Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Well, to be fair the fanboy accounts tweet out highlights and can be misleading.

This is a good example of that.  This play had the hot dog but little meat. It didn't tell you anything about range - it was right to him, nor quickness, it was not hit hard, and the throw was on the short side, he was playing shallow. So nice play to look at,  but not a particularly helpful one for overall evaluation.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Well, to be fair the fanboy accounts tweet out highlights and can be misleading.

If we’re being fair, the Tweet never commented on the quality of the throw, only that he made a terrific barehanded play.  That part is true—if he doesn’t field it cleanly, and barehanded, he doesn’t have a shot at getting him out.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know where he started at the beginning of the play, but based on the timing of the video and the fact that he was waiting for the ball at third base, I would guess that he was shaded very far towards the third base line to start the play.  You really can't tell anything about his ability from one play.  

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is a good example of that.  This play had the hot dog but little meat. It didn't tell you anything about range - it was right to him, nor quickness, it was not hit hard, and the throw was on the short side, he was playing shallow. So nice play to look at,  but not a particularly helpful one for overall evaluation.

Yes, the play doesn't tell me anything about his skills.  Cabrera can probably make one play like that if he gets lucky. 

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If we’re being fair, the Tweet never commented on the quality of the throw, only that he made a terrific barehanded play.  That part is true—if he doesn’t field it cleanly, and barehanded, he doesn’t have a shot at getting him out.

That's what I took from it -- that he had the presence of mind to barehand it.

4 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Should he have charged that ball to get it on the big hop rather than laying back ?

he certainly could have -  that would be the conventional play, and he'd be moving in on the throw, which is helpful. But I hesitate to say a guy did it wrong if he got the out - adding the time for the transfer might have ended up IFH. Conversely, deciding to use your right hand adds risk because even if you are good with your right hand if the ball picks up some spin you're not likely to hold on. It all depends on how fast Keith believed he could make the transfer and throw if he charges and whether he was right about what he believed.

• Like 1

Toledo W 7-3
Meadows 2/4 2B BB K
Keith 0/4 BB K
Solak 3/5 2B 2RBI
Nevin 1/4 BB 2K
Wentz 4.2IP 8H 2ER 3K 3BB

Erie GM1 W 1-0
Cruz 1/3 2K
Bigbie 0/2 BB
Perez 0/3 K
Serretti 0/2
Gipson-Long 5IP 4H 6K 

Erie GM2 W 9-2
Cruz 1/3 BB K
Bigbie 1/4 K
Perez 3/3 RBI BB HR
Serretti 1/3 2B RBI 
Montero 5IP 2ER BB 9K 

WM W 4-2
Allen 0/3 BB 3K
Jung 1/2 2BB 2B 2SB
Campos 2/4 4RBI HR SB
Pacheco 0/3 BB

Lakeland L 11-5
Gold 1/5 2B
Bastidas 2/4 K
Stephenson 1/5 2SB
Fr. Perez .02IP H

FCL W 3-2
Briceno 1/5 SB
Campbell 2/4 2B RBI K SB
Gil 0/3 BB K
Perez 0/3 BB K

Campbell is interesting to me, he has been all over the diamond (C,3B,1B) and he is another signing out of ANZ and 19 years old. I have no scouting report on him but he has been putting up good numbers in the FCL this year. 

Toledo L 4-3
Meadows 1/3 RBI 2B (22 on the year)
Keith 0/3 RBI 2K
Sands 2/4
Faedo 5IP ER 9K

JHM to the 7-day DL

Erie W 3-0
Cruz 1/5 K
Bigbie 1/4 K
Perez 3/4 RBI 3B
Serretti 0/4 K
Madden 4.2IP 2H 2BB 8K
Bergner 1.1IP H 2K

WM W 4-0
Allen 2/4 BB
Jung 0/4 BB
Campos 1/4 2B RBI BB K
Pacheco 2/5 RBI

Lakeland W 4-3
Gold 1/5 3RBI 2B
Sequera 0/3 BB
Bastidas 1/4

12 hours ago, casimir said:

What’s with IF Corey Joyce in Toledo?  Has he suddenly found something or is this just a short term mirage?

He started really hot with Toledo with a .313/.436/.516 stat line for May but has cooled off quite a bit since then. June he had a .216/.397/.353 stat line so still walking at a good clip but not much power and for July he is .200/.273/.550 so honestly probably just a SSS thing but something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

He started really hot with Toledo with a .313/.436/.516 stat line for May but has cooled off quite a bit since then. June he had a .216/.397/.353 stat line so still walking at a good clip but not much power and for July he is .200/.273/.550 so honestly probably just a SSS thing but something to keep an eye on. 

Thanks.  I hadn't looked at his monthly splits.  I just figured it was short term success given his previous seasons.

14 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's logical, but Baddoo is a platoon player and I want Meadows playing every day, like Keith and Malloy.  So I'd rather not call him up.

Green, Meadows Vierling, Carpenter, Cabrera are sharing 3 OF + DH and Cabrera only plays 50% and they want to rest Riley more the rest of the way so the other three can all have >80% of maximum AB. Works for me.

I like Baddoo, but he's done pretty close to zero since June other than the one game this week. It's not enough.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Green, Meadows Vierling, Carpenter, Cabrera are sharing 3 OF + DH and Cabrera only plays 50% and they want to rest Riley more the rest of the way so the other three can all have >80% of maximum AB. Works for me.

I like Baddoo, but he's done pretty close to zero since June other than the one game this week. It's not enough.

That's fine except we've seen too much of Haase and Ibanez in the outfield and there's no reason to assume that it won't continue, that they won't take playing time away from Meadows.  I agree that Baddoo hasn't done enough to keep his spot.

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Meadows will probably hit like Baddoo but his defense will add so much more value. 

30 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's fine except we've seen too much of Haase and Ibanez in the outfield and there's no reason to assume that it won't continue, that they won't take playing time away from Meadows.  I agree that Baddoo hasn't done enough to keep his spot.

Since it's not my team, my money nor my roster to manage, I have no qualms about saying after 6 or 7  yrs I'm ready for them to stop giving such long leashes to players that would be pretty flawed even under their best upside....:classic_laugh: