Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Malloy 3-4, HR. even better in July than he was to start season; would be nice if his defense was at least tolerable, but that is still TBD.

image.thumb.png.961c7efb5f474e9927b4b5f5527bb6bf.png

In Malloy's case I can accept the argument that he would not be able to play everyday in the Tiger line-up and you want him to keep getting the max AB. OTOH, I have trouble with the argument that his D is somehow going to get better faster chasing fly balls at Toledo than it would in Det. Grab a coach or teammate and go out early.  Take a field at BP and run down everything you can.  It's basically the same level of opportunity whether it's at 5th/3rd or Copa - the where doesn't change the physics. The series are longer in the minors so there is less day to day re-location, but OTOH, you travel 1st class by air in the majors so the fatigue factor is less - that can't be much more or less than a wash.

But that's JHM, Meadows could play virtually everyday, and his defense is purportedly excellent. If you are still a fan of Baddoo's, at this point getting his head straight at Toledo is probaby better for him than continuing to flail at Det. His BA in 70PA since June 1 is 097! You can't even effectively work on stuff in AB's when your failure rate is that high.

• Thanks 1

Love the reaction after the triple, only rookie ball but still trying to fire up the team, definitely can seem him being a major fan favorite in the future. Also you can see the wheels on him, he was basically rounding second when the ball landed, assuming everything goes as plans he is going to have a field day at Comerica Park. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Clark has a strong presence about him for sure.  He's the the kind of guy for whom you'll have a strong feeling.  You are either going to love him or hate him.  There's not going to be any in between with this guy.  He's destined for one of only two possible outcomes.  He is either going to be a superstar or a bust.  That's just the way it is.   

Edited by Tiger337

Not comparing them as players but in terms of personality on the field he strikes me as somebody that is going to be like an Elly De La Cruz and Tatis Jr. have been, extremely animated that plays with a bit of "swagger" and is "fun to watch". The type of guy that you may find annoying if you are a fan of the opposition but love him when he is on your team. A total contrast to the more reserved Riley Greene. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Toledo L 7-2
Meadows 1/4 HR RBI K
Malloy 1/4 2K
Keith 1/4 2B
Perez 0/2 BB

Erie W 7-1
Cruz 1/4 2RBI BB K 2B
Bigbie 2/4 RBI 2B
Jung 2/4 3RBI 2 K 2HR

WM W 6-5
Gold 0/3 BB
Workman 0/4 RBI 2K
Lipcius 1/2 BB
Allen 1/3 BB
Pacheco 1/3 RBI BB K
Turnbull 3IP 2H 2ER 4K

Lakeland W 7-4
Santana 0/1 2RBI 3BB (.270/.466/.571 for July)
Anderson 0/3 RBI 3K
Bastidas 0/2 2BB K
Brookman 0/1 RBI 3BB

• Like 1

16 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, that tweet seemed odd to me.  3 HR in 4 IP is disappointing to me.

Depends. In a park with long fences, those homers might be outs. HR/FB is seen by many as a luck stat. In the meantime, the things he can control, mainly strikeouts and balls, he killed. So different people may take away different conclusions.

• Thanks 2

Yep also they are scouting his stuff and what he flashed the other day was Ace like according to the statcast numbers and some of the reports I read. 

On top of that he showed improved control by not walking anybody and throwing few balls. Judging by the HRs he prob still has command issues and left balls in the middle of the zone but hes only 20 and making his way back from a long absence so that shouldn't come as a surprise

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Depends. In a park with long fences, those homers might be outs. HR/FB is seen by many as a luck stat. In the meantime, the things he can control, mainly strikeouts and balls, he killed. So different people may take away different conclusions.

That's fine.  But the tweet being talked about is an odd looking piece of information.  3 HR in 4 IP and yet top 3 stuff in the minors.  The sentences don't necessarily go together at first glance.

On 7/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, LongLiveMaroth said:

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

That's fine.  But the tweet being talked about is an odd looking piece of information.  3 HR in 4 IP and yet top 3 stuff in the minors.  The sentences don't necessarily go together at first glance.

OK, I see. I had interpreted your comment of "disappointing" as being disappointed in his outing. I think it was a mixed outing at worst, and we could make the case that it was a pretty good outing overall considering the outcomes he could control more (nine strikeouts and no walks in five innings), and despite the outcomes he has less control over (three bombs).

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, I see. I had interpreted your comment of "disappointing" as being disappointed in his outing. I think it was a mixed outing at worst, and we could make the case that it was a pretty good outing overall considering the outcomes he could control more (nine strikeouts and no walks in five innings), and despite the outcomes he has less control over (three bombs).

Depends on what pitches he's giving up the bombs on. If he's hanging breaking balls and they're getting hit, that happens to everyone and it would bother me less than if his FB is getting hammered because it has no life and he can only use on the corners.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Depends on what pitches he's giving up the bombs on. If he's hanging breaking balls and they're getting hit, that happens to everyone and it would bother me less than if his FB is getting hammered because it has no life and he can only use on the corners.

Would also be good to know how many were catchable balls that glanced off the outfielder’s glove or forehead and went over the fence?