Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I would think Dingler to Toledo and Crouch to Erie promotions are imminent.

Seriously, I don't know what they think their scouting intelligence is telling them, but when you call up a 25yr OF with a sub 650 MiLB OPS who's already posted a sub 600 OPS in 220 major league AB, while the guy playing next him has 27HR and a >1000 OPS and still hasn't been given a shot, I say you are thinking way too much for your own good.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Seriously, I don't know what they think their scouting intelligence is telling them, but when you call up a 25yr OF with a sub 650 MiLB OPS who's already posted a sub 600 OPS in 220 major league AB, while the guy playing next him has 27HR and a >1000 OPS and still hasn't been given a shot, I say you are thinking way too much for your own good.

Cost control In a lost season

Maybe this season could be less "lost" if they could give players who have a 1.050 OPS in AAA a chance to face big league competition so we have an idea whether the production is real or not.  Particularly when the team currently has a historically bad offense.

It just reeks of a loser mentality to keep up with the status quo.

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe this season could be less "lost" if they could give players who have a 1.050 OPS in AAA a chance to face big league competition so we have an idea whether the production is real or not.  Particularly when the team currently has a historically bad offense.

I get it - they think he is going to fail against better pitching, and maybe he will. But I think if my player evaluation system were generating the kind of monumental failure that the Tigers' is, I'd be a little more modest about the level of credence I continued to give it. 

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know it's dangerous to do "box score scouting" when it comes to minor leaguers cause they don't necessarily paint the picture on how they will handle big league pitching but it's hard not to get excited about Carpenter's numbers this year and how he seemingly keeps getting better as the year goes on particularly his K/BB numbers.

I'd love to get some Cody Ross or Matt Joyce out of him...

Or at least frickin' give him that chance...

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

That...

And since Baddoo is STILL struggling as of right now... make the switch and kill two birds: Give Kerry his chance... and get Baddoo back into AAA to work on his swing...

Or is that too logical?

Someone else is probably better equipped to answer this, but without there being a Rule 5 draft last year, teams have basically two years worth of players that have to be protected on 40 man rosters, or risk losing them.    Not sure if Carpenter is in that boat with us, but if he’s not, it may be a reason not to put call him up this season.  Or, perhaps they want to maximize his trade value this offseason and fear he might get exposed against ML pitching.

Or, the front office is inept.

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Someone else is probably better equipped to answer this, but without there being a Rule 5 draft last year, teams have basically two years worth of players that have to be protected on 40 man rosters, or risk losing them.    Not sure if Carpenter is in that boat with us, but if he’s not, it may be a reason not to put call him up this season.  Or, perhaps they want to maximize his trade value this offseason and fear he might get exposed against ML pitching.

Or, the front office is inept.

He's a Rule 5 guy.

As much as I like the guy, better to put Zack Short out to pasture now and give him a look than later.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

He's a Rule 5 guy.

As much as I like the guy, better to put Zack Short out to pasture now and give him a look than later.

But Hinch needs Zach Short so he’s there to call up so Hinch can play 7 level chess during a game he is already hopelessly behind in and won’t makes any moves anyway.   
🤬

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But Hinch needs Zach Short so he’s there to call up so Hinch can play 7 level chess during a game he is already hopelessly behind in and won’t makes any moves anyway.   
🤬

Zach Short is the poster child for the lack of intellectual curiosity that this org has with trying something new or seeing other guys. Again, I like the guy, but he's 27 years old and it is pretty obvious that they do not see him as a future piece... yet there he is getting random call ups and somehow surviving while D.Hill gets DFA'd.

Setting aside Carpenter or even Kreidler who aren't on the 40, you have a guy on the 40 in Brendon Davis who you claimed off waivers from the LA Angels who can play all the same positions (more or less) and probably isn't any worse than Short and is two years younger.

It stands to reason you would want to evaluate someone like that who hasn't had 160 ABs in the bigs. Not even saying he's a big leaguer, but can we at least evaluate someone new for a change? 

But instead, they seem content with riding out the string instead of getting a look at what they have, on or off the 40.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Zach Short is the poster child for the lack of intellectual curiosity that this org has with trying something new or seeing other guys. Again, I like the guy, but he's 27 years old and it is pretty obvious that they do not see him as a future piece... yet there he is getting random call ups and somehow surviving while D.Hill gets DFA'd.

Setting aside Carpenter or even Kreidler who aren't on the 40, you have a guy on the 40 in Brendon Davis who you claimed off waivers from the LA Angels who can play all the same positions (more or less) and probably isn't any worse than Short and is two years younger.

It stands to reason you would want to evaluate someone like that who hasn't had 160 ABs in the bigs. But instead, they seem content with riding out the string instead of getting a look at what they have, on or off the 40.

when those guys get called up and do poorly, we will all pivot and say they should have kept them in triple a to get at bats like everyone did with tork and baddoo.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

when those guys get called up and do poorly, we will all pivot and say they should have kept them in triple a to get at bats like everyone did with tork and baddoo.

I'm not saying anyone should be called up right now, but if an injury to Baez or Candy or Schoop happens in the next 60 games, who is likely getting the call?

I think we all know it is Zach Short.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

Also, it's mid August and this team is 23 game under .500. 

I'm not sure "they should have kept him in AAA" carries much weight at this point.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also, it's mid August and this team is 23 game under .500. 

I'm not sure "they should have kept him in AAA" carries much weight at this point.

why?  you see how poorly it went for tork and now baddoo.  you can call up and hope for a flash in the pan like baddoo last year or you can stick to your development plan for each player.

we can rant and rave and vent on this site causr that's what this site is for, but i ASSUME they have a plan for each player.  stick to it and dont say "fuck it, lets see what happens" just because the major league season has gone poorly.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It stands to reason you would want to evaluate someone like that who hasn't had 160 ABs in the bigs. Not even saying he's a big leaguer, but can we at least evaluate someone new for a change? 

But instead, they seem content with riding out the string instead of getting a look at what they have, on or off the 40.

This type of stuff is annoying.

Especially when trying out the new is EXACTLY what they should be doing.

Until we make the playoffs, the rebuild is NOT over.

I think Avila is so desperate for wins, and that means Hinch and Ilitch too... that they are making short term stupid decisions instead of long term team building decisions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I think (to me) it's less a "should have kept them in AAA" and more along the lines of: try the new guy, and if he struggles in MLB, send him back down and "next man up".

I don't care if the team struggles. Quit pretending the rebuild is over (message to Ilitch/ Hinch/ Avila) and start filtering through all the new guys or potential new guys to see what sticks/ or needs more seasoning. Grossman/ Schoop/ Barnhart/ Cabrera/ etc. are not a part of our next playoff team. So...

Start filtering.