Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

11 hours ago, casimir said:

Quintana's OPSing around .800 between A+ & AA.  He hadn't established himself as a prospect via his stats with the Tigers.  Maybe Cincinnati saw something to adjust and/or he just had a breakthrough as a player?

Seems he is doing better but it could just be another year of experience. Thanks for the update.

Toledo W 8-7
A.Meadows 2/6 2K 2RBI
Kriedler 0/3 2BB
Tork 0/4 1RBI 1BB 2K
Lipcius 1/5 2B RBI 
Wentz 2.2IP  2H 3BB 5K 1ER

Erie W 5-3
P.Meadows 1/4 HR BB
Cabrera 2/5 HR
Perez 0/4
Kirby 6IP 10K

WM W 5-4
Jung 3/5 (all singles)
Crouch 2/5 2B
Smith 3.0 IP 4K 3H

Lakeland L 7-1
Santana 1/3 BB
Graham 0/3 BB CS
Reyes 1/4 HR
Jobe 6IP 6K 2ER 5H

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Toledo W 8-7
A.Meadows 2/6 2K 2RBI
Kriedler 0/3 2BB
Tork 0/4 1RBI 1BB 2K
Lipcius 1/5 2B RBI 
Wentz 2.2IP  2H 3BB 5K 1ER

Erie W 5-3
P.Meadows 1/4 HR BB
Cabrera 2/5 HR
Perez 0/4
Kirby 6IP 10K

WM W 5-4
Jung 3/5 (all singles)
Crouch 2/5 2B
Smith 3.0 IP 4K 3H

Lakeland L 7-1
Santana 1/3 BB
Graham 0/3 BB CS
Reyes 1/4 HR
Jobe 6IP 6K 2ER 5H

Thank you for posting these—much appreciated!

• Like 1

will note that Ian Anderson, huge part of 2 post seasons and a WS run for the Braves, was just demoted. player development is not a straight line. and if Tork's problems could be fixed with 2 weeks in Toledo, they would have done that in June. i am concerned that his bat looks slow which screams Stewart to me.

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

will note that Ian Anderson, huge part of 2 post seasons and a WS run for the Braves, was just demoted. player development is not a straight line. and if Tork's problems could be fixed with 2 weeks in Toledo, they would have done that in June. i am concerned that his bat looks slow which screams Stewart to me.

I dont see his bat speed as an issue. I think he is in his head a lot right now. This is a guy who has never struggled for long at any level. I believe he needs to get out of his head in the batters box as he looks indecisive which has not been an issue in the past. 

I don’t know if it’ll be later this year or next year but I believe his bat still has huge upside for us, even if he’s not had the start everyone was hoping that he would be right away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I believe he needs to get out of his head in the batters box as he looks indecisive which has not been an issue in the past. 

my totally untrained eyes agree. I think in the end, most hitters just have to trust their own talent and stop trying to coach themselves in the batter's box. I think sometimes they get scared to do that when they get near the top because what if their talent isn't enough? But you have to face that fear and get over it to clear your mind - your limit has been out there waiting for you since little league. Worrying about where it really is it won't help you get to it.

I agree about getting out of his head but I disagree about him not losing any bat speed, to me he clearly has. Aside from the fact he will be late on FBs in FB count his barrels just aren't going as hard as they were clocked at before. 

He crushed the one ball in KC off a breaking ball but aside from that he hasn't hit anything close to his 70 grade power that most of the scouting reports had him at when he was a prospect. If the bat speed was still there you'd think he atleast run into a few moonshots or 115+ mph lasers even if by accident but he hasn't. 

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

after being the least valuable player in the majors, tork is now vying to be the least valuable player in triple a.

Consistency.

I wonder how much of this is mental now.  He’s likely not struggled on the diamond before like this.  Maybe this is his Jordan cut from JV moment?

46 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I dont see his bat speed as an issue. I think he is in his head a lot right now. This is a guy who has never struggled for long at any level. I believe he needs to get out of his head in the batters box as he looks indecisive which has not been an issue in the past. 

I don’t know if it’ll be later this year or next year but I believe his bat still has huge upside for us, even if he’s not had the start everyone was hoping that he would be right away. 

Yes, I guess I should have kept reading the thread and agreed with you.

Nice to see him hit any kinda pitch but looking at the pitchers profile and he is only averaging 92 mph on his FB this year so the FB likely was just a BP fastball by big league standards, still a little encouraging but I won't be satisfied until I see him hit some big league quality pitches. 

Toledo W 4-3
Kriedler 2/5 2K 2B
Tork 2/4 HR BB K
Lipcius 0/1 3BB
A.Meadows 0-3
E Rod 5IP 1H 1 BB 6K

Erie W 5-1
Meadows 2/3 BB HR 2B RBI
Dingler 1/3 PO
Cabrera 2/5 2B RBI
Gipson-Long 5IP 6H 1ER 4K

WM L 4-2
Crouch 0/5 4K (yikes)
Jung 1/4 BB 2B
Hurter 5.2 IP 2ER 5H 5K 

Lakeland W 4-2 
Serretti 2/2 (Left game in 3rd not sure why)
Reyes 2/3
Sequera 1/5 2B(24th on the year) K 2 RBI
Campos 2/5 2B(21st on the year) K 2RBI
Santana 0/2 3BB
Graham 1/3 2BB

14 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

trying to be rational about P Meadows; pretty amazing turn around from a guy who had horrible results his first few years

I'm right there with you but I temper my expectations with the fact he can't hit lefties right now so he definitely has something he needs to work on but I can't help to think that between him, Perez, Keith, and Lipcius that the poaching we did from the Dodgers is starting to bear some fruit.