Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Since it's not my team, my money nor my roster to manage, I have no qualms about saying after 6 or 7  yrs I'm ready for them to stop giving such long leashes to players that would be pretty flawed even under their best upside....:classic_laugh:

Yes I am not seeing Baddoo as a 600 PA guy anymore, I was hoping for that in his rookie year.  He provides bursts of excitement now and then but he's not the 20/20 guy that I was hoping for.

I just don't want Meadows to be platooned this year and I am 100% certain that he would be.  I think that in a successful organization platooning is a tactic, not a strategy...a tactic borne of necessity.  With the Tigers it seems to be a strategy.

The 2024 OF/DH alignments:

Greene, OF, everyday.  Carpenter, DH, everyday.  That's the easy part.

Baddoo & Vierling as MLB incumbents.  Malloy & MeadowsP as being some degree of ready.  It seems a bit crowded, maybe one has to be moved.  Malloy's inability to take to 3B really hurts.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes I am not seeing Baddoo as a 600 PA guy anymore, I was hoping for that in his rookie year.  He provides bursts of excitement now and then but he's not the 20/20 guy that I was hoping for.

I just don't want Meadows to be platooned this year and I am 100% certain that he would be.  I think that in a successful organization platooning is a tactic, not a strategy...a tactic borne of necessity.  With the Tigers it seems to be a strategy.

Baddoo is still pretty raw, we don't know his ceiling yet. He really could have benefited from 600 everyday at bats in  AAA.

42 minutes ago, casimir said:

The 2024 OF/DH alignments:

Greene, OF, everyday.  Carpenter, DH, everyday.  That's the easy part.

Baddoo & Vierling as MLB incumbents.  Malloy & MeadowsP as being some degree of ready.  It seems a bit crowded, maybe one has to be moved.  Malloy's inability to take to 3B really hurts.

I never worry about too many players.  These situations always work themselves out. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I never worry about too many players.  These situations always work themselves out. 

Probably true.  We have certainly seen that with pitchers that last couple of seasons.

Malloy & MeadowsP can always be optioned.  It would seem both have some holes to their games, so it wouldn't be out of the question to have them playing everyday in AAA to iron those out as opposed to being platooned in Detroit.

I did what I hate to do and assume only players inside the organization.  We don't know what other moves may occur between now and then.  I don't think they'll be big players in free agency, but who knows what trades they might engage in.  So, part lazy by me, part unknown going into next season.

I'd like to see some more out of Baddoo.  I think there are some metrics that show he is improving over his time with Detroit.  I think he will have some limitations that will have to be minimized, but I would think he has some growth to his game yet, too.

I think it may have already reached the point where AAA would be doing more good for Baddoo than Meadows, and Meadows would be doing more good for the Tigers, which is why I would make the move. You can always option him back and maybe even rotate Malloy in for a stretch if need, despite the handedness swap. At 23 1/2 it's not like you need to preserve Meadows' options anymore. 

The other aspect is I would want to see  at least a little of what I have in Meadows against MLB pitching this season because it's going to help you plan for next season. I would think they'd want a better idea of whether he is a viable MLB player before the off-season. He might not be able to prove he is with much certainty, but he could well prove he isn't.

Edited by gehringer_2

Also Ironic that the PPI rule is now acting as much to keep Colt Keith at AAA as is it to help him get promoted now. Not that I'd call him up now anyway.

I just don't want to see them give up on Harris' supposed commitment to give guys their shot this season. They aren't going to catch Minny/Cleveland with this offense anyway and if they sell pitching for offense they won't have the pitching for a serious run

Their best month this season was about 550 and if they play 550 the rest of the way that's still only 80 even, and that's not likely to do it.  So if I'm sitting in Harris' chair I want to use the rest of season to see Meadows and maybe Malloy and maybe even Perez, Kreidler if he's medically cleared, and if you happen to catch lightening in a bottle and both Cleveland and Minny collapse, that's gravy, but waiting for that wouldn't be my plan A.

