Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder where they will have Wenceel playing. He's been all over the field recently for Erie. Obviously grooming him as a utility guy at this point. Utility guy that can't play SS a little bit limited though.

I suspect he has to really show at Toledo to stay in the organization.  He’s taking up a spot on the 40-man and there might not be room for him after this season.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I suspect he has to really show at Toledo to stay in the organization.  He’s taking up a spot on the 40-man and there might not be room for him after this season.

I think that that is correct, which strikes me as odd because he had a good year at Erie last year, but was not rewarded with a promotion to Toledo this year, until now.  I think that the professional evaluators do not like Wenceel as much as we box score readers do, and they of course have the credibility.  After last year, I wanted him to be the starting second baseman in Detroit this year after the all star break.  Clearly I have no idea about how to judge outcomes.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think his back injury really caused a bit of a hiccup to start the season, he has been on a bit of a tear in July with a .328/.333/.525 slash line. 

On 5/31/2023 at 1:37 PM, LongLiveMaroth said:

Just to reset some expectations here, he is 22 still, and if you look at some of the players taken before you will see a struggle to adjust to pro ball. 

Drafted 6th Jacob Berry .169/.203/.289
Drafted 8th Brooks Lee .268/.342/.435
Drafted 9th Gavin Cross .195/.292/.420
Drafted 11th Kevin Parada  .243/.347/.405
Drafted 12th Jace Jung .221/.345/.376

I tried to pick players that were near Jung and were also coming out of college. What Neto is doing is not the norm so while having him would be fantastic and Jung has to hit to have value I would pump the brakes a bit on writing him off—just my 2 cents. 

With Jung being pushed to AA figured I would update these.

Jacob Berry .227/.278/.369 at A+
Brooks Lee .283/.360/.472 at AA 
Gavin Cross .213/.301/.398 at A+
Kevin Parada .269/.350/.456 at A+
Jace Jung .254/.377/.465 at A+

Brooks Lee living up to his potential clearly and Jacob Berry well not so much. 

you'd just like to see Jace's batting average higher, but everything else looks about right based on his pre-draft profile.  Good OBP and power potential.

Just looking at hitting stats in general, including at the ML level, should we reset our expectations about what good looks like?  It seems like a .270 batting average was pretty pedestrian, especially for a good hitter, but now that seems less achievable.

Is .250 the new .275? 

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

you'd just like to see Jace's batting average higher, but everything else looks about right based on his pre-draft profile.  Good OBP and power potential.

Just looking at hitting stats in general, including at the ML level, should we reset our expectations about what good looks like?  It seems like a .270 batting average was pretty pedestrian, especially for a good hitter, but now that seems less achievable.

Is .250 the new .275? 

just for a base point - if you look at league batters with an OPS+ right about 100, their averages run from 230-280 with most around 250 - so you can sort of take that as your average value hitter's BA range in '23. 

not running any quantitative comparison but just eyeballing the same list in 2014/2015 it does look like averages were running higher for OPS+=100.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

With Jung being pushed to AA figured I would update these.

Jacob Berry .227/.278/.369 at A+
Brooks Lee .283/.360/.472 at AA 
Gavin Cross .213/.301/.398 at A+
Kevin Parada .269/.350/.456 at A+
Jace Jung .254/.377/.465 at A+

Brooks Lee living up to his potential clearly and Jacob Berry well not so much. 

Didn't realize how much Gavin Cross hit the skids once he got to High-A... dang

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Is .250 the new .275? 

I would give up on batting average as an indicator of performance, especially in the short term (year or two), and especially with developing talent.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

I would give up on batting average as an indicator of performance, especially in the short term (year or two), and especially with developing talent.

I'm not suggesting it should be, but making an observation that outfielders today are hitting for the same average that backup middle infielders did in the past. I suspect other stats are down, too, like OPS, runs scored, though I'm too lazy to look it up.