Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

9 hours ago, Toddwert said:

At what point does Parker get the call up? He’s back to killing it and Hasse and Badoo arent

There's is near 0 reason to bring him up before September. 

Carpenter and Greene need ABs. There is no reason to risk loss of draft pick or starting his clock for two extra weeks .

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

Carpenter and Greene need ABs. There is no reason to risk loss of draft pick or starting his clock for two extra weeks .

I think it should be a relief from the down beat of this season to see if they have anything in P Meadows, but to be honest.   even best case I'm doubting he's going to be a player whose clock setting is going to be a big deal. Of course I hope I'm wrong about that!

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

Parker is not going to be a top 100 PPI guy. Keith is the only one who is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

How could they look at Issac Paredes build and not see power ?  Did they take him for a base stealer ? Jee wiz. If he had gotton Matons  leash we wouldn’t be looking for a third baseman. 

Re Paredes, I think that they didn't like his glove very much and weren't sure where to hide it.   Offensively his strength should have been OBP but his was always awful at the major league level, including last year at Tampa, just brutal.  So now this year, for the first time, he is fulfilling all that promise that he showed, years ago, winning the Mexican Pacific batting title at age 21.  He always had talent.

Now finally, at the age of 24, you stick his glove at 3rd base and leave it there, because the bat now makes up for any defensive shortcomings.  He's going to have a nice career and make a lot of money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Did Max Clark retire after the triple? Why isn't he playing?

Well he did play another game or tried to but it was cancelled by lightning in the 2nd. I am guessing they are doing a lot of conditioning and instructional things on the side. They have shown a sporadic use of the 2023 draftees as they are probably wary of having them do too much as they have already gone through what was  a season they had conditioned for. 

8 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

How could they look at Issac Paredes build and not see power ?  Did they take him for a base stealer ? Jee wiz. If he had gotton Matons  leash we wouldn’t be looking for a third baseman. 

image.thumb.png.bc452f1ef8c76d9db5a4c4fdb6bcfb4f.png

Seems like a guy Harris would try to acquire.

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Seriuous question...what does  "top 100 PPI guy" mean?

Cruzer answered correctly, I'll go more into detail.

The new CBA has a Prospect Promotion Incentive draft pick rule. If you have a player who was rookie eligible, ranked in Top 100 by at least 2 of the 3 preseason prospect rankings (ESPN, BA, MLB), makes the opening day roster and has a full year of service time, that team gets a pick after the first round if that player wins the Rookie of the Year or ranks highly in MVP voting before they hit arbitration. This is why Tork was on the MLB roster last year (and why Greene would have been if he didn't get hurt), and why the Tigers don't want to burn Colt Keith's rookie eligibility so he doesn't drop off those prospect lists. Parker Meadows is not going to be a Top 100 prospect.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Cruzer answered correctly, I'll go more into detail.

The new CBA has a Prospect Promotion Incentive draft pick rule. If you have a player who was rookie eligible, ranked in Top 100 by at least 2 of the 3 preseason prospect rankings (ESPN, BA, MLB), makes the opening day roster and has a full year of service time, that team gets a pick after the first round if that player wins the Rookie of the Year or ranks highly in MVP voting before they hit arbitration. This is why Tork was on the MLB roster last year (and why Greene would have been if he didn't get hurt), and why the Tigers don't want to burn Colt Keith's rookie eligibility so he doesn't drop off those prospect lists. Parker Meadows is not going to be a Top 100 prospect.

Why do they have be in the top 100 on some arbitrary list?  Why can't anyone qualify?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

which is why I don't understand limiting it too arbitrary top 100 lists.  

I believe it’s because top 100 prospects were the most likely to be held down at the start of the season for an extra year of control which is what the union was trying to help solve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

which is why I don't understand limiting it too arbitrary top 100 lists.  

Spoken like a Braves exec who didn't get a pick for Strider's season last year.

But yeah... it's to incentivize not suppressing the service time of top prospects and get them in the majors.

12 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Spoken like a Braves exec who didn't get a pick for Strider's season last year.

But yeah... it's to incentivize not suppressing the service time of top prospects and get them in the majors.

But "top prospect" is arbitrary.  What one organization might view as a top prospect might be different from another organization and both organizations might want to suppress the service time regardless of whether they appear on a list.  

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

But "top prospect" is arbitrary.  What one organization might view as a top prospect might be different from another organization and both organizations might want to suppress the service time regardless of whether they appear on a list.  

To some degree, but but don't you think most exec view the same guys, though the order might change, as the top 75 or so.

It's not like we're just talking 10. Do we really think a bunch of teams have a guy at 25 and he doesn't appear on the baseball ameica or pipeline top 100?

6 hours ago, casimir said:

image.thumb.png.bc452f1ef8c76d9db5a4c4fdb6bcfb4f.png

Seems like a guy Harris would try to acquire.

Yes and it’s the difference between old school and new analytic POBO’s or Al v Harris. Mike I was too slow too see this and make the switch. Peter Angolos or his son in Baltimore did and switched GM sooner which is why the Orioles , who used to suck like us , have flown past us. Harris can do the same but not trading Erod does slow things a bit. 

But I do think Mike Elias is the best in the game.