sample size, but i'll be less worried when he starts hitting again.  any day now would be a nice start...

two things with Tork - yes the K's obviously, but the other is he needs to get the ball in the air more. Too often when he does barrel up a ball he doesn't get it over an IF's head - seems to make a lot of LD outs. 

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

I am very concerned about Tork. Too many times he would swing and miss and Dan Dickerson would say something to the effect of “ wow that was a middle middle cookie “

It seems he stayed in the zone and just wiffed. Often. 

the thing with Tork is that if he doesn't get back to mashing against AAA pitching, it's going to be a pretty strong indication that the Tigers broke him. And if that's the case, it's one more piece of evidence that Avila or Ilitch needs to take serious look at what they think they are doing at COPA, because recently guys actually seem to hitting a little better everywhere else in the system. Couch, Meadows, Perez, Lipcius, Santana, Carpenter, Kreidler - plenty of examples of guys making at least incremental progress that stand in contradiction to the regression they are getting in Detroit.

Something we have to keep in mind with Tork is that he's still only 22 years old and, in the grand scheme of things, we can conclude from what we have seen that they rushed him too fast and, because of it, it may have impacted his growth as a hitter.

I'll freely admit that, along with most of the fanbase, I thought he should make the Opening Day Roster, but clearly that wasn't the case.

I do think he can be fixed though (like others, I don't have much trust in the org, but in general, his problems seem fixable), but if he's making mechanical changes to his swing, it stands to reason that it may take a little time and may not yield desired results 19 ABs after being sent down.

Edited by mtutiger

Tork is just a kid. We've seen he can be a hot head. We've seen he has a good eye but the umpire doesn't always make the right calls. He's going to have to make adjustments just like every other major leaguer in history. He was always the best guy on the field and now he's not.

He needs to mature, lose the temper and recognize the umps call the balls and strikes. He has to focus on doing damage on pitches he's supposed to crush and have a short memory about the rest.

I think he'll be fine. He was really impressive in the field at times. He's only 22, he'll figure it out.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

are we starting to get worried about tork yet?

Nah, he had one season in the minors and they advanced him 3 levels and then pushed him into the big leagues. Hitting in the bigs is tough, lets see if he's tough enough to handle the failure and make adjustments.