Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

How so?

They can slow play him. Hold him down a couple of weeks to gain an extra year. Wait until his arbitration eligible date has passed. Or, sign a team friendly deal for 6 years plus a couple of team options.

18 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

They can slow play him. Hold him down a couple of weeks to gain an extra year. Wait until his arbitration eligible date has passed. Or, sign a team friendly deal for 6 years plus a couple of team options.

The new PPI rule completely removes this incentive.

• Like 2

Toledo L 9-5
Meadows 1/5 RBI HR
Greene 1/3 K HR
Malloy 3/3 2 2B
Keith 1/4
Lipcius 0/3 BB K

Erie W 5-3
Cruz 3/4 BB
Bigbie 2/5 2RBI K HR 
Perez 2/5 K
Dingler 2/4 RBI
Serretti 0/3 BB 2K
Flores 4IP 2ER 3K BB

WM L 5-2
Allen 0/4 K
Jung 1/3 BB K
Campos 2/4 K
Pacheco 1/4 RBI 2B 

Lakeland GM1 W 4-2
Stephenson 0/1 2BB K SB (#33)
Gold 2/3 2RBI HR 
Bastidas 0/3 K
Santana 0/3 3K

Lakeland GM 2 W 13-6
Bastidas 2/3 BB 
Santana 1/2 BB K 3RBI HR
Fr. Perez .2IP 3ER BB

FCL L 11-4
Gil 0/2 2BB K
Briceno 1/3 2RBI 2B SF
Perez 0/4
Diaz 1/3 K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

The new PPI rule completely removes this incentive.

It seems PPI takes away with one hand what it offers with the other. It does encourage a team to promote a guy coming out of ST, but it would seem to *discourage* mid season promotions. It's sort of like the rich getting richer beacause top prospects already had the advantage of possible super two status.  

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Flores got bombed in his 2nd and 3rd starts, but has been good or great every start since

Yeah, he is definitely doing better as the year is going on with a sub 2.2 ERA for both May and June. I would like to see him go further in games as he has only gone 6IP in 2 starts this year but I am guessing part of that is the pitch count he is on.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Toledo L 9-5
Meadows 1/5 RBI HR
Greene 1/3 K HR
Malloy 3/3 2 2B
Keith 1/4
Lipcius 0/3 BB K

Erie W 5-3
Cruz 3/4 BB
Bigbie 2/5 2RBI K HR 
Perez 2/5 K
Dingler 2/4 RBI
Serretti 0/3 BB 2K
Flores 4IP 2ER 3K BB

WM L 5-2
Allen 0/4 K
Jung 1/3 BB K
Campos 2/4 K
Pacheco 1/4 RBI 2B 

Lakeland GM1 W 4-2
Stephenson 0/1 2BB K SB (#33)
Gold 2/3 2RBI HR 
Bastidas 0/3 K
Santana 0/3 3K

Lakeland GM 2 W 13-6
Bastidas 2/3 BB 
Santana 1/2 BB K 3RBI HR
Fr. Perez .2IP 3ER BB

FCL L 11-4
Gil 0/2 2BB K
Briceno 1/3 2RBI 2B SF
Perez 0/4
Diaz 1/3 K

Barring a promotion to Detroit, Meadows is in a good position to finish with a 20/20 season.  Really encouraged by Luke Gold--after a rough start to the season, he has been raking and is putting up very respectable numbers.  I can see him moving up to West Michigan at some point this season, which probably should be expected for a college player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

As far as I know, all players who have signed long deals before any service time haa signed over the winter or spring training.

That just happens to be Extension season. My hunch is that is when the front offices have a bit of downtime and can hammer those deals out with the offseason over and draft prep not yet heated up. They also have a better idea of their budget and their CBT number at that point.

The Tigers would be wise to work out a deal with Keith (or Greene). Because the CBT is based on AAV, these types of deals are smart for teams whose payroll will be increasing in future years because you can take a bit of AAV in your CBT number now against later. I bet it is moot for the Tigers going forward, but that is a factor for some teams, especially some teams who may be up against it now and can't really justify pushing that AAV up now. I suspect this is a big reason why the Tigers had to go year-to-year with Castellanos and JD Martinez back in the day instead of trying to lock them up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

He is old for that league. He is also blocked by Jung 

42 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I see Jung moving up to Erie. 

Oh I agree, Jung probably gets moved to Erie and he's 22 which is about 1 year older than the average so it's not like he is a 24 year old beating up on 19 year olds. He was drafted last year and it some times takes a little time to get acclimated to pro ball but I will be interested to see if he continues in WM once he gets moved up. He is a bat first prospect so he needs to keep it up. 

Law has a write up of the game on The Athletic. For the most part it's him bitching about the game being 7 innings and on Peacock, didn't have a whole lot to say about many bats but Colt did get one of the few positive mentions, with this quote "Still, the hitters didn’t look great. A few who stood out even a little bit: Detroit’s Colt Keith got jammed on a slider in on his hands but is so strong he blooped it to short right-center for a hit."