Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Also all of Badoos great catches are to his glove side I believe. He doesn’t like shopping at the Gap. 

Interesting observation. If I had to think back I'd say I preferred going to my right (I'm RH), easier to see the ball to your glove.

42 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Just to complicate things even more, Baddoo made a highlight reel play taking away a home run, for the benefit of those who say that he isn't a good outfielder.  In his rookie year he looked like a 20/20 player but that seems unlikely now.  It looks like he will stay on the team for the rest of this year, but might start 2024 in Toledo again.  Where he will rake, as usual.

In fairness to Baddoo’s defense, he had another really good play in Kansas City earlier this week and nearly had another one last night.  In fact, he had the ball in his glove, was reaching with the throwing hand to cover it up, but I think instincts got the better of it and his left hand shot out to brace for the dive.  Tough play, hell of an effort, it just kicked off of the heel of the glove.

He has the speed that he should have the range.  Throwing is an obvious problem and might always be.  My untrained eye thinks the non throwing part of the defense is inconsistency.  I don’t think the effort can be faulted.  Everyone has different skill sets and degrees to which they have those and how much they can improve them.

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

In fairness to Baddoo’s defense, he had another really good play in Kansas City earlier this week and nearly had another one last night.  In fact, he had the ball in his glove, was reaching with the throwing hand to cover it up, but I think instincts got the better of it and his left hand shot out to brace for the dive.  Tough play, hell of an effort, it just kicked off of the heel of the glove.

He has the speed that he should have the range.  Throwing is an obvious problem and might always be.  My untrained eye thinks the non throwing part of the defense is inconsistency.  I don’t think the effort can be faulted.  Everyone has different skill sets and degrees to which they have those and how much they can improve them.

In sum: He has the speed and his hands are OK. His routes suffer because he doesn't have the best innate mental fight computer. And the arm is ....mostly mental. He can throw moderately well when he slows it down and thinks it through, but he mostly just fires the ball in a hurry with predictably erratic results. In theory that can be fixable but in practice for many guys it never is. 

So on this team I'd put it:

Riley (arm pretty noodly, but the rest very good) >  Vierling (his hands can be questionable) best arm > McKinstry (seems sound in every aspect of the game) > Baddoo >>> Carpenter, Ibanez, Maton (might be able to be a decent OF but no experience/evidence either way yet).

Aside from the scouting reports we also have Riley's testimonial that Parker is a better fielder than he is, with more straight line speed and stronger arm, so if you put Parker in this OF it's an immediate upgrade no matter whose place he is taking. 

I'm OK with waiting to see if Parker's bat can sustain for while more, but not more than another couple of weeks if Baddoo can't get it in gear.

3 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Sounds like a Kerry Carpenter type

Both 19th round picks... and OF/DH types...

Some similarities there.

Couple key differences: Bigbie has played mostly OF and DH but has also played 88 games at 1B (24 in 2021 and 64 in 2022)... he could back up there I guess... And is RH'ed versus Kerry's LH'ed.

7 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Max Clark skipping FCL and going straight to A ball. Very aggressive. He may be the youngest player in that league. 

I don't hate it. I don't think they play in our A league but I do know the catcher in the Padres system that they signed last year out of Venezuela is in A ball right now and I believe he is only 17 but outside of him I don't think there is anybody else in all of A ball younger than Clark. 

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't hate it. I don't think they play in our A league but I do know the catcher in the Padres system that they signed last year out of Venezuela is in A ball right now and I believe he is only 17 but outside of him I don't think there is anybody else in all of A ball younger than Clark. 

Ethan Salas just turned 17 June 1st in low A

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

BTW it may say more about the current state of pitching prospects in general but Law has Jobe as the 3rd best pitching prospect in all of baseball right now only behind Skenes who was viewed as generational and Tink Hence of the Cardinals. 

The fans view of Jobe is so colored by Marcelo Meyer that it has obscured that Jobe really is a talented prospect in his own right.

It's really that simple. And while I get it, I wish he wasn't so defined by that and I dont think he should be imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Max Clark skipping FCL and going straight to A ball. Very aggressive. He may be the youngest player in that league. 

Wow, you'd think they'd give him at least a couple of games in the fcl to get acclimated and get his timing, coming from high school and metal bats and all.

Edited by Longgone

Hoping to see Jobe get promoted to WM this year so I can catch one of his starts.

Wonder if they might just keep him down in Lakeland though so he can get more reps, easier competition makes it easier to pitch deeper into games, and he still hasn't gotten past 4 IP in a start yet. Curious to see how cautious they are with managing his workload, and how much they're even looking to stretch him out this year.

He's just barely past 100 IP in his career at this point. Coupled with his lack of pitching in HS, he's got so much less wear and tear on his arm compared to everyone else his age. But no way of knowing how he can hold up through 100 pitches or for a full season until he does it.

22 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting observation. If I had to think back I'd say I preferred going to my right (I'm RH), easier to see the ball to your glove.

I was the opposite...liked going go my glove side because it was an easier reach for me