Pacheco 0/3 BB K
Melton 5IP 2H 5K (ERA down to 1.91) 

Lakeland W 10-6
Santana 1/3 RBI 2BB 2K
Dingler 0/4 BB 2K
Bastidas 0/3 RBI BB 2K
Sequera 1/5 2RBI 3K HR

• Like 1

Looks like more 2023 draftees have been assigned to the FCL and Graham has been sent to Rehab with them. Jim Jarvis was moved to Lakeland as well. 

08/03/23 SS Kevin McGonigle assigned to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23 RHP Carlos Lequerica assigned to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23 RHP Andrew Dunford assigned to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23 RHP Donye Evans assigned to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23 Lakeland Flying Tigers sent SS Peyton Graham on a rehab assignment to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23 RHP Jatnk Diaz assigned to FCL Tigers.
08/03/23

RHP Luke Stofel assigned to FCL Tigers.

Edited by LongLiveMaroth
  • Like 1

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

I remember reading a very positive article last year about a very young shortstop in the Tigers organization. Christian Santana. Looking up his stats this season, he doesn't look like he's doing very good. Is he playing against older players?

they could have kept him in Complex league, but FSL is age appropriate; absolutely brutal April May and June. has really turned it around though; season stats may not look that bad if he can keep it going

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I remember reading a very positive article last year about a very young shortstop in the Tigers organization. Christian Santana. Looking up his stats this season, he doesn't look like he's doing very good. Is he playing against older players?

So according to B-Ref he is 2.1 years younger than average for A-ball just a little concerning this being his second time through the league. He had a torrid July(.270/.466/.571) but April-June was rough. To give you some context he has only hit against pitchers younger than him in 8 AB's this season. He definitely has an eye for the ball even with a  .167 BA for the year his OBP is .384. I know he struggled with some injuries last year and he missed some time in May which could have also been an injury. I think next year will be very telling for him. I would like to see them push him to High-A if he finishes the year off strong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

they could have kept him in  Complex league, but FSL is age appropriate; absolutely brutal April May and June. has really turned it around though; season stats may not look that bad if he can keep it going

Hopefully the article I read last year was accurate. Sounded like he was a "can't miss" prospect. Pretty young and raw but a lot of potential. The only downside they could come up with was his young age. When I saw his stats this season, I thought he was either hurt or playing with older and more established players. Thanks for the update!

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they've kind of moved on from him like they have with Austin Meadows.      Has there been ANY news on him lately?   It's almost like he never existed.   

I believe he is playing tonight for Toledo in game 1 of the DH.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they've kind of moved on from him like they have with Austin Meadows. 

so pretty much 2 full years without facing MLB pitching for Meadows? Next season he's a yr away from 30. It's getting to where he might not be able to recover his hitting timing again even he tried to come back.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, Didn't hear that.   I hope he can work it out, but I remember Nick Esasky (who, if I remember right, was pretty comparable to Meadows hitting-wise).  Esasky never came back from the Vertigo issue. 

I think he means Kreidler is playing tonight for the Hens and he's 2/4 so far. Parker Meadows and Malloy each with a HR also. 17th for each.

But Gipson-Long abused for 6 runs in 4.2IP.

They should send JHM to winter ball to learn to be a catcher.

Edited by gehringer_2

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think he means Kreidler is playing tonight for the Hens and he's 2/4 so far. Parker Meadows and Malloy each with a HR also. 17th for each.

But Gipson-Long abused for 6 runs in 4.2IP.

They should send JHM to winter ball to learn to be a catcher.

Why do people believe a player needs to be older to be a DH.   If he is a good enough OBP guy but he can't field a lick, then use him the way he should be used and don't try to force it.      He'd have to learn so much to be a Catcher that it would probably distract him from improving as a hitter.    He's just a DH that can fill in the corners in the OF when they need it.  

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why do people believe a player needs to be older to be a DH.   If he is a good enough OBP guy but he can't field a lick, then use him the way he should be used and don't try to force it.      He'd have to learn so much to be a Catcher that it would probably distract him from improving as a hitter.    He's just a DH that can fill in the corners in the OF when they need it.  

If he has a good bat, you can get him more AB if he can play a position. A RHH is going to get the short end of the playing time at DH because odds are a team has a good LHH that can't field. In the Tigers case, that is Carpenter. who is already in line to take most of the AB at DH once Cabrera is gone.

As to whether he can do it. probably not, but you you never know until you try. He supposedly came up as an IF so he should have the arm. Granted catcher is something you probably don't ask a guy to do, he volunteers to try. But they need to keep thinking outside the box.

Edited by gehringer_2