Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Austin Meadows rehab assignment has been called off and he will be re-evaluated next week, get the sense like he's a lost cause for this season. Hopefully he'll be alright for the start of next season but with the way things are going who knows, could be something that lingers the rest of his career or life.  

50 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Al did the honorable thing last year. They had agreed to terms with Jobe before the draft, not expecting or knowing who would be taken before him.

While honorable it was stupid thing to do in the first place, not necessarily picking on Al cause teams in all leagues reportedly have done something similar but unless the promised player is indeed your number 1 player on the board no matter who falls what is the point of doing it?

I could maybe see in the NBA where sometimes guys will opt back to college right before the draft cause they arent sure if they will be 1st rounders or not so in that case if a team picking in the 20s likes the guy so much they don't want to risk him going to back to school then insuring him you will take him makes sense but I don't get it otherwise. 

Also it wasn't like it would be a huge shocker that Al couldn't possibly have seen coming with Mayer falling to 3, everybody knew the Rangers were all in on Leiter so all it took was the Pirates to pass on Mayer for him to be there for the Tigers and knowing how cheap the Pirates could be it shouldn't  come as a shock for that to happen.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

Al did the honorable thing last year. They had agreed to terms with Jobe before the draft, not expecting or knowing who would be taken before him.

This is less honorable, more sticking to the plan because you don't want to risk penalties from blowing up the bonus pool. If you had a deal with Madden too, that goes to hell if you draft somebody you don't have a number on.

• Like 1

In general, whenever this conversation comes up, it seems like a baked in assumption that there is zero cost in terms of other selections had the Tigers switched out Jobe for Mayer.

Believing that Mayer or Lawlar would have been better selections is completely a legit view... I wouldn't have preferred Jobe there either. But we also can't say that, had they gone with Mayer, they would have also gotten Pacheco and/or Madden. 

Maybe that's a risk or sacrifice worth taking for some folks, but that context should at least be acknowledged when this conversation comes up.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

They may have not gotten Madden or Pacheco but even if that is the case as much as I like those guys I still would give them up to have a Mayer or Lawlar right now.

Having a top 10ish prospect at a position of need outweighs the loss of those two particularly since its not like we'd end up with nobody with those two picks. Even if we couldn't get them two theres still a chance that we could get a quality player(s) there. 

Now if Pacheco, Jobe and Madden turn out to be legit then we'll forget all about this but as of now the pick definitely looks like something we're gonna regret.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

They may have not gotten Madden or Pacheco but even if that is the case as much as I like those guys I still would give them up to have a Mayer or Lawlar right now.

Having a top 10ish prospect at a position of need outweighs the loss of those two particularly since its not like we'd end up with nobody with those two picks. Even if we couldn't get them two theres still a chance that we could get a quality player(s) there. 

Completely fair. I would rather have both as well, tbh, although I don't know that it's a slam dunk either.

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

If I had to guess I think it has to do with a rule in which the tigers don't let pitchers have more than 25 or 30 pitches in an inning which is why he was taken out. 

I think this is correct. You see a lot of short outings at the lower levels that are do not appear to be performance issues. The Tiger philosophy seems to be to keep young guys on a consistent schedule but limit the total amount/stress of pitching they do.

Edited by gehringer_2

Jobe threw close to 48 pitches in 1.2 innings.  Gave up a run one one hit...but three walks to go with three K's.  Sounds like he was getting a lot of movement...but didn't have much command.  Not too surprising for a 19 year old.

On a happier note...Sequera hit his 17th HR.  Not bad for a 19 year-old

Edited by Shinzaki

23 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I was bored and wanted to check out some of the DSL Tigers and obviously statline hunting is not the best way to evaluate prospects but Reylin Perez from this years international signings is raking in the DSL (high babip as well). Below is the only video I could find of him. 

image.png.f27d79cee7a5fb42ecaa3935b298cc6e.pngimage.png.f27d79cee7a5fb42ecaa3935b298cc6e.png

Nice bat flip.