Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, lack of some team somewhere. Actually it seems untenable to have a 20 round draft and only one rookie league team to try to shoe horn most of them into. Maybe there was an assumption that with increasing numbers of college players being drafted some of them could start at higher levels, but even among college players you are only talking about players from the 1st couple of rounds likely to be able to straight to A ball. That's not much of dent in your 20 rounds of players.  Baseball clearly hadn't thought the future out very clearly. What else is new? 

FWIW, baseball execs and scouting and development staff were uniformly against this, it was the owners and MLB who pushed it through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Zach Hess is on a rehab assignment in the FCL. I remember when he was the closer of the future.

I remember watching him in that Tigers intra squad game that they televised leading up to the Covid shortened season and I remember being blown away with his stuff, at that point I wouldve bet the house that he'd be an impact late inning reliever within the next calendar year.

9 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

The NY /Penn league was a great parking spot for college rookies...leaving the FCL for HS draft picks and kids from the DSL coming stateside.  They need to consider adding a 2nd short season team

I  miss the NY Penn League.  Two of my favorite ballparks were in that league.  

• Like 1

Toledo L 5-3
Meadows 0/4 BB K
Malloy 0/5 RBI
Keith 0/1 (taken out of the game may have hurt something diving at 3rd)
Perez 1/3 SB
Kreidler 0/4 K
Lipcius 2/4
O'Loughlin 5IP 2ER 2BB 8K

Erie W 7-3
Cruz 1/5 2K 
Bigbie 4/5 RBI
Jung 2/5 RBI K 2B
Dingler 2/5 HR 4RBI
Serretti 0/4 K
Lockhart 6IP 3H 9K

WM W 6-4
Gold 0/4 BB 2K
Lee 1/4 BB 2K
Allen 2/5 RBI K SB
Pacheco 0/3 BB 2K
Smith 2.2IP H BB K

Lakeland W 9-7
Stephenson 2/5 RBI 3B
Jarvis 0/4 BB
Anderson 4/5 2 2B 2RBI
Santana 1/4 HR RBI
Lee 0/3
Hill 2IP 2ER 3K

FCL GM 1 W 5-2
Clark 2/3 HR 2B BB 3RBI OF assist
Briceno 0/2
Campbell 1/3
Peck 0/1 2BB
Rucker 0/2 BB K

FCL GM 2 W 3-0
McGonigle 0/2 BB SB
Gil 2/3 2B CS
Briceno 1/3 HR 2RBI K
Campbell 1/2 BB
Perez 0/3 2K
Hess 0.2IP 1H BB K

11 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Like...Bigbie, man...you're not a prospect, OK?  You're just going to have to learn how to deal with it.

It's not like this a just a 75 AB fluke. He has hit 300 across 750 MiLB PA and 1000 OPS over his last 300 at A+/AA. He found a stride after a slow start in rookie ball and hasn't looked back. I assume he's another guy they don't know where to play.

Future oriented move: Send out Ibanez or Maton, bring Meadows to Det,  Bigbie to Toledo.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not like this a just a 75 AB fluke. He has hit 300 across 750 MiLB PA and 1000 OPS over his last 300 at A+/AA. He found a stride after a slow start in rookie ball and hasn't looked back. I assume he's another guy they don't know where to play.

Future oriented move: Send out Ibanez or Maton, bring Meadows to Det,  Bigbie to Toledo.

I like Ibanez but he is 30 and probably won't be here for the next real run so might as well see what the kids have. I am skeptical but Maton since getting recalled has a 110 wRC+. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bigbie is legit—interested to see where he ends up on prospect rankings this offseason.