Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There were no guarantees.

There were never any guarantees.

But on the flipside... If you have 12 guys who might turn into Jacque Jones, versus 1... might have a better chance of actually getting AT LEAST one Jacque Jones out of that, plus possibly one or two who might be even better, and the rest most likely will all flame out for one reason or another.

Versus ONE, for whom an Org will live or die with.

I prefer having this deep farm system, with a crapload of lottery tickets... rather than a system whose number TWO prospect is Christin frickin' Stewart and number FOUR prospect is Jacoby frickin's Jones.

Than a system with Michael Fulmer as its number ONE prospect and Beau Burrows its number FOUR prospect.

I'm done. I know exactly where I stand. And I know this system is worlds better than in 2016. And it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. 

I'm not going to be BS'ed by anyone anymore. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.

I can't remember any time over the last few decades when the Tigers had at least two position players at every level doing interesting stuff with the bat. Will it yield any fruit? Who knows? But at least there are some intriguing performances up and down the system. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

That means I'm EXTRA serious!!!!

btw, the last time the tigers had two top 10 prospects, it was cameron maybin and andrew miller.

that got us cabrera, but how did those guys turn out?  one eventually turned into a top reliever after being a bust as a starter and the other was a fringe major leaguer for a decade who never lived up to his potential.

would you trade greene and tork for juan soto?

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

btw, the last time the tigers had two top 10 prospects, it was cameron maybin and andrew miller.

that got us cabrera, but how did those guys turn out?  one eventually turned into a top reliever after being a bust as a starter and the other was a fringe major leaguer for a decade who never lived up to his potential.

I would if I knew they could sign him long term.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

It's something to think about.

But... I don't think this team is done rebuilding yet. So to me, it doesn't make sense to trade two assets for one. I know Soto has proven more... But we need quantity AND quality. And the problem here is that both Greene & Tork may become as productive as Soto. That's a huge bet... and I understand if you and Lee are opining that you'd rather have the known quantity (Soto) rather than two unknowns that MAY be as good as the known one. 

If you asked me that in 3 years... and our team was nearly built, and we needed just that one monster bat to put us at or over the top... then yes, I would be perfectly willing to trade Jung & Jobe and the multiple other prospects it would take to get him.

Plus Lee's caveat that you know you could sign him... because I am loathe to give up a boatload of high end prospects for a rental. I also want the known (commitment/ control) quantity.

But today... I'm just not yet ready to make that move...

this is small potatoes but has been bugging me. Can someone explain the Trayce Thompson move? The Tigers pick him up after Padres release him (not surprising with various ex-Dodgers now in organization; he had his best run with them). He hits 8 HR in a month at Toledo, and then the Tigers sell him to the Dodgers, where he has put up 1.4 WAR in limited playing time. So the guy who could not get ABs with this garbage team is a rotational piece for the best team in the NL? Again, swing and miss.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

this is small potatoes but has been bugging me. Can someone explain the Trayce Thompson move? The Tigers pick him up after Padres release him (not surprising with various ex-Dodgers now in organization; he had his best run with them). He hits 8 HR in a month at Toledo, and then the Tigers sell him to the Dodgers, where he has put up 1.4 WAR in limited playing time. So the guy who could not get ABs with this garbage team is a rotational piece for the best team in the NL? Again, swing and miss.

Deja vu all over again

Toledo W 10-6
Kriedler 1/4 K 
Tork 0/3 2BB 2K
Carpenter 1/2 2BB SF HR 5 RBI
Norris 4IP 1H 3K

Erie W 6-4
Meadows 1/5 2K 2B 
Perez 2/5 HR K
Dingler 1/4 RBI 2B 3K
Madden 4.2 3ER 6K 4BB

WM L 3-1 (only 5 innings due to weather)
Jung 0/3 K 
Crouch 0/2 K

Lakeland W 7-2
Graham 1/4 2K SB
Sequera 2/4 RBI SB CS 2K
Campos 1/3 BB SB
Serretti 2/3 HR BB 3RBI

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

He's on the older side and clearly isn't a future piece is the most likely answer. 

But they easily could have selected him, particularly given that he was in the org right around when Grossman went down with injury and they were rolling with W.Castro as an everyday CFer.

I know there was some push back yesterday when we were debating about guys like Zack Short remaining on the 40 man, but my perception is that the Tigers are far more conservative than other orgs when it comes to working the waiver wire or being willing to DFA someone when you know that they aren't going to help out.

Edited by mtutiger

49 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Hmm, I thought a bit about this myself. IMHO, it seems the Tigs (as do many even here) may feel if a guy is not south of 25 yrs old maybe they are wasting their time as the 'future' is not with that player.

With said, teams, and this includes 'good' teams as well (ex with this case) always have players that are not cornerstone franchise players ex platoon, take a chance on types, depth options, etc. Thompson (31 yrs old) may not have gotten another chance with our organization and for him it was best to get this chance as the LAD knew all about him and he had helped them in the past.

He probably could of helped a bit this year, again IMHO, but this team has to see and let a few others play ex Baddoo, Daz, W. Castro, etc. and see what they have - all who are young still and from there are either part of next year, minor league depth or DFA (ex DHill).

I felt Kevin Padlo, 1B/3B/some power, 26 yrs old, DFA by Seattle just recently may have been worth a chance (because Seattle plucked DHill). The Pirates nabbed him (so we passed on him) and Pit IS moving forward with what they are doing as well - sooo someone else thought enough of him to take a chance.

Edited by alex

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The burning mystery of Jacob Robson's disappearance without a trace has been resolved. He has hooked on with the Kansas City Monarchs - and indie league team. Still has never been any transaction posted for him by the Tigers....

He was the ransom for Eduardo Rodriguez.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

The simple explanation is that they just cannot let go of Grossman.

Because of Hinch, or for whatever other reason they have...

43 minutes ago, alex said:

I felt Kevin Padlo, 1B/3B/some power, 26 yrs old, DFA by Seattle just recently may have been worth a chance (because Seattle plucked DHill). The Pirates nabbed him (so we passed on him) and Pit IS moving forward with what they are doing as well - sooo someone else thought enough of him to take a chance.

Not that anyone wants to be in the situation of a Pittsburgh where you are constantly churning guys into and out of an organization, but the Tigers are a team that probably should be doing some of this to an extent.

Look at the Baltimore Orioles - they have been a surprise team this year, undoubtedly much of which speaks to the performance of younger players they have developed in their system. But they also employ some useful players who were waiver wire pickups or released players that other orgs casted off. Spenser Watkins (who we all know about) and Jorge Mateo, among others, come to mind.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

2 Thompson notes: he is under control for at least 3 more years, so that would be thru Year 10 of 20 of The Rebuild; and his WAR is not that high on every site, but regardless it would be the biggest WAR on the Tigers

if they brought up thompson, half the board would be bitching that he was taking at bats from baddoo.  lol.

Edited by buddha

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

1-800-call-Al

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

2 Thompson notes: he is under control for at least 3 more years, so that would be thru Year 10 of 20 of The Rebuild; and his WAR is not that high on every site, but regardless it would be the biggest WAR on the Tigers

"Under control" gets way way way overused for marginal guys in these parts.

You have Juan Soto or Ronald Acuna under control. Relievers are under control until they break. Back end roster filler are under control until they are DFAed in their next slump.