Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Avila is so desperate for wins, and that means Hinch and Ilitch too... that they are making short term stupid decisions instead of long term team building decisions.

I am inclined to agree with this. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

why?  you see how poorly it went for tork and now baddoo.  you can call up and hope for a flash in the pan like baddoo last year or you can stick to your development plan for each player.

we can rant and rave and vent on this site causr that's what this site is for, but i ASSUME they have a plan for each player.  stick to it and dont say "fuck it, lets see what happens" just because the major league season has gone poorly.

Maybe...

But the flipside is that it looks like there are other guys who are ready to at least get a shot.

Baddoo is easy because if he's struggling... it really looks like Carpenter is ready to at least give a chance to...

Other positions may be more difficult to do that with...

But (also), certainly not the pitching because they've pulled up a basket full of guys, some who have done all right and some who have struggled... and yet, they STILL keep calling up new rookie pitchers that are somehow keeping (at least on the pitching side) this team in games, every single game. I don't think our pitching has been embarrassed much this season, if at all. Maybe a couple games... but it's the O that has been the embarrassment.

As MTU says... do Kreidler, or Davis, deserve any kind of shot, at all? Or is the answer to that no? And only Short deserves to play in MLB because he is a "proven" glove?

keep the audio off.  Dan Hasty's earnestness is a bit much.  Like biting into a sugar cube. Feel guilty saying it, because I'm sure he's genuinely a nice guy, but I can't listen to his Podcast anymore, which sucks because it's the only one that interviews actual Tigers minor leaguers.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

when those guys get called up and do poorly, we will all pivot and say they should have kept them in triple a to get at bats like everyone did with tork and baddoo.

No, the point is there is no seeming rational process behind them dragging out the inevitable with guys like short while denying opportunities to other guys even if only the opportunity is to fail. Again, it looks like they are wed to managing AAA as though they were a playoff team, which is ridiculous. 

Edited by gehringer_2

50 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

As MTU says... do Kreidler, or Davis, deserve any kind of shot, at all? Or is the answer to that no? And only Short deserves to play in MLB because he is a "proven" glove?

TBF I think there's a good chance Kreidler would have had his contract selected by now without the wrist injury.

But we are talking about a historically bad offense made up of a lot of guys on the roster who are likely not long term pieces. I know the position player crop in the minor leagues is thin and all, but it is kinda shocking that with as bad as they are that (unless I'm missing someone, which I may be) not a single contract has been selected among position players to-date.

I know we aren't supposed to question anything and stick to the plan and all, but kinda seems less than ideal to me.

Edited by mtutiger

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe this season could be less "lost" if they could give players who have a 1.050 OPS in AAA a chance to face big league competition so we have an idea whether the production is real or not.  Particularly when the team currently has a historically bad offense.

It just reeks of a loser mentality to keep up with the status quo.

And lose them a year earlier to free agency, hurt trade value, risk losing other players off thr 40 man and they might just suck

Those are all the risks you have with calling them up today. 

Are you willing to put all that on the line to see what they have in a season that's gonna end with a top 5 pick? Seems silly to me and ignores all long term risk for the hope of another win this year.

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Did we not see this with tork and Greene? Just cause I guy is doing well doesn't mean you have to rush him up to the majors.

exactly.  especially since the guys they have brought up to the majors have done poorly.

these are young players who need time.  give it to them.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sure losing Zach Short off the 40 man is gonna be what hinders this franchise going forward 

Probably not 

So got it since you ignored everything else, make him more expensive earlier, ignore the fact he might be as bad as short all for one extra win this year. Solid team building strategy. You'd be in charge of the 1997 tigers.

Edited by KL2

9 minutes ago, KL2 said:

And lose them a year earlier to free agency, hurt trade value, risk losing other players off thr 40 man and they might just suck

Those are all the risks you have with calling them up today...

Or we can risk having absolutely no clue what a kid can provide at the MLB level before just dumping him in the trade or DFA market... And I'm not talking about just Paredes.

9 minutes ago, KL2 said:

... Are you willing to put all that on the line to see what they have in a season that's gonna end with a top 5 pick? Seems silly to me and ignores all long term risk for the hope of another win this year.

These are fringe kids. We're not calling them up for wins. In fact, I would say that almost guarantees more losses. But... you're calling up the fringe guys (Carpenter, Davis, Kreidler, Clemens (oh, already got him up here...)) to see if anyone can stick.

And: out with the old (Schoop, Cabrera, Barnhart, Grossman) and in with the new. Even if some of those "new" names end up changing because a couple couldn't handle MLB pitching and a different couple could...

That's the point.

Edited by 1984Echoes

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Nope...

Our development team needs to still "work him over" some more...

50/50 on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...!

I kinda go back to what Edman said a while ago on the discussion about the 40 man roster... there's enough chaff on there to protect the guys that need to be protected. Zach Short, Daz, Clemens, Davis, W. Castro, etc. These are all guys who can disappear if the org wants them to.

So, no, I have zero problem risking spots to give guys who appear to have earned a shot a look.

The developmental piece is more understandable, I will concede that. 

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I kinda go back to what Edman said a while ago on the discussion about the 40 man roster... there's enough chaff on there to protect the guys that need to be protected. Zach Short, Daz, Clemens, Davis, W. Castro, etc. These are all guys who can disappear if the org wants them to.

So, no, I have zero problem risking spots to give guys who appear to have earned a shot a look.

The developmental piece is more understandable, I will concede that. 

But that is just a vacuum.

What if you cut short and the krider sucks. Who are you calling up? What if schoop gets hurt. 

If you cut short and Clemens, kreider comes up and struggles or someone gets hurt at the same time you literally have nobody to call up. You have short sighted yourself all to bring a guy up to give him a look while also ignoring the financial ramifications of it.

You keep looking at it in a one year vaccum/ignore injuries or guys struggling.

Edited by KL2

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

What if you cut short and the krider sucks. Who are you calling up? What if schoop gets hurt. 

If you cut short and Clemens, kreider comes up and struggles or someone gets hurt at the same time you literally have nobody to call up. You have short sighted yourself all to bring a guy up to give him a look while also ignoring the financial ramifications of it.

Who said anything about cutting Short and Clemens?

not much reason to trust the Tigers making the correct call, but they have been generally aggressive with Tork and Greene; also Carpenter, Meadows, Pacheco, Wencel, Lipcius, Madden, Bergner were all promoted.

hope Carpenter and Kreidel get long looks in September in Det

and Sanchez, Dingler, Couch all up makes sense to me; just let Tucker go and end that embarrassment

12 minutes ago, KL2 said:

If you cut Short...

He's going to re-sign with Toledo.

And if not... we're that stressed by losing Short? He can't be replaced by any AAAA shortstop with a glove that can't ber bought, traded for, etc? Cheaply too. His cost is close to zero in any circumstance. 

Seriously? You're that stressed out about losing Zach "Dime a Dozen" Short?

Or you're stressed about the pending bankruptcy of the Tigers because the financial ramifications of Zach "Dime a Dozen" Short and/ or Ryan "Career utility Guy" Kreidler were not taken into consideration...?

"Holy OVERBLOWN" Batman!!!