Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They had another MiLB trade earlier this year where they acquired Mike Mariot for cash. 

Wasted cash at that as Mariot is gone.

In fact, Mariot is the other half of the Jacob Robson trivia question: What two players remained on the Mudhen's 2022 published roster one month after they both left the team.

Edited by gehringer_2

The minor league Detroit Kittens are definitely more interesting than the major league Detroit "so-called" Tigers (see today's game thread)...

Toledo

Austin got a hit (1-4).

Not much O for Toledo.

But Elvin had a nice game (too few of those in '22) with 6 shutout inn's on 2 hits, 2 BB's and an HBP, and 7 K's...

Erie

Wilmer Flores pitched today & gave up only 4 hits 1BB in 6 inn's, but also 3 runs on a HR, HBP and the other base runners... Not great, not terrible. Only 3 K's... not his usual dominant 2022 performance... But that's OK...

Parker got a hit too (1-5).

Dingler went 2-4 with a triple, single.

Workman had a nice day with a 2-4 on 2 doubles and NO K's!!!

WM

Crouch is hitting .300 for the Whitecaps, .850 OPS, 1-3 today with a double and a BB.

Lakeland

Lakeland just started so not much going on there yet except... Carlos Pena is pitching... :classic_biggrin:

The thought occurred to me, probably later than everyone else on the board, that super hyped prospects are at their highest value before being promoted to the big leagues where they might struggle. Tork is a case in point. If we wanted to we probably could have had Soto for Tork and Greene before calling them up as an example. Now Tork's value is greatly marginalized. I wonder if all GM's consider this before calling them up and it seems DD made a career of trading the hype. I think the Yankees used to do that also. 

So maybe the new GM should trade Dingler, Flores and Jobe for a some young proven hitters as the first step of the rebound. Kind of the opposite of trading proven vets for more lotto picks. it's less years of control but quicker path to respectability and combined with a Tork/ Greene ascension and pitchers healing we might have something.

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

The thought occurred to me, probably later than everyone else on the board, that super hyped prospects are at their highest value before being promoted to the big leagues where they might struggle. Tork is a case in point. If we wanted to we probably could have had Soto for Tork and Greene before calling them up as an example. Now Tork's value is greatly marginalized. I wonder if all GM's consider this before calling them up and it seems DD made a career of trading the hype. I think the Yankees used to do that also. 

So maybe the new GM should trade Dingler, Flores and Jobe for a some young proven hitters as the first step of the rebound. Kind of the opposite of trading proven vets for more lotto picks. it's less years of control but quicker path to respectability and combined with a Tork/ Greene ascension and pitchers healing we might have something.

Nobody wants to give up cost controlled top prospects for the chance they become an all-star in the near future.  But it does seem more often than not it goes the other way. 

Look at CJ Abrams. Would the Padres have been willing to trade him in that deal before the season started?  Doubtful.  

Torkelson hit .238 at Toledo last year but it came with power and good obp. That seemed like the floor.  Clearly, he is not the same hitter he was last year and there is something going on mentally or mechanically.  I don’t think it’s just an issue of not being to handle the next level of pitching because we have seen enough abs at Toledo now to draw some conclusions.

12 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

something else Avila was really bad at.

this is just one part, but a big part, of asset management. you have got to know your prospects best. should you keep them or trade them? if DD is doing the trading, assume he gets is right almost all the time, with a few fails, and some absolute steals

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

something else Avila was really bad at.

this is just one part, but a big part, of asset management. you have got to know your prospects best. should you keep them or trade them? if DD is doing the trading, assume he gets is right almost all the time, with a few fails, and some absolute steals

It's a general failure of the Avila era, although I don't know whether trading Greene/Tork for someone like Juan Soto would have been a great idea in any event for this ballclub given how far away they are and the questionability of signing him long term.

I do expect that a new GM might be a little more aggressive with trading assets, particularly with pitching assets they have. 

9 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

The guys I'm hopeful can contribute to the future are Greene, Tork and Baddoo. 21, 22 and 23 years old. I don't think we can declare them failures for awhile. Especially when Reyes keeps getting chances.

I would feel better about Baddoo if his defense wasn't so bad.... I do think he needs more runway to establish himself as an offensive player, but he really needs to work on his defense if he wants to stick in this league.

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

The guys I'm hopeful can contribute to the future are Greene, Tork and Baddoo. 21, 22 and 23 years old. I don't think we can declare them failures for awhile. Especially when Reyes keeps getting chances.

Reyes is going to add 15 poiunds of muscles this off-season and hit for power next year.  

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Reyes is going to add 15 poiunds of muscles this off-season and hit for power next year.  

Yep,  Every offseason since we got him he reportedly has added 15lbs of muscle so by my calculations he should be looking like The Incredible Hulk by now. 

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

Isn't Reyes about due to hit his 10/5 rights?  He is the Buck Farmer of position players.

After all of us are dead and gone future fans and posters will still be debating his worth due the empty babip fueled hot stretches he provides here and there.

Buck Farmer being rostered for almost 10 years without ever once putting up a plus season is absolutely baffling. 

Sometimes you'll see that with position players if they are defensively flexible or provide atleast one positive skill but as a reliever that is just mind boggling and unheard of.

I guess he did have the "skilll" of being able to get stretched out and start at times but that doesn't seem like enough to overcome all his other shortcomings.