Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, KL2 said:

To some degree, but but don't you think most exec view the same guys, though the order might change, as the top 75 or so.

It's not like we're just talking 10. Do we really think a bunch of teams have a guy at 25 and he doesn't appear on the baseball ameica or pipeline top 100?

I think one exec's 50th player might be another exec's 110th.  But, even if they did view them all the same, one organization that didn't have a top 100 prospect might be inclined to suppress the service time of one of their top prospects.  Should that organization not be incentivized to bring him up when he's ready?  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think one exec's 50th player might be another exec's 110th.  But, even if they did view them all the same, one organization that didn't have a top 100 prospect might be inclined to suppress the service time of one of their top prospects.  Should that organization not be incentivized to bring him up when he's ready?  

I'm not even sure how this incentivizes bringing up top prospects when they're ready when it clearly incentivizes holding high prospects back from being brought up mid-season.

• Like 1

I think they just had to draw a line somewhere and ownership wanted nothing and the Players wanted everyone so 100 was the line

That would by my guess as well.  

yes that's what happened. 

But you're making it seem like 800 different players appear on someone's top 100 list. Come on isn't that just being silly to be silly and argumentive? Can't you imagine its something like 150 or so guys on all of em? 

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

yes that's what happened. 

But you're making it seem like 800 different players appear on someone's top 100 list. Come on isn't that just being silly to be silly and argumentive? Can't you imagine its something like 150 or so guys on all of em? 

No, I never said anything remotely like that.  I asked a simple question and kept asking it a different way until people got it.  Not surprisingly, you weren't one of the helpful ones.    

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Spoken like a Braves exec who didn't get a pick for Strider's season last year.

But yeah... it's to incentivize not suppressing the service time of top prospects and get them in the majors.

I think more to provide some PR that they are not suppressing service time while still leaving owners free to suppress service time for 90% of players. 

• Like 1

I still question how much it actually effects a team's strategy, I mean sure getting an extra pick at the end of the 1st round is nice but is the prize big enough to alter how you really want to handle things especially given that it takes the player winning the ROY just to get that pick? 

Like if the Tigers really wanted to see what Keith looked like and give him reps in August and September so he has big league reps under his belt so next year there won't be a learning process at the start. I'm not so sure that management would say "Well maybe we shouldn't do that cause you know we could get a pick in the 30s(which normally don't amount to much anyway) if we wait till next year to look at him AND he happens to beat out dozens of other guys for the sole rookie of the year award in our league?" 

Edited by RandyMarsh

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think more to provide some PR that they are not suppressing service time while still leaving owners free to suppress service time for 90% of players. 

I don't know if it's as high as 90%.  There aren't a lot of players where they would worry about service time.  It's just that the 100 cutoff seems arbitrary to me.  If they genuinely want it to be an incentive, just make everyone eligible.  As others have mentioned it's probably not a significant incentive in most cases which is probably why the union didn't push it all the way.  They would just be giving up leverage on more important issues.  

Bigbie 2/4 today. He now has almost the same number of AB in AA as in A, and his average is higher, HRs are higher, OBP is higher, Ks are lower. Not much else you can ask a guy to do.  I would think that should be a ticket to the next level.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bigbie 2/4 today. He now has almost the same number of AB in AA as in A, and his average is higher, HRs are higher, OBP is higher, Ks are lower. Not much else you can ask a guy to do.  I would think that should be a ticket to the next level

Who knows if Bigbie will pan out, but is this further evidence that the complete overhaul of the developmental staff is yielding positive results? Carpenter last year. Bigbie this year. Meadows huge strides. Perez to a lesser extent. Plenty of busts but that is the nature of the business. I just don’t remember over a two-year period so many guys in the Tigers system making significant strides. Probably just brings us to the middle of the pack in terms of development successes but that’s progress. 

Edited by SeattleMike

8 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Who knows if Bigbie will pan out, but is this further evidence that the complete overhaul of the developmental staff is yielding positive results? Carpenter last year. Bigbie this year. Meadows huge strides. Perez to a lesser extent. Plenty of busts but that is the nature of the business. I just don’t remember over a two-year period so many guys in the Tigers system making significant strides. Probably just brings us to the middle of the pack in terms of development successes but that’s progress. 

It certainly appears that way with the hitters.  However, the pitchers have seemed to regress some.

Bigbie was old for A and about median for AA.  I would think a promotion to AAA soon would be reasonable given his success and age this season.

A cursory look at his digits and he's hit vs everybody all season.  I suppose he's had a few hitless games.  But the thing that I wanted to see was his split vs pitcher age.  It appears he's hit vs older and younger pitchers.

image.png.e7f010b674c20e2504eee0d72c8b4a54.png

Bigbie is a little older but otoh he wasn't drafted till 2021 so this is only his 2nd full season in pro ball which to me helps offset the age and something I pay attention to. If he was drafted out of HS and this was say his 5th or 6 season in pro ball I would feel worse about his age but that isn't the case. 

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Teams have always been free to suppress service time, and they have only ever done it for top prospects.

If a guy isn't projected to be an impact player, he's not being held down to suppress service time, he's being held down because he's not good enough to force his way to the majors. 

15 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Time to give him his shot. He’s 23 not 21. Been raking for 2 plus months. Is this decision being determined entirely by MLB housekeeping rules?

What is the benefit of calling him up two weeks early? 

he ain't gonna lead us to the playoffs. We aren't gonna get more clues on whether he is good or not. You have to lose someone off the ML roster. What is the benefit to give up the other parts that you risk? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KL2 said:

What is the benefit of calling him up two weeks early? 

If you think this is going to be a piece of the MLB team, then every week of experience he gets against MLB pitching puts him that much closer to being the piece of the team you want him to be. Or in short, at this point he is wasting weeks of a short career. That's the tradeoff. We can argue what the opportunity cost is and what course yields the optimum return, but it is not zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bigbie is a little older but otoh he wasn't drafted till 2021 so this is only his 2nd full season in pro ball which to me helps offset the age and something I pay attention to. If he was drafted out of HS and this was say his 5th or 6 season in pro ball I would feel worse about his age but that isn't the case. 

Good points.