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Victor Caratini - but hard to platoon C based on other team's pitcher

I understand planning on a platoon at any particular position except for C.  Too much day game after night game interference among other things.

If you like Rogers as your primary you aren't going to do a full blown L/R platoon at catcher because that gives 75% of the PA to the LH guy. You really just want a backup for Jake, and that doesn't have to be a LH bat as long as you can find a RHB whose OPS platoon split isn't completely terrible (say even 625-650) since you're going to prefer to give Jake most of his days off against RHP (his OPS is 960 against LHP!) 

Which BTW, is the big opportunity cost of Hinch's even handedness doling out PA against LHP between Jake and Haase. He's trying to get Haase going but he's giving up the damage that Jake could be doing.

Edited by gehringer_2

I just hope DEFENSE is at the top of Harris mind when making decisions. Badoo is a so so fielder who can not throw and a liability in the outfield despite some good plays due to his speed but not reliable. Adding Mallory to the mix just complicates things. It's why Minnesota (Badoo) and Atlanta (Mallory) passed on them. Carpenter is bad and Hasse is catcher only. 

So it's Greene - Meadows - Verling  left to right for me and as G2 has said we should get started with that ASAP. Maybe use Badoo and Mallory for trades since they both are DH's but should have trade value to the right teams. 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it may have already reached the point where AAA would be doing more good for Baddoo than Meadows, and Meadows would be doing more good for the Tigers, which is why I would make the move. You can always option him back and maybe even rotate Malloy in for a stretch if need, despite the handedness swap. At 23 1/2 it's not like you need to preserve Meadows' options anymore. 

The other aspect is I would want to see  at least a little of what I have in Meadows against MLB pitching this season because it's going to help you plan for next season. I would think they'd want a better idea of whether he is a viable MLB player before the off-season. He might not be able to prove he is with much certainty, but he could well prove he isn't.

Since he's on the 40-man, I suspect he'll get a call in September, if not sooner.  Agree he needs to be challenged at the big league level at some point this season.

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I just hope DEFENSE is at the top of Harris mind when making decisions. Badoo is a so so fielder who can not throw and a liability in the outfield despite some good plays due to his speed but not reliable. Adding Mallory to the mix just complicates things. It's why Minnesota (Badoo) and Atlanta (Mallory) passed on them. Carpenter is bad and Hasse is catcher only. 

So it's Greene - Meadows - Verling  left to right for me and as G2 has said we should get started with that ASAP. Maybe use Badoo and Mallory for trades since they both are DH's but should have trade value to the right teams. 

The Tigers have never really had a good defensive OF since moving into Commercial Park.  One would think that would be a priority, but it hasn't been.  Maybe after 20some previous years and 3 previous GMs it can be something to look at?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The Tigers have never really had a good defensive OF since moving into Commercial Park.  One would think that would be a priority, but it hasn't been.  Maybe after 20some previous years and 3 previous GMs it can be something to look at?

Maybe one more reason they drafted Max Clark.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

That's your Dombrowski/Leyland axis. JL, bless his heart otherwise, just didn't much value defense and that mindset permeated the org pretty deeply for a long time. 

Avila came in talking about defense, and he brought in some decent CF gloves in Maybin, Jones, Cameron, Martin. But he never got as far as improving the corners much and most the CF candidates ended up not hitting or if they proved their value, got flipped like Martin.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

what kind of sadist is managing in Toledo?  They let the reliever absorb 8 runs in the top of the 9th.   Something tells me they aren't managing bullpens as well there as they are in Detroit.

Diaz was efficiently bad, gave up 6 of those runs in only 31 pitches  - and he's not a kid or anything at 28. Ronnie Garca finished up throwing another 19. I didn't even know he was still in the system. I thought both Garcias were history at the end of last yr but I guess Ronnie was just injured.