Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

At Toledo: Kreidler 2/4, 3B BB. Torkelson  0/4 but a bottom of the 9th walk to keep the line moving when Toledo was trying to mount a come back. (Game ended with Davis up again with the winning runs in scoring position but no walk off for Brendon tonight.)

0-4....but he had a walk!

baby steps to all star status!

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

0-4....but he had a walk!

baby steps to all star status!

clutch matters!

But seriously, a couple of leverage walks in a couple of days is the kind of sign you want to see that the Tork we are looking for is still in there.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

clutch matters!

But seriously, a couple of leverage walks in a couple of days is the kind of sign you want to see that the Tork we are looking for is still in there.

the tork were all looking for should be 2-4 with a walk and a home run.  not 0-4 with a "clutch walk" late in the game.

lol, come on g2.

Just now, buddha said:

yes!  that's exactly what i wrote!!!  

It kind of is? Those are the expectations that you laid out.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

so if he goes 0-4 with a walk that means he's a hall of famer, right?

Obviously not. But looking at ridiculously small sample sizes (in this case, a single game) and drawing conclusions seems like a mistake to me.

We are all concerned about Tork. He needs to turn it around. But can we at least give him 100 ABs before freaking out?

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It kind of is? Those are the expectations that you laid out.

Obviously not. But looking at ridiculously small sample sizes (in this case, a single game) and drawing conclusions seems like a mistake to me.

We are all concerned about Tork. He needs to turn it around. But can we at least give him 100 ABs before freaking out?

for god's sake.  i was teasing g2 for trying to find some silver lining in tork going 0-4.  just let it go.

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think we can all agree that we didn't want to see Torkelson go 4 for 27 in his first week with Toledo.  

OTOH, how likely was it that a guy whose timing and pitch selection is messed up was going to unwind it instantly just by decreasing his latitude by one degree?

You can look at it as two competing ideas about his problem. If he hadn't gotten into bad habits, if he was doing everything the same as he was before he was called up, then sure - he'd go to Toledo and instantly be back to where he was, but the implication of that would be that he simply couldn't hit MLB pitching doing the things that had gotten him to the big leagues. I don't think that is a conclusion I'd like to see verified.

OTOH, if he was a player who had gotten out of sync with himself, who had things he had to fix to get back to better, you might expect him to have work through that over some time even once the pressure of facing the best pitching was reduced.

I'm here all week. Try the veal.   :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:01 PM, Edman85 said:

BA's transaction log has Michael Mariot and Jake Robson released. I haven't seen anything on the MILB pages, but they haven't appeared in a game in a while.

pretty strange - still no update for this to the Hen's roster or transaction page.

Regarding Torkelson, admittedly this is all just pure speculation on my part and perhaps it's just me trying to be as optimistic about the situation as possible but perhaps the reason for his struggle in AAA is because they noticed something with his swing and specifically sent him down there to work on those things.

Like it would be understandable for his numbers to suffer if he is indeed working through a swing change right now, like the old cliche says "it'll get worse before it gets better" applies to swing or approach changes.  Again though there has been no confirmation to this, it's just as likely he isn't hitting cause he is broken/lost at the plate but just throwing out another reason other than that why it could be. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://theathletic.com/3461142/2022/08/01/mlb-top-prospects-2022-minor-leaguers?source=user-shared-article

Law's updated top 60, only Tiger on it is Jung at number 58. I figured he'd be the only guy with a real chance since Jobe wasnt on his preseason 100 and hasn't exactly lit it up this season so I didn't think he'd move up. 

marcelo mayer #15.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:24 PM, Tiger337 said:

I don't think you can really make a comparison after just 555 minor league plate appearances for Torkelson and it's not like a .916 OPS is bad.  He probably should have spent another season in the minors.  

And that year would have been 2020.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lawlar at 12 as well I believe. It sure would be nice to have either one of them right now. 

A lot of teams passed on Lawlar.  I’ll feel bad about our Jobe pick once Meyer and Lawlar are tearing it up in the majors and Jobe is proven a bust.  Until then, none of this really matters.

Lawlar went 6th so there weren't a ton of teams that passed on him and yeah it's too early to say we got it wrong cause Jobe could end up breaking out and those two either stay stagnant or regress but as of now it doesn't look good particularly since Javy has looked terrible and nobody from our system has emerged as a premium ss prospect, atleast not to the level of those two guys. 

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes.  High school players have all the leverage.

The discussion about money is important as well... Jobe was underslot iirc, so how does a different pick change the subsequent rounds of the draft last year? 

The binary discussions about whether they should have picked "x" player instead kinda misses all of that.

Saw some Jobe footage on twitter last week...frustrated and beset by fielding issues (familiar theme organizationally) he hulked up and blew a couple of fastballs by hitters...he also threw a coupe of sliders that looked ignorant of the laws of physics.  The team has a recent history of drafting pitchers who get hurt...dating back into the 90's at least...before  or shortly after they make the squad  Could Jobe join Verlander and Porcello as injury free pitching prospects?